Greyrock - current conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
lordhelmut
14ers: 50  21  5 
13ers: 300 60 1
Trip Reports (73)

Greyrock - current conditions

Post by lordhelmut »

Anyone been up to Greyrock in Poudre Canyon lately? What is the trail like this time of year? Is that a popular place/snowshoe trail in the winter as well? Just wondering as I have no idea on what conditions are like up there this time of year.

Thanks for any help.
alpha
14ers: 3 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Greyrock - current conditions

Post by alpha »

From what I have seen it is still pretty popular.
Also the true parking lot becomes a bit of a death trap due to packed snow/ice and tree cover preventing any melting. It is easy to slide down the hill on the way out into oncoming traffic. Because of this, people park along side the road, but that parking is extremely limited.
Can't really speak to trail conditions, sorry.
acidchylde
14ers: 30 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by acidchylde »

I can't give you specific current conditions. It is a popular trail year round. With the snow we've had recently and the warmup the past couple of days, I'd expect the trail to be a combination of hardpacked snow/ice on the steeper sections, well-trenched anywhere not steep and shady, and a slushy wet mess in those spots that actually get sun. Probably wouldn't need snowshoes, just traction if you want/have it. Unless you planned to do the loop, in which case that's less traveled, probably more so in winter, and might actually warrant shoes depending.
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

same as what's been said - it's a south facing foothills route and pretty popular. Most of the 'loop' is south facing open grassy slopes although the section coming up from the meadow will be north facing and could be still holding some snow (most east facing slopes like Horsetooth are still showing snow although it's been warm). I wouldn't lug snowshoes for any potential short sections like that though (will likely be muddy across the meadow and snowy coming out of it). Especially if you do the loop clockwise then you're descending what would likely be the snowiest stretch. And I'd park at the pullout along the road.
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
lordhelmut
14ers: 50  21  5 
13ers: 300 60 1
Trip Reports (73)

Post by lordhelmut »

Thanks guys. The thought of sliding down that parking lot down on to CO-14 is both an amusing and horrific mental image. I appreciate the heads up.
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

Brian C and Mike O led a trip up the "Weenie route" (actually I think it was a low class 5 variation called the Beanie) last spring. That was a lot of fun.

Looking to doing the Weenie one or the Beanie again this spring if you're interested.

http://www.summitpost.org/the-weenie-route/161086" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
swashbuckler
14ers: 13 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by swashbuckler »

We went up last week. I don't think snowshoes would ever be usable on the trail. It was pretty much a sheet of ice and dog s**t all the way up the canyon route, and was sparse ice to the top of greyrock. We went back down the canyon route, but others said the meadows route was icy as well. The gf used microspikes, but I didn't need them.

The trailhead will be completely full on any weekend at all times. There is plenty of parking on the road. The poudre canyon should be completely cleared up to Greyrock from the Fort Collins side. With this nice weekend weather you might not be able to find parking during peak times though. I suggest a sunrise/sunset hike.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

12ersRule wrote: Looking to doing the Weenie one or the Beanie again this spring if you're interested.
I could be very interested in such a gathering.

I'd also be interested in hitting up one of the easy south face routes as well; wouldn't mind a revist to this splitter...

Make wilderness less accessible.
Brian C
14ers: 45  5 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (25)

Post by Brian C »

Dave and Dave - Let me know. I'd love to come along.
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth
Derek
Trip Reports (57)

Post by Derek »

lordhelmut wrote:Anyone been up to Greyrock in Poudre Canyon lately? What is the trail like this time of year? Is that a popular place/snowshoe trail in the winter as well? Just wondering as I have no idea on what conditions are like up there this time of year.

Thanks for any help.
Regarding parking : You can always go a bit further to the Hewlett Gulch TH and go up from there. (Follow Hewlett Gulch Trail, then up to Greyrock Meadow and eventually meet with the standard Greyrock trail.)

Regarding snow : I've been there bone dry in Feb, wallowing in March, then dry one week later in March. Pretty much assume that it fluctuates with the rest of the foothills. If it snowed recently in the city, its probably going to be snowy. If it hasnt snowed in a bit, probably dry. Only once have I used snowshoes there, and it was after a big dump of snow.

Regarding fun : Going from Hewlett Gulch allows you to go by "Aiguille du Greyrock" on the way. A really fun summit scramble, favorite of the whole group there. (Although I have not done any of the technical routes on Greyrock itself.) North Greyrock was decent too. The other unnamed peaks around there are "eh".

Here is a TR I did years ago on the whole group in that area, map gives an idea of the Hewlett trail and location of the other random summits: http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=7755
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

Brian C wrote:Dave and Dave - Let me know. I'd love to come along.
Absolutely! I'll let both you guys know!
KyleS
14ers: 44  5  7 
13ers: 25 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by KyleS »

I hiked up the standard trail yesterday. Hardpack/icy until the trail split, then dry/muddy to the switchbacks where it was packed snow on the northerly sections. Above the switchbacks, the snow was avoidable and the south face climbing routes looked dry enough, a little water running down in a few places. No snowshoes necessary, microspikes were helpful for the first half mile but not necessary.

I'd love to meet up for a climb as well, if you'd let me tag along. I've scrambled around that west side a bit, but I'm not sure if I actually found the Weenie Route or not.