Flattop Mountain/Hallett Peak Question

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
MTGOAT72
14ers: 22 
13ers: 50
Trip Reports (3)

Flattop Mountain/Hallett Peak Question

Post by MTGOAT72 »

Hey,
I'm thinking about heading up Flattop and Hallet this Sunday. I wanted some thoughts on avalanche danger along the normal route. Is the aspect of the route safe from avalanche danger or should I look elsewhere?
Thanks
koeffling
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 130 3
Trip Reports (10)

Re: Flattop Mountain/Hallett Peak Question

Post by koeffling »

I (half heartedly) attempted Flattop last Saturday. There was one set of tracks that picked a questionable trail which I followed for about a mile before turning back because it was through too many trees, over boulders, and deep snow, ok- I got lazy. I'm not sure if they made it to the summit, the ridge looked fairly wind blown. Bring snowshoes, and it's always windy up there.
In all things of nature, there is something of the marvelous. -Aristotle

If you want to go quickly, go alone. If you want to go far, go together. -African Proverb
moneymike
14ers: 57  57  9 
13ers: 132 123 39
Trip Reports (46)

Post by moneymike »

I went up there a week ago with the http://www.skirmnp.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; group. We went up flattop via the standard route/trail and then over to Hallett. There was absolutely no avalanche danger on the route up. It is wind scoured above tree line and low angle.

We skied the SE face, which definitely has avy danger, but unless you are skiing, you don't want to take that exit.
"Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford

"Slow and steady wins the race (unless you're racing someone who is fast and steady)."
MTGOAT72
Trip Reports (3)

Post by MTGOAT72 »

moneymike wrote:I went up there a week ago with the http://www.skirmnp.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; group. We went up flattop via the standard route/trail and then over to Hallett. There was absolutely no avalanche danger on the route up. It is wind scoured above tree line and low angle.

We skied the SE face, which definitely has avy danger, but unless you are skiing, you don't want to take that exit.
Thanks for the info, sounds like that' where I'm headed this weekend.
Cheers!
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

moneymike wrote:We went up flattop via the standard route/trail and then over to Hallett. There was absolutely no avalanche danger on the route up. It is wind scoured above tree line and low angle.
Things can change quickly. A couple feet of new snow everywhere. The CAIC map is blinking red in half the ranges.
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 290 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

As moneymike said, there is no avy hazard on the Flattop trail. CAIC ratings don't matter if there's no avalanche terrain on-route. But a reminder of avy danger in unfavorable terrain is never a bad thing, so thanks for pointing that out.
Last edited by Monster5 on Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
gspup
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gspup »

^ exactly.

Peter303, if you've ever been up Flattop/Hallet you would know there is no concern whatsoever.
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

gspup wrote:^ exactly.

Peter303, if you've ever been up Flattop/Hallet you would know there is no concern whatsoever.
That said, actually getting through the below-treeline portion of the trail can be a real challenge after a heavy snowfall. I've had the frustrating experience of having to abandon a winter Flattop attempt after failing miserably to find the trail, and wallowing aimlessly through many feet of unconsolidated snow.
goobs42
14ers: 13  1  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by goobs42 »

I was up there sunday, before snow hit, and there was a path was visible below tree line and pretty well compacted on way up. Made it to top of flattop along with two other guys. Above treeline was wind blown and regular trail was visible most of the time. All three of us did it without snow shoes, just micro spikes, but spent a lot of time falling through snow on the way down when it was a little softer. Was several other groups that did use snow shoes. Def windy at the top. I guess it might have changed since then.
mrvwbug
14ers: 23 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mrvwbug »

Is it possible to make it all the way over to Andrews Glacier in winter? Though I suspect that couloir below Andrews Tarn has some definite avy danger in winter.
andrewrose
14ers: 6  5 
13ers: 18
Trip Reports (5)

Post by andrewrose »

mrvwbug wrote:Is it possible to make it all the way over to Andrews Glacier in winter? Though I suspect that couloir below Andrews Tarn has some definite avy danger in winter.
Yes, you could go all the way to Powell if motivated. I'd agree that the area below Andrews Tarn is of concern, definitely steep enough.
CEO and head pancake maker at http://www.hikingrmnp.org
MTGOAT72
Trip Reports (3)

Post by MTGOAT72 »

I ended up having a great day on Flattop. Thanks you to all that answered my questions. I also tried a new app out so here is a link to the GPS Track - https://www.gaiagps.com/datasummary/tra ... 363b5f2d1/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;