Is June too early for shelf/solitude lakes?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
rdp32
Trip Reports (0)

Is June too early for shelf/solitude lakes?

Post by rdp32 »

Hello, I am looking for hiking/backpacking destination ideas for June (I realize that July-Sep would be better, but my brother can't come then), and was thinking of camping in Glacier Gorge and doing an itinerary something like this:

Day 1: hike to Glacier Gorge campsite, set up camp, hike to Shelf/Solitude Lakes
Day 2: hike to Frozen/Blue/Green Lakes in the shelf/basin above Black Lake
Day 3: hike back to trailhead, hitting sky pond on our way out (after stashing our packs)

We might alter the itinerary somewhat if I learn of other better options. In any case, my main question is, is June (probably the 2nd half of June) too early for these hikes? I've been to upper Glacier Gorge and sky pond, but never that early in the summer. I have microspikes but my siblings do not, and would prefer to find a place where they will probably not be needed. Normally I would just go for it, but I don't want to fly in several people from out of state and then have to bail on our planned trip.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!
Last edited by rdp32 on Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mcmanusj
14ers: 43 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Is June too early for upper glacier gorge?

Post by mcmanusj »

To early to say, it's entirely dependent on the weather we get this spring.
ChrisRoberts
14ers: 12 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Is June too early for shelf/solitude lakes?

Post by ChrisRoberts »

I wouldn't rule it out, but you will likely hit some drifts below Shelf. If it turns out to be an average snow year, it shouldn't be so bad. Solitude is one of the coolest lakes in the park!
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
NoCoChris: Now with less Colorado!
rdp32
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rdp32 »

Thanks. I could totally round up a couple more pairs of microspikes as well if needed, assuming those would be sufficient.
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

at a minimum I'd expect sloppy, wet routes up to those lakes with melting snow - probably more of an issue than any hardpacked snow needing spikes. Especially going up to Shelf and Solitude lakes, there's a large snowfield between the lakes and the route leading up to them is pretty steep, requires crossing Glacier Creek (there are large boulders that can be hopped depending on runoff at that time), and goes up the side of a waterfall (sort of like going to Sky Pond, but with trees), then a wet krummholz patch. Bring a few extra pairs of socks if you're spending a couple days back there. I've been up there around July 4 (2013 I believe) and didn't need any snow gear.
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"