Beginner Thanksgiving Hikes

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mckynzee
Trip Reports (0)

Beginner Thanksgiving Hikes

Post by mckynzee »

Hey everyone!
I'm a CO native but I go to school out of state. It's been way too long since I've been home and able to see my beautiful mountains, and I'm finally getting to come back over Thanksgiving. Anyways.... looking for any hikes that would still be doable this point of the year for someone at my ability level. I've done some more beginners peaks like Bierstadt and Democrat but that was in summer weather conditions. No experience with spikes or anything equipment like that but I would definitely be interested in learning some new gear if necessary. Let me know.... Thanks!
randalmartin
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 48 2
Trip Reports (13)

Re: Beginner Thanksgiving Hikes

Post by randalmartin »

What area of the state will you be staying over Thanksgiving?

If you will be along the front range and since it sounds like it would be your first winter hiking experience I would suggest something in RMNP. Maybe rent some snowshoes at REI. Not sure if you feel the need to summit something or just get out in the snow a bit.
alpha
14ers: 3 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by alpha »

If you're going to RMNP, rent the snowshoes from Estes Park Mountain Shop. Super cheap and you can take your pick of style, including MSR Lightning Ascents with heel lift bar, all for the same price.
nomad
Trip Reports (1)

Post by nomad »

Hi Welcome back to Colorado. :) if you are in Northern Colorado, RMNP is a great option! The weather changes very quickly in the Park this time of year so plan accordingly. I am up there every Monday and Tuesday if you want some company.
" The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war"
Recon 1st inf. Div.
Broken Knee
13ers: 28
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Broken Knee »

Every time I've done Twin Sisters on Thanksgiving, it's been a gale force white out. So I recommend Twin Sisters.
When life gets you down, climb!
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

I recommend the south side of Loveland Pass. It is above treeline so you have fantasic views from the start. You climb as much as thousand feet depending on how far you go.

The slope is usually windswept of most snow, so you may not need any special gear. Hiking poles or microspikes can be helpful sometimes. But you have to prepare for a strong wind that could give you face and fingers frostbite.

The pass road closes during storms and is ice-packed for 24 hours after a storm. It goes by three ski resorts. So you can buy a hot chocolate or meal at Loveland Resort or Keystone and watch the skiers. Free parking.

I-70 has massive jams at times during Thanksgiving weekend.