Four Pass Loop Memorial Weekend

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jakegeiger21
Trip Reports (0)

Four Pass Loop Memorial Weekend

Post by jakegeiger21 »

Hey there, I am interested in hiking the four pass loop this upcoming Memorial Day Weekend (Sat-Mon). I have done the loop before, however that was in late June during a dry snow year. I was just wondering if anyone has done it recently and what the conditions are currently like? Will the stream crossings be too high? Will the trail mostly be visible or still buried beneath snow?

Any help would be much appreciated!
alsrun
14ers: 50 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Four Pass Loop Memorial Weekend

Post by alsrun »

We still have a good amount of snow above 11K in the mountains surrounding Crested Butte and the streams are starting to run pretty fast. It's still cool at night and we haven't had any Arizona dust to help with the snow melt. Hope this helps.
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

There's a conditions report for Snowmass Mountain from this weekend; this should give you some idea of what conditions are like in the vicinity of Snowmass Lake, at least.

From what I've gathered reading various condition reports from around the state, the gist of things is that there is deep, extensive snow cover just above everywhere above about 11,000 feet everywhere (which is a very substantial portion of that route), which devolves into a posthole nightmare during warm weather.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Will the trail mostly be visible or still buried beneath snow?
Buried under snow, just like it is every Memorial Day weekend.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

Check out conditions for yourself!

http://aspen.roundshot.com/highlands/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://aspen.roundshot.com/snowmass/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://aspen.roundshot.com/aspen/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jakegeiger21
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jakegeiger21 »

I love the Panoramic Shots from nearby Ski Mountains. That helps a lot. I did want to see if anyone has done the loop this year so far and what the conditions are like. I got out and hiked two 14ers last weekend so I am expecting pretty good snow coverage in the higher elevations. Just wanted to see what the stream crossings are like and if the trail is pretty easy to follow or route finding skills will be necessary. Any beta would be much appreciated.

To give a little more insight, I am now thinking about doing the loop next week starting 6/13. With the great weather that we've had lately I'm hoping much more of the snow will have melted.

Thanks again for all your help!
AnnaG22
14ers: 58  7  20 
13ers: 124 3 6
Trip Reports (5)

Post by AnnaG22 »

jakegeiger21 wrote: I got out and hiked two 14ers last weekend so I am expecting pretty good snow coverage in the higher elevations. Just wanted to see what the stream crossings are like and if the trail is pretty easy to follow or route finding skills will be necessary. Any beta would be much appreciated.

To give a little more insight, I am now thinking about doing the loop next week starting 6/13. With the great weather that we've had lately I'm hoping much more of the snow will have melted.

Thanks again for all your help!
So someone recently did the Four Pass Loop...entirely on skis. If you're planning to do it next week, you should expect consistent snow above ~11,000 feet and plan to have full avalanche gear in addition to skis or snowshoes. But you are correct that Maroon Lake and Snowmass Lake will likely be dry.
"The love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth, the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need – if only we had the eyes to see." -Ed Abbey

"I get scared sometimes—lots of times—but it's not bad. You know? I feel close to myself. When I'm out there at night, I feel close to my own body, I can feel my blood moving, my skin and my fingernails, everything, it's like I'm full of electricity and I'm glowing in the dark—I'm on fire almost—I'm burning away into nothing—but it doesn't matter because I know exactly who I am." from The Things They Carried
mountaingoat-G
14ers: 23  5  1 
13ers: 21 6 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by mountaingoat-G »

I don't know about the Elks specifically, but in some places, the snow is the consistency of mashed potatoes right now....
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

But you are correct that Maroon Lake and Snowmass Lake will likely be dry.
It is very doubtful that Snowmass Lake will be dry. In fact, it's always frozen over and always has snow this time of year.
AnnaG22
14ers: 58  7  20 
13ers: 124 3 6
Trip Reports (5)

Post by AnnaG22 »

Scott P wrote:
But you are correct that Maroon Lake and Snowmass Lake will likely be dry.
It is very doubtful that Snowmass Lake will be dry. In fact, it's always frozen over and always has snow this time of year.
Most recent beta shows that Snowmass Lake is no longer frozen, it only has a few patches of ice left. Still snow around it, but looks to be headed toward mud-type conditions. I do think the snow will stay not far above it though. the passes generally don't melt out fully til mid-July.
"The love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth, the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need – if only we had the eyes to see." -Ed Abbey

"I get scared sometimes—lots of times—but it's not bad. You know? I feel close to myself. When I'm out there at night, I feel close to my own body, I can feel my blood moving, my skin and my fingernails, everything, it's like I'm full of electricity and I'm glowing in the dark—I'm on fire almost—I'm burning away into nothing—but it doesn't matter because I know exactly who I am." from The Things They Carried
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Good to know, but I still wouldn't expect it to be dry anytime soon, nor snow free. I am surprised however, that the ice is as melted as much as much as it is and you are correct that it isn't completely frozen over (it still appears mostly ice covered though).

I may be headed up there this weekend. If I do, I will report conditions.
jakegeiger21
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jakegeiger21 »

That would be awesome. Thanks!