Favorite 12ers Nearby Denver

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
tupelohoney
14ers: 10 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Favorite 12ers Nearby Denver

Post by tupelohoney »

Commenting so I can easily search for this thread in the future...great stuff here guys!
“The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom”
-Theodore Roosevelt
Phill the Thrill
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 60
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Phill the Thrill »

Close to Denver:

Two of my favorite 12ers: Bison Peak & McCurdy Mountain in Lost Creek Wilderness.

From Kenosha Pass there is a nice spring climb of three 12ers: North & South Twin Cone Peaks and Mt Blaine (approx 14 miles RT with 2,800 ft elev gain).
"Everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it." - Andy Rooney
emgordon
14ers: 28 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by emgordon »

tupelohoney wrote:Commenting so I can easily search for this thread in the future...great stuff here guys!
NO. NO. NO. Threads about 12ers should not be easy to find. Just kidding!
12ersRule wrote: Same goes for a popular 14er on a summer weekend day. You'll get a sense of nature, but it's not really the immersive mountain experience that it could be.
If you are inspired by your surroundings, a sense of nature can save the day on a popular route. I prefer to enhance my sense of wonder by finding new adventures (so I got this http://www.fixedpin.com/products/rocky- ... ional-park and it is fabulous). Also going out with new people is fun, no matter where.
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

Medicine Bow is quite the gem for a very low 12er, as is the 3 peak loop up there. Easy access yet quiet. And the rock is so different.
medicine bow.JPG
medicine bow.JPG (143.7 KiB) Viewed 804 times
Toll is a pretty good one and the Desolations.

The silversword is quite fascinating - such a very limited range to the upper reaches of one mountain and such a cool plant.

I believe the average visitor to the Grand Canyon spends less than two hours there including a meal.
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

cougar wrote:
I believe the average visitor to the Grand Canyon spends less than two hours there including a meal.
It must be the intimidating signage at the THs: "Getting down is optimal, getting UP is mandatory". Or the tour busses totally break the curve. "See the west!" Yeah, right.

Decatur and Revenue from some TH off of Guanella Pass road were really cool.
Mt Logan in Mt Evans Wilderness is another good one. It's a high 12er than has more of a 13er feel, actually.
Jay521
14ers: 42  10 
13ers: 175 22
Trip Reports (56)

Post by Jay521 »

12ersRule wrote:Mt Logan in Mt Evans Wilderness is another good one. It's a high 12er than has more of a 13er feel, actually.
And it has some wreckage of what I think was some sort of ultralight aircraft on the north slopes and I **think** a B24 crashed on the south slopes.
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
sunny1
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 225 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by sunny1 »

Lots of great suggestions - excellent photos (eye candy) Cougar and Kimo!
So many mountains, so little time....

Kimo, I think I saw Silverswords on Mauna Kea a few years ago - had no idea or appreciation of what I was seeing. :oops:
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.
polar
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by polar »

12ersRule wrote:It must be the intimidating signage at the THs: "Getting down is optimal, getting UP is mandatory".
Hey now, that's the best sign ever! It has totally changed my view on climbing.

BTW, it's "optional".
"Getting to the bottom, OPTIONAL. Getting to the top, MANDATORY!" - The Wisest Trail Sign
rdp32
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rdp32 »

Mt Ida in RMNP was awesome