Help a man propose to his lady?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
skycripp
Trip Reports (0)

Help a man propose to his lady?

Post by skycripp »

I need help thinking of/finding a perfect spot to ask my girlfriend for her hand in marriage. We're flying out to Colorado Springs (my hometown) on Tuesday and am planning on popping the question on Wednesday (Jan 20th).

I'm looking for a shorter peak (we're coming from sea level, and I don't want her to be freezing/miserable on the summit) on the quieter side preferably within an hour or two from the Springs. I would also like to avoid any avy risk greater than "minimal."

Any suggestions of short/easy summits, hiking trails with great views of the front range, mountain lakes, etc?

Thanks in advance!
CO Native
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (50)

Re: Help a man propose to his lady?

Post by CO Native »

Raspberry Mountain is a nice relatively short hike with great views of the north side of Pikes Peak. It's not a very busy peak in the winter.

Signal Butte is a very easy hike with great 360 degree views.

Thunder Butte is nearby with similar views as signal butte but is very rarely climbed. There really isn't even a trail.

Mount Rosa has a great view of Colorado Springs.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com
jrs1965
14ers: 58  1  3 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jrs1965 »

skycripp wrote:I need help thinking of/finding a perfect spot to ask my girlfriend for her hand in marriage. We're flying out to Colorado Springs (my hometown) on Tuesday and am planning on popping the question on Wednesday (Jan 20th).

I'm looking for a shorter peak (we're coming from sea level, and I don't want her to be freezing/miserable on the summit) on the quieter side preferably within an hour or two from the Springs. I would also like to avoid any avy risk greater than "minimal."

Any suggestions of short/easy summits, hiking trails with great views of the front range, mountain lakes, etc?

Thanks in advance!
Nooo!!! lol, jk. In town there is Blodgette Peak near Rockrimmon Drive or Eagle Peak on the USAFA. Also, I wouldn't call it great location but there's the Incline Summit, full moon on the 23rd. About 10 minutes beyond the Incline Summit and up a short Class 4 scramble is the Eagles Nest...

Good Luck...
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Mount Rosa in January, that's a good one. :lol: If they don't summit will she say "no"?

Try Mount Cutler. Bring traction aids (yak trax should suffice).
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
hop2it
14ers: 16 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by hop2it »

That's such a sweet idea! I think Raspberry Mountain is really pretty too. Or how about Pancake Rocks? I like the Woodland Park and Green Mountain Falls area, and I bet there are some really beautiful hikes around there too. Good luck and let us know how it goes :)!
CO Native
Trip Reports (50)

Post by CO Native »

Jim Davies wrote:Mount Rosa in January, that's a good one. :lol:
What? I was just up there, it wasn't bad. I provided a range of difficulty in the list.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

He did say "on the shorter side". :roll:
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
CO Native
Trip Reports (50)

Post by CO Native »

If you end up on wanting to hike and just want a great view where you won't run into many people (if any) there is a great spot on Rampart Range Road (assuming snow doesn't make the road too difficult).
fall_2011_033.jpg
fall_2011_033.jpg (258.77 KiB) Viewed 1603 times
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

You could do what I did - on the way down Berthoud after a day of skiing we were talking about looking at houses... and I said, "We really ought to think about getting married, then."

I sometimes (OK, most of the time) wonder why the hell she married me.

:mrgreen:
Hoot
14ers: 58 
13ers: 150
Trip Reports (36)

Post by Hoot »

Mount Herman is a nice option on the north side of town with great views. It's an easy hike from the road (not sure of current road conditions) and a stiff workout up the Northeast Ridge.
Monte Meals
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Monte Meals »

1) Get someone at the top of Pikes to bake your ring inside one of
their disgusting donuts

2) Drive to the top of Pikes

3) Warn your bride to be not to break a tooth and/or make sure her
dental insurance is up to date.
AyeYo
14ers: 13 
13ers: 13 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AyeYo »

skycripp wrote:I'm looking for a shorter peak (we're coming from sea level, and I don't want her to be freezing/miserable on the summit) on the quieter side preferably within an hour or two from the Springs. I would also like to avoid any avy risk greater than "minimal."
I think that all actually adds to the fun. I just popped the question a few weeks ago after a difficult hike to Chicago Lake. She was cranky and miserable. Made it really easy to just pull the ring out and be like, "here you go, crabby pants." :-"