11er Recommendation?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
timf
14ers: 35  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (2)

11er Recommendation?

Post by timf »

So my boy wants to hike up some high peaks, but I want to cut his teeth on some 11K' options first.
I know of the Twin Sisters and Squaw, Papoose, and Chief Mountain.

Any other 11-12K' peaks in the Front, Mosquito, and 10 mile ranges to add to the list?
Thinking class 1 & 2, 2-8 miles round trip, and 1000-2500' gain.

Thanks!
jaymz
Trip Reports (1)

Re: 11er Recommendation?

Post by jaymz »

Geneva Mountain off of Guanella Pass is a pretty gentle little 12er. Lots of solitude on that one, especially compared to the hoards next door.
I can't remember the mileage on it, but it's described in "Colorado Summit Hikes for Everyone."
"But in every walk with Nature, one receives far more than he seeks."
John Muir
Jay521
14ers: 42  10 
13ers: 175 22
Trip Reports (56)

Post by Jay521 »

I concur with Jaymz about Geneva. There are a couple different ways to approach it. User Derek did it this way
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=11374

And I did it from a different starting point.
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=14611

I might also recommend Burning Bear Peak that can also be done from the south (off FS120) or north. (from the Burning Bear Campground off the Guanella Pass road)
http://www.summitpost.org/un-12069-burn ... eak/758742

Both are easy hikes and both have great views. Have fun!
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
Corey17
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 62 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Corey17 »

If you're willing to drive down to Colorado Springs - I'd recommend Mt. Rosa. Can drive up Gold Camp Road to Frosty Park at around 9700 feet, and its a fairly short hike, only a few miles at most. Now, access this time of year might be a challenge - but I'm betting that if you're "cutting your teeth" on some peaks, you're likely to hike in summer? Anyhow Rosa. The views from the top are killer - on one side is the towering Pikes Peak, and the other side is the sprawl of Colorado Springs. Not to mention you'll get some solitude - its in Colorado Springs, and not named "Barr trail" or "The Incline", so nobody else seems to know it exists.

Here's a trip report ~ http://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.ph ... ki=Include" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
chubbles365
14ers: 20 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by chubbles365 »

I'd recommend Flat Top Mountain in RMNP. If you're willing to push it a little further from there you can continue up Hallett Peak, but that's about 10 miles round trip.

Both have great views of Longs Peak, so he can see what he has to look forward to.
"It's all success if it's what you need, do what you like and do it honestly."

Tom Delonge
Jay521
14ers: 42  10 
13ers: 175 22
Trip Reports (56)

Post by Jay521 »

^^ - I totally forgot about Flattop - that's a great one. And if you want a VERY easy one in RMNP, you might think about Deer Mtn.
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=16686
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

Meadow and/or St. Vrain would also be good.
aweskamp
14ers: 30 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (6)

Post by aweskamp »

Estes Cone in RMNP would be a great option for you guys. It sits at 11k, just over 6 miles RT, has great views of Longs, and offers a little bit of easy, optional scrambling near the summit. This was the first peak I took my 11 year old cousin up and she loved it.

Edit: it also has very easy access via the Longs Peak TH and is class 1 or maybe 2 in spots
Last edited by aweskamp on Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

Around Lake Dillon there's Victoria "Peak", Swan Mountain and Tenderfoot Mountain. The latter two require a bit of cross-country but just keep going uphill and you'll get there.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
bking14ers
14ers: 49 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bking14ers »

I agree on Estes Cone. That was a fun quick little summit with an awesome view all around you. Makes you want to go after Longs Peak next.
Everything you want in life is on the other side of fear. -- Margaret T.
You'll never have a better chance to climb that mountain than you do today. -- Dave C.
Dude! I knew you would cave-in once we got up there. -- Dean G.
awake
14ers: 20 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (3)

Post by awake »

RMNP has some great options. Other than Estes Cone, Mt Chapin might be good. Short and awesome hike, with the option of continuing on to some bigger peaks.

Mt. Ida was incredible, but it would be longer hike (about 10 miles, 2500' elevation gain). Might be good for a 2nd hike.
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

Joe Mills Mountain is another nice little 11er in RMNP with great views that's not too long, about 6 miles round trip from Bear Lake - last 1/4 mile or so is a bit of a bushwhack but pretty straightforward. Half Mtn is another one there, steep bushwhack but short and great views of Glacier Gorge.
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"