June 10th snow free trails

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
DanV
Trip Reports (0)

June 10th snow free trails

Post by DanV »

Hey All,
2 midwest guys that are going to be out in Colorado for work the weekend of June 10th, since they are paying airfare moving this trip till snow melts isn't an option. I have been searching and finding lots of great options but after talking with rangers I hear I'm going to be postholing the entire time.

What are some favorite trails that are usually snow free at this time of year?
We would like to take on a moderate 16m RT trail that allows for some fishing. Planning on just one night and bonus points for a campsite that is at a lake.

Before everyone jumps all over me, yes I am 100% aware that weather is ABSOLUTELY unpredictable, and a late snow dump could ruin all plans. What I am hoping is you all can help with is a short list of trails that should be snow free. We will check in on as the date nears.

Appreciate the help! If I can ever return the favor let me know how.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Re: June 10th snow free trails

Post by SkaredShtles »

Check out Lost Creek Wilderness.
SikYou
14ers: 24 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SikYou »

Look for anything below 9,000 or so. Lower elevation doesn't guarantee snow free but it increases your chances of dry trails.
I'm slower than Scott P.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

This is an above average snow year, especially with the new snow this week.
Expect lots of snow above treeline in early June.
http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/ftpref/dat ... update.pdf
You could hike from some of 11K-12K road passes like Loveland Pass and Independence Pass. Check out the lower trails in Rocky Mountain National Park, Lost Creek Wilderness.
Shaolin
14ers: 6 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Shaolin »

The Western Slope would be a great trip.
Shadow94
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Shadow94 »

Hikeing the colorado flat tops / Mandell Pass is a great hike but is only about 8-12 mile RT and it's beautiful but not 14er material. Google search the photos to get a view of the area. Also the "Sky Pond" hike in RMNP is awesome but it's only a 6M RT and no campsites. Also no guarentees the snow will be melted out enough in all those areas mentioned.
Oman
14ers: 57 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Oman »

What's more important -- fishing or hiking? On June 10 many rivers will still be blowing out, and many high-country lakes will be frozen. Your best bet is to stay low.

If fishing is most important, you might check river flows just before you leave and head to the one that's least blown-out.

Depending on dam releases, try hiking / camping Dinosaur National Monument and fishing Jones Hole / Browns Park / Green River below Flaming Gorge Dam, or the Gunnison Gorge below the Black Canyon of the Gunnison, or the North Platte below Northgate Canyon in WY, or Lost Creek Wilderness and 11 Mile Canyon / South Platte near South Park.
DanV
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DanV »

thanks guys, appreciate the help.

In all honesty we are both photographers so scenery trumps all. Then I would say hiking with fishing coming in last. Fishing is just to pass the time