Indian peaks tomorrow

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
LarryM
14ers: 27 
13ers: 32
Trip Reports (3)

Indian peaks tomorrow

Post by LarryM »

Thinking of doing something easy in the Indian peaks tomorrow with my girlfriend. Was hoping to avoid snow shoes, but looks like there might be some fresh snow. Any conditions reports / advice? Was thinking maybe chasm lake, though that might be a little ambitious for her.
pbakwin
14ers: 56 
13ers: 64
Trip Reports (19)

Re: Indian peaks tomorrow

Post by pbakwin »

Chasm is in RMNP, not IPW, but it only matters if you have a dog. Many inexperienced hikers find the snow traverse above Peacock Pool to be challenging & scary in winter. Other than that it's a good area since the trail is always very well packed. Can't comment on the actual IPW. Twin Sisters (across from Longs) is a very nice hike.
LarryM
Trip Reports (3)

Post by LarryM »

pbakwin wrote:Chasm is in RMNP, not IPW, but it only matters if you have a dog. Many inexperienced hikers find the snow traverse above Peacock Pool to be challenging & scary in winter. Other than that it's a good area since the trail is always very well packed. Can't comment on the actual IPW. Twin Sisters (across from Longs) is a very nice hike.
Thanks. I know the section of the Chasm Lake trail that you are referring to, and yeah, my girlfriend might have found it a tad scary today. I'll wait until summer to take her up there. (And yeah, I know that it is in RMNP, but it feels like part of the Indian Peaks to me :).)

I'm gradually introducing her to the mountains, and decided to err on the side of easy today, so we just hiked to Long Lake from the Brainard winter closure. She loved it, it was beautiful, and the weather was perfect. Not every day needs to be a summit day. No snow shoes needed; the recent snowfall wasn't enough to make a difference.
PaliKona
14ers: 20 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PaliKona »

Nice quiet spot in there in the winter. Any moose sightings?
LarryM
Trip Reports (3)

Post by LarryM »

No moose. It was quiet compared to summer, but still plenty of people on the trail. We did have the lake to ourselves.