Help a man propose to his lady?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ChrisinAZ
14ers: 58  14 
13ers: 36
Trip Reports (12)

Re: Help a man propose to his lady?

Post by ChrisinAZ »

Ormes Peak is a great one, though dependent on road conditions on Rampart Range Rd. Great summit views of Pikes, the Springs, the Front Range, etc from the summit. Very easy if you find the right route! Here's my TR: http://listsofjohn.com/tr?Id=4399&pkid=3412" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."
— Jack Handy

Mah peaks
gspup
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gspup »

ChrisinAZ wrote:Ormes Peak is a great one, though dependent on road conditions on Rampart Range Rd. Great summit views of Pikes, the Springs, the Front Range, etc from the summit. Very easy if you find the right route! Here's my TR: http://listsofjohn.com/tr?Id=4399&pkid=3412" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Go to Chataqua in Boulder. Super easy hikes...or should I say walks with killer scenery of the flatirons. Great opportunities for engagement pics, booze is close by to celebrate after and it's less than two hours from the springs. Easy peasy. 8)
KentonB
14ers: 58 
13ers: 56
Trip Reports (3)

Post by KentonB »

gspup wrote:Go to Chataqua in Boulder. Super easy hikes...or should I say walks with killer scenery of the flatirons. Great opportunities for engagement pics, booze is close by to celebrate after and it's less than two hours from the springs. Easy peasy. 8)
Agree about the beauty of Chautauqua Park, but might be hard to find solitude.
gspup
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gspup »

KentonB wrote:
gspup wrote:Go to Chataqua in Boulder. Super easy hikes...or should I say walks with killer scenery of the flatirons. Great opportunities for engagement pics, booze is close by to celebrate after and it's less than two hours from the springs. Easy peasy. 8)
Agree about the beauty of Chautauqua Park, but might be hard to find solitude.
I think the OP said he was doing it on Wednesday ..so it shouldn't be too bad.
hop2it
14ers: 16 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by hop2it »

ChrisinAZ wrote:Ormes Peak is a great one, though dependent on road conditions on Rampart Range Rd. Great summit views of Pikes, the Springs, the Front Range, etc from the summit. Very easy if you find the right route! Here's my TR: http://listsofjohn.com/tr?Id=4399&pkid=3412" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I tried to look at your trip report and it said that I needed a login and password to connect to it??
Floriado
14ers: 14 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Floriado »

cupid mountain!!!

[url] http://trailparkreviews.blogspot.com/20 ... 555th.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; [url]
Doug Shaw
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Doug Shaw »

Floriado wrote:cupid mountain!!!
Normally that would be a great idea since it IS pretty short, BUT he doesn't want to be freezing, plus since they're coming from sea level the day before, going up to 13K might be problematic - altitude sickness would certainly mar the experience.

A couple lower peaks but which I recall as having some dramatic scenery to them would be Cap Rock in Monument (I am not the "Doug" on that TR, and I don't really remember all the boulder hopping shown in the pictures, but it's been a decade since I was there), or Stove Mountain about 600 feet above St. Mary's Falls on the south end of town. The southern exposure from the summit was pretty amazing - towering almost 1700 feet above the South Cheyenne Creek drainage.
ChrisinAZ
14ers: 58  14 
13ers: 36
Trip Reports (12)

Post by ChrisinAZ »

hop2it wrote:

I tried to look at your trip report and it said that I needed a login and password to connect to it??
My apologies! Didn't realize the trip reports weren't accessible there without an account. Here it is below, along with a link to the SummitPost page:

http://www.summitpost.org/ormes-peak/185362" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2015-05-07 - ChrisinAZ
Report Created 2015-05-09

Nice quick after-work hike I did on the spur of the moment--in dress shirt and slacks, dress shoes, and tie! Found the start of Rampart Range Rd, which is open but still heavily posted against entering the national forest on foot. This prohibition was lifted somewhere shortly before FR-302, which I turned down in my car, and found initially quite passable. However, there's an area of water erosion that's very clearly blocked off with some traffic cones a few tenths of a mile down the road, so I turned around, pulled off at an unauthorized parking spot shortly up the hill, and set off walking.

I followed the road toward the peak, planning to start my "bushwhack" around 9320' on the peak's WSW ridge. I took advantage of an obvious turnoff with a yellow sign warning against burnt forest hazards, took this shortly uphill to a camping area, scooted around some intentionally-placed deadfall on the right, and found a fainter road through the woods. A few minutes later, at a small saddle at around 9380', I continued straight--and picked up a faint, yet unmistakable trail! This trail headed steeply up the west slopes of the mountain, reached the saddle south of the true summit, and turned north, passing through a small bouldery area just below the summit. The top was mostly open, and on this day afforded clear views of the Colo Springs metro area, Cheyenne Mountain, Thunder Butte, and Pikes and Almagre dipping out of the clouds.

Returning, summit-to-car time was all of 23 minutes. The drive back to GotG, however, took over an hour from my trailhead. The roundtrip on this hike can't be more than 2 miles from where I started. It's a shame the road is blocked off, as everything past the few hundred feet around the blocked area would be doable in a passenger car. Oh well, makes this one at least a little bit of a hike!
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."
— Jack Handy

Mah peaks
Hungry Jack
14ers: 12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Hungry Jack »

I think the deed may already be done (hopefully with agreement all around), but I wanted to note that I witnessed one of the most horrifically awkward and ill-advised proposals ever made. My girlfriend and I were dining at Giacomo's in Bostons North End, a very cozy and casual restaurant, when some poor sop a few tables down got up, demanded everyone's attention, and told some corny story about seeing the stars at night and wishing for his true love, blah, blah, blah. I don't think he ever looked at her--just kept his soliloquy going far too long.

It was awful. I felt terrible for the girl. She deserved much better. This should have been a private moment in a setting where she was the center of his attention and in a place of significance to her. Instead, she was a sideshow to some attention-seeking act. The poor girl. I hope she got a redo.

The moral: if you are going to ask someone to commit the rest of his\her life to you, ask that person in a way that shows the utmost respect. It's not a production for others to see (not to suggest that OPs plan is. I actually proposed to Mrs. Jack on the top of Taos Mtn)
please rotate your device
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Doug Shaw wrote:Stove Mountain about 600 feet above St. Mary's Falls on the south end of town. The southern exposure from the summit was pretty amazing - towering almost 1700 feet above the South Cheyenne Creek drainage.
Truly a nice summit, but I tried it once in winter and found the north side covered with a few feet of loose powder. I'm not sure this qualifies as a short day even in summer, maybe the guy and his girl are mountain marathoners, though.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
Alicat423
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Alicat423 »

Follow up story please :)
<3
skycripp
Trip Reports (0)

Post by skycripp »

Thank you to all for the suggestions! You have been immensely helpful.

At this point, I'm leaning toward Raspberry, Mt. Rosa or Mt. Cutler (unfortunately I strained my calf on a trail run two days ago so I'm afraid that the 12 miles to Mt. Rosa might put me closer toward a rupture).

I will most certainly follow up with my final plan, and post a trip report.

Thank you so much!