Non Peak Overnight Winter Backpacking?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
justins
Trip Reports (0)

Non Peak Overnight Winter Backpacking?

Post by justins »

So I'm going to do a 14er day trip Sunday, but want to do an overnight trip Monday>>Tuesday as well. Does anybody have suggestions for a 20-25 mile forest loop in relatively lower elevation? Also someplace I'm not likely to get lost as I am from out of state, have GPS but not currently super keen on winter navigation / mountainous decision, avy aversion decisions.
Alpine
14ers: 55 
13ers: 21
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Non Peak Overnight Winter Backpacking?

Post by Alpine »

Which 14ers will you near?
"You know I've always loved you...and you know I always will." Third Day
justins
Trip Reports (0)

Post by justins »

Mt Yale. But
I'm mobile. I'd like to spend some time hiking in the pines hopefully away from tree wells, and see some frozen waterfalls too if that makes a difference in Colorado... lol I like snow also... :-D
MonGoose
14ers: 58  16  17 
13ers: 51 11 1
Trip Reports (16)

Post by MonGoose »

justins wrote:So I'm going to do a 14er day trip Sunday, but want to do an overnight trip Monday>>Tuesday as well. Does anybody have suggestions for a 20-25 mile forest loop in relatively lower elevation? Also someplace I'm not likely to get lost as I am from out of state, have GPS but not currently super keen on winter navigation / mountainous decision, avy aversion decisions.
You want to do a 20-25 mile solo overnight winter backpacking trip? That mileage is not feasible when you're breaking trail in knee to waist-deep snow wearing an overnight pack. You'll be plenty exhausted after only a mile or two. You could camp on one of the passes (such as Hoosier or Berthoud) a few hundred yards away from your car where you'll get the full winter experience with a lot less risk (be mindful of these crazy winds). If you're dead set on "backpacking", you could hike along an unplowed forest service road for a few miles and camp just off the road.

You won't have to go far to get a Colorado winter camping experience, just know that a lot of things can go wrong in the winter. If your tent blows away, your water freezes or your stove craps out, be sure you can at least hike the road back to the car. As you gain more winter experience, you can push your limits with longer trips. It just takes time to learn the skills needed for winter camping because the consequences are so much more severe than in the summer. Avoid avalanche terrain by checking out CalTopo to keep your slope angle low and the CAIC forecast to minimize avalanche risk. Wherever you end up going, be safe and have fun.
RyGuy
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 230 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RyGuy »

MonGoose wrote:
justins wrote:So I'm going to do a 14er day trip Sunday, but want to do an overnight trip Monday>>Tuesday as well. Does anybody have suggestions for a 20-25 mile forest loop in relatively lower elevation? Also someplace I'm not likely to get lost as I am from out of state, have GPS but not currently super keen on winter navigation / mountainous decision, avy aversion decisions.
You want to do a 20-25 mile solo overnight winter backpacking trip? That mileage is not feasible when you're breaking trail in knee to waist-deep snow wearing an overnight pack. You'll be plenty exhausted after only a mile or two. You could camp on one of the passes (such as Hoosier or Berthoud) a few hundred yards away from your car where you'll get the full winter experience with a lot less risk (be mindful of these crazy winds). If you're dead set on "backpacking", you could hike along an unplowed forest service road for a few miles and camp just off the road.

You won't have to go far to get a Colorado winter camping experience, just know that a lot of things can go wrong in the winter. If your tent blows away, your water freezes or your stove craps out, be sure you can at least hike the road back to the car. As you gain more winter experience, you can push your limits with longer trips. It just takes time to learn the skills needed for winter camping because the consequences are so much more severe than in the summer. Avoid avalanche terrain by checking out CalTopo to keep your slope angle low and the CAIC forecast to minimize avalanche risk. Wherever you end up going, be safe and have fun.
I will second what MonGoose has said.

I realize you are from out of state, but I don't think you understand just how difficult winter backpacking can be here. Especially if you don't have solid gear and experience using it. I also think that given the fact you are mentioning you aren't good with winter mountaineering, avalanche terrain and navigation in general, you should take things one small step at a time. Start with a camp out on Hoosier Pass and see how you do with your gear. If something happens, the car and highway is nearby for a safe retreat. I think you will be saving yourself from a very unpleasant experience at best and a potentially fatal one at worst. Speaking of bad experiences, this was a story that came to mind when I initially read your post. Have a read and realize people do go missing and are found months later:
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/07/18/bo ... ssing.html

Winter backpacking and camping can be great fun, as long as you have the experience, knowledge and gear to do it.

Have fun and be safe. Ask questions and heed the answers more experienced folks give you. (This thread is a good start!)

-Ryan
"Climbing mountains is the only thing I know that combines the best of the physical, spiritual, and emotional world all rolled into one." -Steve Gladbach
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 653 120 15
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

It may be a bit of a contrarian idea, but you may want to try the Colorado hut system. You won't need to bring nearly as much stuff, just the sleeping bag (and food). It's still a great workout. A lot of them are already booked, but you can probably find a spot, especially midweek. Very Colorado thing to do and lots of history associated with them.
http://www.huts.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

Justins,

Of course there are many other options, but how about Glacier Gorge in RMNP? It's not 20+ miles, but it'll have good parking, established trails which should be well packed given our recent warm weather, some frozen waterfalls, gorgeous scenery, etc. Of course there are risks but relatively low IMO unless you drift somewhat far off the track. Just an idea.

Plenty of other options but GG is a great, scenic spot in winter.

-Tom
aweskamp
14ers: 30 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (6)

Post by aweskamp »

TomPierce wrote:Of course there are many other options, but how about Glacier Gorge in RMNP?
+1

This was my first snowshoeing experience and it was a blast. We ended up just walking on the snowed-over creek and up some falls to get to Mills Lake. Adds some variety.

You can make it as long or short as you want and the views are outstanding in winter.