Backpacking trip for 4 year old

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
hatchmaster
14ers: 19 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (2)

Backpacking trip for 4 year old

Post by hatchmaster »

I'm looking for a lake to hike to for my 4 year old daughter and I. We backpacked to old forest inn in RMNP last year (4 miles round trip). Looking for a lake to hike to in the 4-6 mile round trip length. Outside of RMNP as she demands our dog go this time. Probably under 2 hours drive from Denver.

Thanks for any help.
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Re: Backpacking trip for 4 year old

Post by Trotter »

herman lake trail
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
huffy13
14ers: 22 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (30)

Post by huffy13 »

Lily Pad Lakes Trail at Wildernest is a good hike for kids. Took my niece and nephew on that hike a couple years ago and they loved it.
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.
waolsen
14ers: 40  2 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (0)

Post by waolsen »

We did a couple backpacking trips with my daughter when she was 4.

Lake Katherine is a nice one. However, when we went the mosquitoes were awful.

I really recommend Lake Ann at the base of the 3 Apostles. It's outside of Winfield. 3 miles one way with about 1,100 feet of climb. It's really beautiful up there and when we went there we were the only ones.
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (74.22 KiB) Viewed 240 times
"The mountains are calling and I must go"