Help a man propose to his lady?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
larkinrx2
14ers: 35 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Help a man propose to his lady?

Post by larkinrx2 »

not said here yet but dont expect dry conditions as rampart range has snow and there will be melt / thaw ice

something close to the springs would also be Palmer lake reservoir. back in late December is was boot packed to the Reservoir then snow shoes beyond to keep the posting to mins

Midweek hike and didnt see a person until close to parking lot on way back
What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - That's all I need the ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, and this magazine, and the chair and I don't need one other thing, except my dog.
[Shithead growls at him]
I don't need my dog.
KentonB
14ers: 58 
13ers: 56
Trip Reports (3)

Post by KentonB »

skycripp wrote:At this point, I'm leaning toward Raspberry, Mt. Rosa or Mt. Cutler
My 2 cents on these options:

Raspberry: Probably your best bet. Generally good roads to the trailhead and you should have reasonable solitude this time of year with moderate hiking distance/elevation gain.

Mt. Cutler: Nice, easy, short hike, but you will have company... sometimes a lot of company. Also, expect icy trail conditions.

Mt. Rosa: There is a back approach via Frosty's Park that doesn't require 12 miles. I'm certain the road to Frosty's is snowed in this time of year, but you could get "close" on Gold Camp Road (which usually IS accessible year round). It's probably only 6 miles round trip from that point.

Here's one more thought. If you'd like a really short Class 3/4 rock scramble with spectacular views and with really easy trailhead access, you might consider "The Pinnacle" in North Cheyenne Canyon. It has a bit of exposure, but I've taken friends up it with no climbing experience and they did fine. Here's a link: http://www.listsofjohn.com/peak/171155. And it isn't nearly as bad as it looks in the picture (approach is from the opposite side).
skycripp
Trip Reports (0)

Post by skycripp »

KentonB wrote:
skycripp wrote:At this point, I'm leaning toward Raspberry, Mt. Rosa or Mt. Cutler
My 2 cents on these options:

Raspberry: Probably your best bet. Generally good roads to the trailhead and you should have reasonable solitude this time of year with moderate hiking distance/elevation gain.

Mt. Cutler: Nice, easy, short hike, but you will have company... sometimes a lot of company. Also, expect icy trail conditions.

Mt. Rosa: There is a back approach via Frosty's Park that doesn't require 12 miles. I'm certain the road to Frosty's is snowed in this time of year, but you could get "close" on Gold Camp Road (which usually IS accessible year round). It's probably only 6 miles round trip from that point.

Here's one more thought. If you'd like a really short Class 3/4 rock scramble with spectacular views and with really easy trailhead access, you might consider "The Pinnacle" in North Cheyenne Canyon. It has a bit of exposure, but I've taken friends up it with no climbing experience and they did fine. Here's a link: http://www.listsofjohn.com/peak/171155. And it isn't nearly as bad as it looks in the picture (approach is from the opposite side).

I read up on that approach to Rosa on SummitPost. My only hesitation is that I'll be driving a medium sized rental car (which usually ends up being something ridiculous like a Chevy Spark) so I'm not sure I could make it up Gold Camp with anything other than perfect conditions. Thoughts?
KentonB
14ers: 58 
13ers: 56
Trip Reports (3)

Post by KentonB »

skycripp wrote:I read up on that approach to Rosa on SummitPost. My only hesitation is that I'll be driving a medium sized rental car (which usually ends up being something ridiculous like a Chevy Spark) so I'm not sure I could make it up Gold Camp with anything other than perfect conditions. Thoughts?
As far as the road itself, high clearance is not needed. I've driven it in my old Corsica and an 8-passenger conversion van with no problems whatsoever. It is also generally accessible in the winter, however (full disclaimer) I have not been up there this season since we've gotten snow, so I can't speak for how icy/snowy it might be. Maybe others can weigh in who have been there recently?

If you have the luxury of time, you could always give it a try and if the road looks too dicey, it's fairly easy to find a spot to turn around... and then head for something else as "Plan B".
rharriman
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rharriman »

How did it go? I didn't see this post early enough but Herman would have fit the bill as one other suggested, I have a feeling the quesiton is popped up here from time to time as I hike it regularly and have recently seen rose petals in the snow, lol (see picture)
Attachments
IMG_0943_1.jpg
IMG_0943_1.jpg (188.38 KiB) Viewed 1173 times
skycripp
Trip Reports (0)

Post by skycripp »

Hello all!

First off, let me apologize for taking so long to update the thread here. After the trip I jumped directly into a new job that required relocation, various weeks of travel, etc.. It's kept me busy to say the least.

Back to the topic at hand: she said yes! I took her up to Raspberry Mountain on January 20th, 2016 and popped the question. The hike was absolutely gorgeous and we had the fortune of not encountering anyone else at the summit (or anywhere else for that matter). The weather was beautiful with blue sky over Pikes, and a foreboding storm rolling in over the Ivy's (looked pretty impressive).

I couldn't have asked for a better spot to pop the question, and I can't thank all of you enough for guiding me there. I've attached a picture for your enjoyment (sapphire is her birthstone, hence the lack of a diamond as the main stone).

http://www.14ers.com/usercontent/userpi ... 3759_l.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KSU Wildcat
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by KSU Wildcat »

Skycripp -

Congratulations! (Now the real work begins.) :)
Climb on!
yrastorza
Trip Reports (4)

Post by yrastorza »

awesome, man. congrats !
Rick Canter
14ers: 31 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Rick Canter »

Absolutely heartwarming. Congratulations! Best of luck with the changes and a wonderful life together...
hop2it
14ers: 16 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by hop2it »

Congratulations!!
skycripp
Trip Reports (0)

Post by skycripp »

Thank you to all! I plan to keep you all posted by way of sharing our trip future trip reports and outdoor adventures. Cheers!