Lower elevation scrambles in the front range area

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
powhound
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Lower elevation scrambles in the front range area

Post by powhound »

So far everything posted is north of Golden. Anyone know of any down south, closer to the Colo. Spgs. area?
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

Brian C wrote: What's the deal with the ridge from Eldo to S Boulder? Keep hearing people talk about it and seems like nobody does it.
I've tried to get people to try it, but no one seems interested. I'm guessing it's really dangerous.

Either that, or the RT turns people off. The ridge just S. of S Boulder Peak looks incredible.
justiner
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

powhound wrote:So far everything posted is north of Golden. Anyone know of any down south, closer to the Colo. Spgs. area?
There's tons of climbing areas near CO Springs. depending on how you define, "low elevation", you can go to the Lost Creek Wilderness for some fun summits, that don't need climbing gear.

Also the South Platte area - Long Scraggy has been on my TODO for a while.
http://www.summitpost.org/west-face-lsp/405289" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lots of amazing looking peaks in that area.
justiner
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

jerseybrian wrote: I was talking about the huge gully that most of the water came down in the flood. There's a climbing access trail near the bottom of the royal arch trail that splits off into it. I was trying to find the ghetto bouldering area which I still haven't found. I did find that the gully is a quick and fun way to get to the east summit. I'd also like to check out some of those formations. So much to do just in the back yard! Any good ones you can scramble off when done? I've also wanted to try the tangen tunnel. Sounds fun! Is that the huge cave just NE when you're up on royal arch?
Huh, I never thought of following the gully up - every time I've cross it, it's been sort of a PITA. There's a climbers trail from Tomato rock, coming from the SE, and yeah some trails to various parts of the Third that cross it to the NW. I don't think I've found the Ghetto either. From S Side of the Third, there's an interesting gully that you can take down from the start of the SW Chimney route on the Third. You'll pass right by the WC Fields Pinnacle. And other that takes you to the bottom of the Ironing Boards. Possible I've went right by it!
Brian C
14ers: 45  5 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (25)

Post by Brian C »

justiner wrote:
Brian C wrote: What's the deal with the ridge from Eldo to S Boulder? Keep hearing people talk about it and seems like nobody does it.
I've tried to get people to try it, but no one seems interested. I'm guessing it's really dangerous.

Either that, or the RT turns people off. The ridge just S. of S Boulder Peak looks incredible.
Why would it be dangerous? Would the goal be to actually stay on rock the whole way? I guess I've never paid that much attention to that ridge so can't quite picture what it looks like. I would interested in checking it out.
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth
jerseybrian
14ers: 39  1 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jerseybrian »

justiner wrote:From S Side of the Third, there's an interesting gully that you can take down from the start of the SW Chimney route on the Third. You'll pass right by the WC Fields Pinnacle. And other that takes you to the bottom of the Ironing Boards. Possible I've went right by it!
I think this is the gully that i'm talking about.
When I get out I feel more alive - Doug Coombs
Jesse M
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jesse M »

powhound wrote:So far everything posted is north of Golden. Anyone know of any down south, closer to the Colo. Spgs. area?
You could drive down old stage road, and explore that area. Mount Vigil apparantly has a short low class 5 final pitch. I was just on Saint Peters Dome this past weekend, this is a fun short hike with a scramble like finish ;), and plenty of good opportunity to scramble around the two summits. The picture shows the parking area(Duffield?) and Mount Vigil, along with a few other peaks from the summit of the dome.
Attachments
stpeters dome.jpg
stpeters dome.jpg (230.96 KiB) Viewed 751 times
"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything."
justiner
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

Brian C wrote: Why would it be dangerous? Would the goal be to actually stay on rock the whole way? I guess I've never paid that much attention to that ridge so can't quite picture what it looks like. I would interested in checking it out.
Interestingly enough, it looks like there's a route description in the first edition of Roach's Flatiron guide,

http://www.wwwright.com/climbing/minion ... aments.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With an F2 rating, as well as listed on the SP page as Class 4:

http://www.summitpost.org/south-boulder ... #chapter_6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'd think that the best way to get 'er done is start at S. Mesa TH, S. Mesa to Old Mesa -> Shirttail Peak, then follow the ridgeline up? Go down Shadow and rejoin Mesa Trail.

Another option would be to start in Eldo, and take a different route up Shirttail. I'm not familiar enough with Eldo to know if there's a more technical/fun route up to the ridgeline, then to Shirttail, to do the "full" ridgeline.

Bailing out would be easy enough, just go off the west side of the ridge.
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 290 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

justiner wrote: Another option would be to start in Eldo, and take a different route up Shirttail. I'm not familiar enough with Eldo to know if there's a more technical/fun route up to the ridgeline, then to Shirttail, to do the "full" ridgeline. .
Gambit is quality.
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
Brian C
14ers: 45  5 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (25)

Post by Brian C »

justiner wrote:
Brian C wrote: Why would it be dangerous? Would the goal be to actually stay on rock the whole way? I guess I've never paid that much attention to that ridge so can't quite picture what it looks like. I would interested in checking it out.
Interestingly enough, it looks like there's a route description in the first edition of Roach's Flatiron guide,

http://www.wwwright.com/climbing/minion ... aments.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.summitpost.org/south-boulder ... #chapter_6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'd think that the best way to get 'er done is start at S. Mesa TH, S. Mesa to Old Mesa -> Shirttail Peak, then follow the ridgeline up? Go down Shadow and rejoin Mesa Trail.

Another option would be to start in Eldo, and take a different route up Shirttail. I'm not familiar enough with Eldo to know if there's a more technical/fun route up to the ridgeline, then to Shirttail, to do the "full" ridgeline.

You're right! It is in Ed. 1 and I had sitting on the shelf. He does not mention a rating, so that must be something that somebody added after doing it. He simply states that a few formations must be navigated or avoided and it can be challenging. I'd like to go check it out.
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth
jerseybrian
14ers: 39  1 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jerseybrian »

Brian C wrote:
justiner wrote:

Why would it be dangerous? Would the goal be to actually stay on rock the whole way? I guess I've never paid that much attention to that ridge so can't quite picture what it looks like. I would interested in checking it out.

I just did the ridge from just north of Shirttail and went to the summit of S Boulder. I didn't have time to do Shirttail because of fading light. I started at S Mesa trailhead which according to summit post is easier than starting at Eldo. This ridge is no joke! It was very exposed almost that whole length. Route finding was a challenge to keep from getting cliffed out. I had to backtrack several times to keep it relatively class 4. It looks pretty long but once you start you see how long it actually is. I thought the summit was just ahead so many times. Lots of great scrambling though. Also there's about 3-4' of snow on the ridge which made it a little more of a challenge. I can definitely agree with this route being dangerous.
When I get out I feel more alive - Doug Coombs
handonbroward
14ers: 42 
13ers: 46
Trip Reports (5)

Post by handonbroward »

justiner wrote:

Sooo would you mind maybe highlighting those routes on that map so I can visualize a little better? And any interest in attempting it? Sounds like it could be a pretty wild scramble and I am always looking for something more extreme than the 2nd Flatiron close to home.
"I hurt, therefore I am" - Barry Blanchard