snowmass-capitol backpacking loop

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
rdp32
Trip Reports (0)

Re: snowmass-capitol backpacking loop

Post by rdp32 »

I really have to start using Google Earth! Thanks again for the input. I really want to do this loop but may hold off until next year to give me 4 days to do it (just in case I need the extra day). I have many other routes on my bucket list, though...
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

rdp32 wrote:Thanks all for the input! I didn't even know that the "Haystack Pass trail" was an "old" trail
To clarify, it's not old like abandoned or de-listed, but appears it may have been re-routed slightly along more sustainable features (less erosion prone, better protected, gentler slope) at some point where earlier sections may persist. Footpaths can predate the USFS.
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
JTOlson26
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by JTOlson26 »

The trek to Moon lake and the evening spent there is one of my fondest mountain memories. Getting there was hell.

I really want to go back now that I have a better idea of the area. We only saw one group (two people) and it was fairly early in the day. A fairly remote feel for a sometimes busy area on the whole.
rdp32
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rdp32 »

"The trek to Moon lake and the evening spent there is one of my fondest mountain memories. Getting there was hell."

I'm not sure if that inspires me to go there or not!
docjohn
Trip Reports (7)

Post by docjohn »

Check out http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... m=tripmine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, my experience getting to and from the Moon Lake area from Snowmass Trailhead. It was a dry summer, I walked across Snowmass Ck with dry boots. The highlight is still getting lost, up and down, in the timber where you intersect the Haystack Trail. I ran into a group that packed over Capitol Pass down to Haystack, but completely avoided the bad stuff. I think they found a traverse north from below Moon Lake, thenfound a timberline route and meadows down. Have fun.
...let me remind you of the pilgrim who asked for an audience with the Dalai Lama.
He was told he must first spend five years in contemplation. After the five years, he was ushered into the Dalai Lama's presence, who said, 'Well, my son, what do you wish to know?' So the pilgrim said, 'I wish to know the meaning of life, father.'
And the Dalai Lama smiled and said, 'Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?'

procol harum