Hiking near Breckenridge?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
scramble
14ers: 35  4  6 
13ers: 23 1
Trip Reports (3)

Hiking near Breckenridge?

Post by scramble »

Hey does anybody have some favorites with low avy risk, nice scenery, not so exposed to wind? Like maybe a hike to a lake. Looking for 5-7 ish hour snowshoe. Would be kinda nice to have an established trench. Would drive an hour from Breck for an awesome hike. Found summer hikes on the internet, but curious if there are some popular winter favorites. Thanks!!
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Hiking near Breckenridge?

Post by AlexeyD »

Montgomery Reservoir/Wheeler Lake comes to mind. Less than 20 minutes from town and great scenery. Even if you don't make it Wheeler Lake, the valley between North Star and Mt Lincoln is absolutely beautiful.
scott goldberg
14ers: 41  2 
13ers: 37 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by scott goldberg »

Here's one of my favorite sites...hope it helps

http://www.dillonrangerdistrict.com/win ... l_list.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Loveland Pass has awesome views and probably dont need snow shoes on the south side. But it usaully has wind.

You could hike up Quandry until at least the treeline and a view. It usually has a trench from the crowds.
dennywitte
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dennywitte »

If the wind is not too bad it is fun to drive to Hoosier Pass and then trek east and north up along Hoosier Ridge. The views are spectacular. You can head all the way over to Red Peak at 13215.
James Dziezynski
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by James Dziezynski »

For a safe winter route I like the Mohawk Lakes. You can park at the winter parking area at Spruce Creek Road just a few miles outside of Breck. There, you can snowshoe the road or take a forest trail that parallels it to the old Continental Mine. Past that are the Lower Mohawk Lakes (where this icy picture was taken) and above that, the Upper Mohawk Lakes - with great views of Pacific Peak. It's about the time and mileage you're looking for, relatively safe terrain, close to Breck and there are lakes!
frman-lake.jpg
frman-lake.jpg (349.44 KiB) Viewed 813 times
“Dogs teach us a very important lesson in life: The mail man is not to be trusted.” — Sian Ford
rpdawes
14ers: 18  1 
13ers: 41 2
Trip Reports (7)

Post by rpdawes »

peter303 wrote:Loveland Pass has awesome views and probably dont need snow shoes on the south side. But it usaully has wind.

You could hike up Quandry until at least the treeline and a view. It usually has a trench from the crowds.
I recommend Quandary Peak because I had been there in February. Hoosier Pass is a lot better than Loveland Pass since the road to the latter has been closed too often (almost daily) due to avalanche protocols. Occasionally avalanches hit the Loveland Pass road. CDOT does issue alerts to subscribers. That's how I keep up to date with what's going on.
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

You can try the 4x4 roads behind Keystone towards Montezuma. Peru Creek and so on. Usually there are tracks when I'm back there.

Also the North Tenmile and Meadow Creek trailheads, both off I-70, are usually booted down for a couple miles in. Same with Mt. Royal, but up to Victoria and Peak 1 you're on your own.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
mountainute
14ers: 42  1  5 
13ers: 16 1 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by mountainute »

Hi Scramble,

Mayflower Gulch is a popular and easy winter hike/snowshoe or ski. Go up from Copper towards Leadville until the obvious PLot. Mayflower Gulch is described in many guidebooks.

Best, mountainute
mtgirl
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtgirl »

You could hike up Boreas Pass road from the winter closure to the pass and back. It may get a bit windy up near the pass, but there are huts on the pass and the route will be beat down by foot traffic (and probably snowmobile traffic). It's usually "microspikable".......there, I made up a new word. :)
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."