Grand Teton GPS tracks

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Justin9
14ers: 58  2  5 
Trip Reports (0)

Grand Teton GPS tracks

Post by Justin9 »

Wondering if anyone out there would have a GPS track file for the Grand Teton Upper Exum Route. It's a relatively straightforward climb however everything I've read says that the biggest time loss is in route finding. It would be great to have something to refer to when we are Looking for Wall Street in the dark! We are headed up in 2 weeks and will post a trip report for anyone attempting the climb in the following weeks/months. Thanks in advance. Justin.
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 290 37
Trip Reports (27)

Re: Grand Teton GPS tracks

Post by Monster5 »

Whiskey militia used to have a step by step guide for the mountain. Either way, the turn off for Wall street and most of the route finding is fairly easy, with the exception of above the friction pitch to the summit. Missing the dihedral is pretty common. I don't have a track, but good luck!
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
Justin9
14ers: 58  2  5 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Justin9 »

Yep, WM has great info. Never hurts to have something to cheat with though! Thanks for the advise!
martinleroux
14ers: 28 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (2)

Post by martinleroux »

It's very difficult to get decent GPS readings on the approach to the Upper Exum. It's hemmed in by steep cliffs and GPS coordinates can easily be off by hundreds of feet, if you can get a reading in the first place. I tried recording a GPS track from when I did the Cathedral Traverse a few years ago but it's basically useless.

BTW here's a picture of Garnet Canyon from last week: http://tetonclimbinggrand.blogspot.com/ ... -2013.html. Looks like there's snow all the way down to the Meadows, if not lower.
lordhelmut
14ers: 50  21  5 
13ers: 300 60 1
Trip Reports (73)

Post by lordhelmut »

http://www.exploringtherockies.com/2015 ... labor-day/

Finding Wall St was probably my biggest concern when preparing for the UE. But it ended up being arguably the easiest part of the entire trip. Read the beginning description of my TR to get a dumbed down description of how to find it. I literally located the rock fin in the picture in my TR and headed straight for it. Its very prominent, its early on and Wall St is right on the other side of it. I'm not sure what that'll look like with snow though.

To add to what Monster said - above the Friction Pitch, things do get a little confusing, but my buddy and I ended up taking the path of least resistance (which is ironic cause his nickname is the Path of Most Resistance) so much so that we ended up missing the V-pitch altogether, via a class 2+ ledge system. The most confusing section I thought was finding the obvious way from above the V-pitch to the summit, but at that point neither of us were looking very hard for easier terrain.

I'm also not sure where the Golden Staircase proper is - I assume its right above the end of Wall St. We kind of just picked our own path there. Friction Pitch was eas(ier) to find and eas(ier) to climb (I packed and used rock shoes for that section).