Rattlesnake Canyon (Fruita)

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
tomcat32
14ers: 21  4 
13ers: 40 2
Trip Reports (43)

Rattlesnake Canyon (Fruita)

Post by tomcat32 »

I'm looking to do some biking in Fruita soon. I wouldn't mind doing a hike into Rattlesnake Canyon from Pollack Bench when I'm there. Is this a worthwhile outing. I don't see a ton of info on it. Is the total hike this route around 15 Miles? Are the arches along trails or does it require some scrambling and searching to get to the arches?
planet54
14ers: 58 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Rattlesnake Canyon (Fruita)

Post by planet54 »

I did the trip as a backpack in 1991. It is probably not more than 15 miles total but I did a camp somewhere along the way. It was a good workout though with carrying a couple of gallons of water. I did find some potholes with water that I treated. The arches are easy to find ,I didn't have a map and went right to them. Did a ccw loop along the rim and then dropped down below the arches and back to the rim through Cedar Tree Arch ,aka Rainbow Arch. It does require some easy scrambling. You can go up or down through this arch to make the loop. Worthwhile trip IMO.
Cedar Tree Arch.JPG
Cedar Tree Arch.JPG (341.17 KiB) Viewed 1357 times
Last edited by planet54 on Wed May 04, 2016 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H D Thoreau
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Is this a worthwhile outing.
Yes.
Is the total hike this route around 15 Miles?
I think it's 14 if you make the loop.
Are the arches along trails or does it require some scrambling and searching to get to the arches?
All the arches are along the trail and loop route, but there is scrambling under one arch if you want to complete the loop.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

Rattlesnake Canyon is one of my favorite places in the Fruita area. I have done it both as a long day hike and as a backpacking trip and it can be done either way, but I preferred it as an overnight. I have also heard about people hiking into Rattlesnake Canyon and then floating out on the Colorado river in a raft, but that would require some additional planning/equipment.

As Scott P points out its about 14 miles round trip and there is some scrambling to get to one of the arches (Cedar Tree Arch I believe?).

Regardless it's a beautiful area and shouldn't be missed. Also If you're planning on mountain biking, make sure to check out the Horsethief Bench and Mary's Loop trails in Loma (they're some of my favorites outside of Moab).

Enjoy your trip!

Kai
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
tomcat32
14ers: 21  4 
13ers: 40 2
Trip Reports (43)

Post by tomcat32 »

Thanks for the info. Looks like I'll take a day for the hike when I get out there.
I have ridden the Kokopelli Trails including Horsethief and Mary's. It is a beautiful area to ride for sure riding right above the canyon.
mtgirl
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtgirl »

I haven't been in Rattlesnake Canyon, but have a couple Fruita area biking recommendations for you since you've ridden the Kokopelli area trails like Mary's, Horsethief, Steve's, etc. Western Rim in Rabbit Valley is spectacular. I'd park at the McDonald Trailhead, take Trail 2 to the Western Rim, ride the Western Rim, and return on Kokopelli Trail (or out and back the Western Rim). Also check out Sarlacc Trail behind 18 Road.
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
forbins_mtn
14ers: 28  2 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (5)

Post by forbins_mtn »

I run those trails all the time. Let me know if you have anymore questions that pop up. Remember, it gets super hot out here mid summer so spring/fall is the most enjoyable. You won't see anyone out there like the Kokopelli trails
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

mtgirl wrote:I haven't been in Rattlesnake Canyon, but have a couple Fruita area biking recommendations for you since you've ridden the Kokopelli area trails like Mary's, Horsethief, Steve's, etc. Western Rim in Rabbit Valley is spectacular. I'd park at the McDonald Trailhead, take Trail 2 to the Western Rim, ride the Western Rim, and return on Kokopelli Trail (or out and back the Western Rim). Also check out Sarlacc Trail behind 18 Road.
I agree completely. If you've already been to the Kokopelli area, both of mtgirl's recommendations are good. Western Rim and Rabbit Valley are definitely worth a visit even if the views aren't quite as nice IMO as those in the Kokopelli area. All of the 18 road trails are super fun and flowy with lots of downhill that descends the lower ends of the Book Cliffs north of town.
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
giarcd
14ers: 22 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (15)

Post by giarcd »

Nice destination and great hike and pretty easy scrambles up . Good views of Colo. river.