Summit suggestions (highest and driest)

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
lkk8815
14ers: 54  26 
13ers: 238 22
Trip Reports (0)

Summit suggestions (highest and driest)

Post by lkk8815 »

I'm looking for suggestions on where to go this weekend in the Front Range, ideally the highest I could get that's relatively dry-ish, class 1-2, less than 10 miles RT, and no nasty talus. With the new snow coming in tonight, probably looking at Sunday.

Think recovery-friendly. I had spine surgery almost three months ago and have been sulking because I haven't been able to do much for a while. I'm recovering well and have hiked around some dry Denver area parks/trails/etc and would really like to stand on something tall again. I'd just like to find the tallest peak that's not completely covered in snow to minimize slips or falls. It's been really warm lately so there has to be something better to do than moping on the couch.

Appreciate any suggestions!
summitstep
14ers: 15 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Summit suggestions (highest and driest)

Post by summitstep »

This isn't the answer you were expecting and please don't misinterpret this response. I am not trying to tell you your business, and maybe I should mind my own, but your post worries me. Are you sure this is wise after only three months out? I understand you are longing to get out and go high, but please exercise caution. I don't know how involved your spinal surgery was and this could affect things either way. . I had a spinal fusion L3-4-5, complete with titanium rods, which adds strength to the fusion and a significant bit of protection should you have an accident. Having said that I did not venture onto ice and hard snow or do strenuous hikes for about 6 months, wanting to be sure it fused fully and I healed up enough to have a long future of hiking and a good quality of life. I have been climbing and doing many miles of hiking ever since (and my fusion was at 56 yrs.) so I am sure you will recover and have great adventures. I am NOT passing judgement- just voicing a plea for you to be prudent in what you do so that you can indeed 'get all the 14ers blind-folded and pregnant' as your profile goals declare. :lol: Get out, have fun and put in work hiking- it all helps the healing process and keeps you sane as well. Just be thoughtful and watch your risk level from potential falls, and more importantly strains and twists, etc. Each time out your back and body will tell you how you did and what you can go for next; that in itself adds motivation and satisfaction to your healing journey. You have lots of years to use that back; make it strong enough to match your aspirations! A few more weeks will significantly add to your backs' strength and the friendliness of the trails. Whatever you decide, be happy AND safe, and heal well! (Ok...I'm done with the fatherly speech. :-$ )

fyi; I always found a well stuffed daypack cinched tight at the waist added support like a back brace and improved my performance while minimizing discomfort. And always use your trekking poles for balance, stability and another level of protection; your back will thank you for it.
"In this high country that we love, trails are steep. We climb each mile, breath by breath, and at the threshold of pain, bliss overtakes us."

"It's called CRAZY. And somehow, when you are bent over your poles, staring at your boots- heart heaving and trying not to cough your lung onto a rock= you look up...and you are looking down over all those beautiful mountains....and you wouldn't want to be anywhere else."

"For all the richness of normal, everyday life, it is good sometimes to trespass high in the sky, and live with uncommon intensity, experiencing something that gets close to the sublime."
lkk8815
Trip Reports (0)

Post by lkk8815 »

Thanks for the thoughtful response, I kinda figured someone would say something like that. I'm part cyborg too, L5/S1 fusion complete with rods.

Maybe I should have been a little clearer, I was looking for easy summits, low peaks that have melted out that aren't overwhelmingly exciting but still a summit. I hiked up Raleigh Peak in Pike National Forest last weekend, it's only 8000' but a fire wiped out all the trees so it's open and almost entirely dried out. Stuff like that. I can walk fine and surprisingly my back doesn't bother me, I'm young so I'm healing pretty fast. I've found popular low stuff to hike close to Denver and Boulder, I thought maybe someone would know a nice summit hike off the beaten path. (And I promise I'm being extra careful!)
sunny1
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 225 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by sunny1 »

It'll be tough to find anything dry by Sunday.

Have you done Bergen Pk in Evergreen?
Trail, no talus. C1 9.7 mi r/t with ~2K elev gain. Its a 9er.

Other possibles: Green Mtn or Bear Pk, S Boulder Pk in Boulder are trailed, no talus, won't be dry. C1-2
These are 8ers
You'll need microspikes.

Have recently become enamored with some Jeffco summits - Mt Galbraith a 7er, Legault Mtn an 8er.
These 2 are mostly trailed with a very short off trail segment for Mt Galbraith. And for Legault, a bit more of a bushwhack - but still a short off-trail segment.
You can google these for more info.
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.
Cruiser
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Cruiser »

Maybe Plymouth Mountain in Deer Creek Canyon Park? Some sections will certainly still be snowy but some will have melted out by Sunday if the current forecast holds up.

http://jeffco.us/open-space/parks/deer- ... nyon-park/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Where ever you are... There you are.
lkk8815
Trip Reports (0)

Post by lkk8815 »

Those all seem like good options. Thanks a bunch!