The Incline Manitou Springs time lapse

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mikefromcraig
14ers: 53  24 
13ers: 57
Trip Reports (15)

The Incline Manitou Springs time lapse

Post by mikefromcraig »

This is before the significant improvements recently.

3 minute time lapse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mziPOrLo4v0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"I don't believe anyone who says they would prefer to die on a mountain in their 30s than in a hospital in their 90s."
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Re: The Incline Manitou Springs time lapse

Post by rijaca »

A visual history of the Incline. (Much more interesting than the previous video)

[youtubevideo]/ZQG-9OTsyRE[/youtubevideo]
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Wow, hadn't seen that before. Thanks!
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
jrs1965
14ers: 58  1  3 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jrs1965 »

With all the recent SS I'm not sure if I would agree on the Incline having been improved.

FWIW, here's a picture of the Incline summit Christmas Tree I shot yesterday...
Attachments
10Dec15.jpg
10Dec15.jpg (114.31 KiB) Viewed 1485 times
mikefromcraig
14ers: 53  24 
13ers: 57
Trip Reports (15)

Post by mikefromcraig »

jrs1965 wrote:With all the recent SS I'm not sure if I would agree on the Incline having been improved.

What does "SS" mean? I'm assuming it is some way to refer to increased foot traffic?

If so I definitely see what you are saying. It could get busy a few years ago when it was "illegal" I can't imagine now.

Well, what do you expect going to a metropolitan area with half-a-million people to do an outdoor activity?
"I don't believe anyone who says they would prefer to die on a mountain in their 30s than in a hospital in their 90s."
jrs1965
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jrs1965 »

mikefromcraig wrote:
jrs1965 wrote:With all the recent SS I'm not sure if I would agree on the Incline having been improved.

What does "SS" mean? I'm assuming it is some way to refer to increased foot traffic?

If so I definitely see what you are saying. It could get busy a few years ago when it was "illegal" I can't imagine now.

Well, what do you expect going to a metropolitan area with half-a-million people to do an outdoor activity?
SS = s**t Storm created by the parking drama. The tactic has been working though. Probably a combination of the off season and the increased parking fees there have been plenty of people not parking on Ruxton.
tlongpine
14ers: 27  1  2 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (4)

Post by tlongpine »

That was great. Thanks for sharing.
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.
climbingaggie03
14ers: 5 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingaggie03 »

jrs1965 wrote:SS = s**t Storm created by the parking drama. The tactic has been working though. Probably a combination of the off season and the increased parking fees there have been plenty of people not parking on Ruxton.
ugh, couldn't agree more! The real losers have been barr trail users in my opinion. The barr trail parking lot used to be free (rough, dirt, and questionably safe) but free! now it's $5 a day ($10?) to park at the barr trailhead. which sucks if you just want to do a day hike/bike ride. Not to mention all the downhill traffic from the incline.

I've done the incline a few times and it's a nice challenge but the Parking drama in manitou is lame
England
Trip Reports (0)

Post by England »

No parking drama what so ever. Just lazy f-n people......that I don't get....are you not there for a work out? No you are not....you are there to be part of the SS =(s#!+ show). Plenty of free parking on the edge of Manitou, just have to walk a bit farther. Thus the parking drama (when are they installing the escalator because the incline should be for everyone). 15 years ago I used the incline as a short cut to get to Barr Camp to do improvments and rarely saw anyone. REMINDER=DOGS ARE NO LONGER ALLOWED ON THE INCLINE! Yes I yelled that beacuse apparently some people can't read.....sooooo I guess that was usless.
K
Peter Gallagher quote: "Many people say I move fast for a guy that's out of shape. Then I just remind them that round is a shape".

I have survived 3 avalanches...all my fault. yes i'm a dumb-ass!
jrs1965
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jrs1965 »

England wrote:No parking drama what so ever. Just lazy f-n people......that I don't get....are you not there for a work out? No you are not....you are there to be part of the SS =(s#!+ show). Plenty of free parking on the edge of Manitou, just have to walk a bit farther. Thus the parking drama (when are they installing the escalator because the incline should be for everyone). 15 years ago I used the incline as a short cut to get to Barr Camp to do improvments and rarely saw anyone. REMINDER=DOGS ARE NO LONGER ALLOWED ON THE INCLINE! Yes I yelled that beacuse apparently some people can't read.....sooooo I guess that was usless.
K
Yeah, something I noticed yesterday was how it is the off-season when there's typically only the "regulars," yet I saw more dog s**t than typically seen in peak season...
climbingaggie03
14ers: 5 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingaggie03 »

You know, if I'm going to do the incline, I don't mind walking up ruxton, but it sucks when I want to do other things up there but can't conveniently because of the parking drama with the incline.