Boulder Area Hiking

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
vgolf91
14ers: 6 
Trip Reports (0)

Boulder Area Hiking

Post by vgolf91 »

Looking for suggestions for a Boulder Area Hike.

I will be in Boulder for 2 days in late July & I am interested in an early morning hike. Hopefully something reasonably easy with an opportunity for scenery & a nice sunrise. I looked at a few websites & the choices are pretty overwhelming. I am hoping you guys might be able to suggest some your favorites.

Many Thanks
eyost11
14ers: 43  2 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Boulder Area Hiking

Post by eyost11 »

Sanitas, Chautauqua with choice of Bear and Greens or link both, are the most popular.
pbakwin
14ers: 56 
13ers: 64
Trip Reports (19)

Post by pbakwin »

Royal Arch meets your criteria.
Turtle Boy
14ers: 18  1 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Turtle Boy »

Mentioned above - Green Mountain via Saddle Rock Trail.
thebeave7
14ers: 58 
13ers: 127
Trip Reports (25)

Post by thebeave7 »

Highly recommend a loop of Mt Sanitas. Head up the Mt Sanitas trail (South ridge) and down the Lions Lair/Sunshine canyon trails. More mellow than Green as an early AM hike, also makes a great trail run.

Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs
meg383
Trip Reports (0)

Post by meg383 »

Keeping in mind that everyone's idea of 'easy' is relative, what people have mentioned so far is great:

Royal Arch in Chautauqua - can be crowded with tourists, esp on weekends, but if you go early enough it'll be less. It's also mostly shaded, so if you are there in the middle of the day that's nice. Awesome feature at the end, and it's not too long of a hike. For sunrise it would be great, as the arch looks east. (From the parking lot, don't go into the meadow, start on the paved 'sidewalk' that runs along the side of there and you will circumvent having to navigate through the 2nd/3rd flatiron trails)

Sanitas - the quintessential 'Boulder' trail, can also be crowded with a lot of locals trail running, but still a fun trail that gives great looks directly over the city. IMO about the same difficulty/length as Royal Arch.

Green Mountain - A bit harder and longer than the previous two; there are two ways up that offer different levels of difficultly. Higher up starts to give cool views of both Boulder and IPW/RMNP.

Bear Peak/South Boulder Peak - these can be a bit more strenuous, again they can offer different routes (some of which can be quite a bit steeper, i.e. Fern or Shadow Canyon, respectively) making it easier or more mellow. I usually tell people if you can do a steep route up one of these, you are probably ready for one of the 'easy' 14ers, as it's about the same elevation gain they just aren't at the same altitude. South Boulder is the highest peak in Boulder, but either of these will have great views.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

The icons of Boulder are thousand-foot slabs of rock defining the edge of the Rocky Mountains called The Flatirons. And there is a hike from Chauqautua Park ascending one of them. At the top there is a great view of the Boulder plain. The hike itself doesnt go on the Flatiron rock until near the top. It starts in woods and switchbacks up a dirt trail along the side and back of the flatiron most of the way. It might seem steep in the thinner air of Boulder if you are coming from sea level. And I dont know about pre dawn access to the trail.

If you can spare six hours, visit Rocky Mountain National Park. It is only 34 miles from Boulder, a one hour drive. I recommend starting at first light so you can beat the heavy summer crowds and even avoid the high entrance fee. The best drive within the park is Trail Ridge Road which goes above the treeline in the trunda. There are two east entrances to the park. Go in one, drive along Trail Ridge and turn around at the Alpine Center, and head out the other entrance. By the time you are leaving, the congestion will have started. There is essentially no public transportation between Boulder and the Park, so you need to borrow or rent a car.
Last edited by peter303 on Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel Joder
14ers: 43  3 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (37)

Post by Daniel Joder »

Peter, you might clarify what route climbs "5,000' slabs of rock" and 'goes on the rock near the top' above Boulder. Not sure what you were trying to say there. Maybe Bear Peak? Even a hike up Bear Peak or Green Mnt, though, doesn't get you you 5,000 vertical feet if that was what you meant. (The entire Bear-Green-Sanitas loop might.) As someone else posted, though, an ascent of Bear Peak will tell you if you are getting close to the conditioning you need for a 14er like, say, Bierstadt or Quandary even though Bear Peak summit tops out at a mere 8,459' or so. Great sunrise views up there, but you'll need to start by headlamp to get there by sunrise.
Tory Wells
14ers: 46 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Tory Wells »

Easier than some of the other suggestions, just going for a stroll on the Mesa Trail might be what you are looking for. It's an iconic trail with good views and definitely best done in early morning before the sun starts to bake it. It would be an excellent sunrise hike.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach
onebyone
14ers: 58  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by onebyone »

Personally, I would do the south mesa trailhead if you have a car. Head up to the mouth of shadow canyon (but don't ascend the actual canyon), hook up with the mesa trail going north for a little bit, comeback down bluestem trail then which will eventually send you back south for a bit to your car.
Definitely print out a trail map. This is a gorgeous hike. About 1.5 hours or 2.5 hours if taking it casual.

If interested, I can give you more exact directions and trails.
pbakwin
14ers: 56 
13ers: 64
Trip Reports (19)

Post by pbakwin »

He means "5 one-thousand foot slabs". Actually there are dozens of Flatirons, but 5 numbered (First through Fifth). The First-Second Flatiron trail is justifiably one of the most popular on City open space because of the views and intimacy with the Flatirons. But I find the trail itself somewhat "ghetto" (due mainly to a complete lack of maintenance by the Open Space department).
Daniel Joder
14ers: 43  3 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (37)

Post by Daniel Joder »

Ah, OK, now I get it (five 1,000-foot slabs...). And, yes, that whole trail mess around Chautauqua and up between the First and Second should probable just be paved...or something close to it.