looking for a an 8-10 mile hike along i70

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Jump Roper
14ers: 57  2 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (0)

looking for a an 8-10 mile hike along i70

Post by Jump Roper »

I have to drive back and forth from Monument Colorado to Rifle several times in the next few months for work. Anyone have any favorites that are along the I70 corridor that are...
1. Not full of people (ants heading up a trial)
2. avi safe
3. Can be done without snowshoes (Most of the time)
4. Well marked trail
5. Less then 20 minutes off of I70 (Or a side road of which I can use as a detour on my way.)
"Hold on Chuck, we're almost there."
huffy13
14ers: 22 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (30)

Re: looking for a an 8-10 mile hike along i70

Post by huffy13 »

Not sure about the conditions now, but if you're making this commute for the next few months conditions will be good for hiking from Loveland Pass...several good 13ers from that TH.
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.
SoCool
14ers: 49  1  5 
13ers: 35 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by SoCool »

Obviously Hanging Lake, but yes it can be crowded. One of the most popular hikes in Colorado.

Oops, you said 8 to 10 miles. I guess you could walk back and forth a few times.
Tory Wells
14ers: 46 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Tory Wells »

Hanging Lake is a great little hike, even in winter. It's short but has plenty of vertical gain. However I would avoid it on weekends (too crowded) and make sure you bring some spikes as the trail gets quite icy. Snowshoes not needed.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach
Jay521
14ers: 42  10 
13ers: 175 22
Trip Reports (56)

Post by Jay521 »

If you are coming up from Monument, I assume you take C470 from I25 to I70. If so, a short detour off either the Wadsworth or Kipling exits (from C470) could take you to Deer Creek Canyon Park (Jefferson County Open Space). Something like 14 miles of trails there and it can be kinda fun. There is also Sharptail Ridge (Douglas County Open Space) that has a nice little walk. Waterton Canyon is also accessed from Wadsworth but it has been only open on Sundays lately because of some construction. Not sure how long that's gonna last.
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
fakejox
14ers: 58  2  13 
13ers: 43 1 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by fakejox »

huffy13 wrote:Loveland Pass...several good 13ers from that TH.
+1. You can easily get a good 8-10 mile effort from Loveland Pass--one of my favorite pitstops.
"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart." -- Camus
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

Everything along i-70 is crowded, the front range is overrun with gapers and is no longer worth hiking. I suggest heading east towards Limon.
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

Unfortunately your number 1 and 3 contradict each other a little bit, as popular trails are the ones that get tracked out enough to not need snowshoes.

On the hanging lake suggestions, you can't right now. Until the canyon reopens in full its closed because the westbound on ramp (only way back on I-70) goes right into the rockslide area they are repairing. Grizzly is closed as well (would be a good choice if open). The trail up Noname gets enough use that you might be able to get 3 or 4 miles in w/o snowshoes and it is open during the construction, you have to get off in Glenwood and get back on I-70 as you can't get to the exit from the westbound lanes right now.

Seeing as you are going to Rifle, you could also check out Transfer Trail, Red Mountain or Boy Scout trail above Glenwood Springs. They get local use, but probably not overrun. Could be icy right now though, Red was icy on Sunday night.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
summitrunner
14ers: 18 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by summitrunner »

http://www.dillonrangerdistrict.com/sum ... l_list.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A lot of these trails will soon be opening up in late April and May. Trails like Oro Grande in Dillon could be hiked right now without snowshoes or spikes. Straight Creek is getting there too. Let me know if any of these hikes interest you or if you have any questions. The link has very accurate maps and directions. It is the 14ers.com of Summit County.

I like the Dakota Ridge Trail at the Morrison exit on I-70. Park at that parking lot, do the ridge, drop down into Red Rocks, and head north back to the parking lot onatrail that parallels the highway on the west side. It is really pretty. The geology "rocks".

If you want to take a 30 minute detour, the mountain bike trails at Colorado Mountain College in Leadville are really fun. They groom them for fat tire biking. Buena Vista has a trail system on the east side of Main Street that is bone dry. If you just want to drop back down to Colorado Springs via US-HWY24, head to BV or Salida.
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." PRE
kbmiller
14ers: 29 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kbmiller »

Go up No Name creek, cross over the Narrows, and down Grizzly creek. There is a decent trail on the creeks, and there was a nice trail over the narrows -- haven't been across it in a few years. Watch for bears and elk later in the spring.
summitrunner
14ers: 18 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by summitrunner »

One more I just remembered: at Brush Creek Elementary School in Eagle there is a trail system that is really fun.
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." PRE
ORION
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ORION »

Centennial Cone Park access is only about 10 minutes north of I-70. It's the US-6? exit off I-70 a few miles east of Idaho Springs. About a 12-13 mile RT if you do the entire loop. Elevation probably doesn't exceed 8000', and it's a well marked trail that provides unique views of the Front Range. The trail is everything from flat open grasslands to moderately steep and rocky ravines. Very few hikers, and no snow, when I hiked it in April last year. You might need 4-5 hours to do the whole loop, and some days are biker or hiker only. Being so close to I-70 and Denver, I was surprised how remote the more difficult southern part of the loop felt.