current conditions for conundrum hotsprings

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mtn_nut
14ers: 58  14 
13ers: 35 1
Trip Reports (5)

current conditions for conundrum hotsprings

Post by mtn_nut »

Has anyone been up along the valley that leads to conundrum hot springs. I know its going to be snow camping and probably require snowshoes or skinning, but i'm wondering if the springs would be accessible this time of year?

Thanks!
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Re: current conditions for conundrum hotsprings

Post by Jon Frohlich »

Tons of avalanche danger this time of year. I'd wait until later in May at the earliest.
mtn_nut
Trip Reports (5)

Post by mtn_nut »

Thanks John. I do understand that area tends to have some pretty bad slide areas, however it seems like many areas have a pretty consolidated snowpack recently, so i was hoping for something slightly more informational, like say from someone who has been to castle creek or conundrum creek recently.
mtn_nut
Trip Reports (5)

Post by mtn_nut »

Bump
Urban Snowshoer
14ers: 42  3  2 
13ers: 20 1 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Urban Snowshoer »

Jon Frohlich wrote:Tons of avalanche danger this time of year. I'd wait until later in May at the earliest.
Avalanche danger can definitely be sketchy this time year; however, the mere fact that the calendar says May doesn't automatically make it safe--there have been avalanche fatalities in May and even later in the season.

If you're going to be traveling over snow, the decision about whether the avalanche danger is low enough to make it worth the journey has to be made on a case by case basis.