Joe Mills Mountain Beta

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
chicagostylehotdog
14ers: 57  1  1 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Joe Mills Mountain Beta

Post by chicagostylehotdog »

Does anybody have beta on Joe Mills Mountain from Bear Lake TH in RMNP? Planning to hike it tomorrow morning. Following the route shown in the map here: http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=953423" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Planning on skinning with my splitboard as I don't own snowshoes, though I have snowshoes if that would be a better mode of travel here. The limited info I've read point to little to no avy danger on this route (taking the mellower NE ridge to the summit).

Any input is appreciated.
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Joe Mills Mountain Beta

Post by AlexeyD »

chicagostylehotdog wrote:Does anybody have beta on Joe Mills Mountain from Bear Lake TH in RMNP? Planning to hike it tomorrow morning. Following the route shown in the map here: http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=953423" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Planning on skinning with my splitboard as I don't own snowshoes, though I have snowshoes if that would be a better mode of travel here. The limited info I've read point to little to no avy danger on this route (taking the mellower NE ridge to the summit).

Any input is appreciated.
While I don't have any recent beta, my recollection of the trail to Fern Lake is that much of it is either rolling or flat, and hence would not make for a very good descent - especially if you have deep snow. For what it's worth, the Flattop trail offers a more consistent pitch, and is reasonably wide for the most part. The last few hundred feet below the summit are typically windblown and unskiable, but there's probably a good 500 to 1000' between treeline and the windblow areas that offer nice turns and reliable snow.
alpha
14ers: 3 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by alpha »

I hiked near to Lake Helene in the Spring of last year and had decently packed trail.
One thing is that the closer we got to Marigold Pond/Two Rivers Lake the more the winter trail diverged from the summer trail. The trail basically dropped us at the south end of Two Rivers Lake.
I suspect given where your link shows you leaving the trail that this will be a non-issue.
chicagostylehotdog
Trip Reports (0)

Just to clarify, I do not plan to take the skins off for a descent ride. Just using them as a heavy alternative to snowshoes to provide some floatation because it's gear I already have.
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

No recent info but I've done it twice with snow. The trail is usually defined most of the way to where you branch off, but is easy to lose after the second clearing. There is a bit of a drop into and across a stream then a short but steep climb up. When I last did it this was tough climbing up deep powder. It's a fairly open south slope though. Near the top is a rock slab scramble section so it would be tough to skin up that. Had to pop off snowshoes for that bit. The eastern ridge and slopes are open glades and ideal for a ski descent down and across the meadow below. You can rejoin the trail back to bear lake from across the meadow
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
ChrisRoberts
14ers: 12 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ChrisRoberts »

cougar wrote: The eastern ridge and slopes are open glades and ideal for a ski descent down and across the meadow below
From what I remember from a summer ascent, dropping off the east ridge towards Round Pond sucked because of the scrubby willows and junipers. But, they were low to the ground and will probably be covered if there's enough snow up there.
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
NoCoChris: Now with less Colorado!
DaveLanders
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DaveLanders »

ChrisRoberts wrote:
cougar wrote: The eastern ridge and slopes are open glades and ideal for a ski descent down and across the meadow below
From what I remember from a summer ascent, dropping off the east ridge towards Round Pond sucked because of the scrubby willows and junipers. But, they were low to the ground and will probably be covered if there's enough snow up there.
Round Pond is NE of the summit; that is the easiest terrain to get to the summit of Joe Mills. The south side of Joe Mills (directly above the trail near Lk Helene) is difficult because of krummholz (ask me how I know :-D ); it would take a lot of well consolidated snow to cover that stuff. The link that the OP posted shows a good route.
Every village has at least one idiot. Successful villages choose someone else to be their leader.
ChrisRoberts
14ers: 12 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ChrisRoberts »

DaveLanders wrote:
ChrisRoberts wrote:
Round Pond is NE of the summit; that is the easiest terrain to get to the summit of Joe Mills. The south side of Joe Mills (directly above the trail near Lk Helene) is difficult because of krummholz (ask me how I know :-D ); it would take a lot of well consolidated snow to cover that stuff. The link that the OP posted shows a good route.
East...it's kind of a relative term some days :-D You know, over yonder way
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
NoCoChris: Now with less Colorado!
chicagostylehotdog
Trip Reports (0)

Follow-up report: Snowpack was pretty stable as far as I could tell. All the trails were snowpacked from snowshoers/skiers. Once we diverged from the established trails, we broke trail for a bit through deep, but supportive snow. In many places, snowpack was well over 3' as my pole could not reach the ground. We expected a windscoured NE ridge, but were greeted with deep and consolidated snow all the way to the false peak (~10,950). I continued in just boots to the summit on a route full of postholing. Coming back from the summit to the false peak I found a much better route closer, but not quite on, the ridge proper. Got 10-12 good turns in on the splitboard on 20-25 deg slopes before switching back to skis and skiing out. Took about 3h up and 1h down.