looking for a an 8-10 mile hike along i70

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Jay521
14ers: 42  10 
13ers: 175 22
Trip Reports (56)

Re: looking for a an 8-10 mile hike along i70

Post by Jay521 »

ORION wrote:Centennial Cone Park access is only about 10 minutes north of I-70. It's the US-6? exit off I-70 a few miles east of Idaho Springs. About a 12-13 mile RT if you do the entire loop. Elevation probably doesn't exceed 8000', and it's a well marked trail that provides unique views of the Front Range. The trail is everything from flat open grasslands to moderately steep and rocky ravines. Very few hikers, and no snow, when I hiked it in April last year. You might need 4-5 hours to do the whole loop, and some days are biker or hiker only. Being so close to I-70 and Denver, I was surprised how remote the more difficult southern part of the loop felt.
Centennial Cone Park is fun - I did a TR on just a short hike up the cone some time back http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=15724 But - be forewarned that on weekends, there is an alternating use rule in effect (mtn bikers but no hikers on one day, reverse on the other day). I couldn't figure out how to embed a link to that pdf but you can get to it from this link.http://jeffco.us/open-space/parks/centennial-cone-park/
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down