North of I70 vs. South of I70

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
kimo
14ers: 32  6 
13ers: 116 6
Trip Reports (0)

Re: North of I70 vs. South of I70

Post by kimo »

Good one, 12ersRule. Voshkm has it right - there's only one 14 up north. And 54 13ers. There are 1,200 people on the forum right now - I bet few could identify the Rabbit Ears Range on an unlabeled map of Colorado. I bet everyone could point out the location of the Sawatch or San Juan Mountains on the same map. And the Flat Top Mountains north of I-70 should be considered the "grand daddy" of Colorado wilderness and not the Weminuche but few know that story or even care.

Up north there are no keggers on summits and dispersed car camping is still easy to find. Except around Winter Park I don't compete with mountain bikers for camping spots. In general there are less people on the roads and trails, at least during non-hunting months. We have enjoyed many trips on northern peaks and back roads and have encountered just a handful of people. Contrary to a previous post, I believe the wilderness experience is superior in the north, where non-wilderness is more wilderness than some designated Wilderness areas in other parts of the state. Recently we touched the edge of the Sarvis Creek Wilderness and I can't wait to get deeper into it for the remaining peaks. We felt like the only people for miles and miles. But one has to like trees to appreciate what many of these areas offer. The lack of 13ers and 14ers keep social media motivated "climbers" away.

Many of the reasons why people prefer the south are the same reasons my partner and I much prefer the north. Different strokes for different folks I guess.
FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

Good points here but wheres the part where we talk about how much driving sucks ass?
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Interesting perspective Kimo. I am curious about (but not disagreeing with) some of the statements.

I am wondering about the statement of the Flat Tops as being the grand daddy of all wilderness rather than the Wininuche. Why would this be?

I also like the Sarvis Creek Wilderness, but to me the peaks themselves don't stand out.

The Rabbit Ears Range does have some pretty good peaks, but overall I'd consider it to be a bit less spectacular than some of the surrounding ranges (Gore, Park(Zirkel), and Never Summer).

I do have to add that the Sawtooth Range in the Zirkel Wilderness rivals anywhere else in Colorado for alpine scenery.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
lordhelmut
14ers: 50  21  5 
13ers: 300 60 1
Trip Reports (73)

Post by lordhelmut »

In Front Range, South Denver has more public transportation options, but the living isn't as affordable. In the north, the living is more affordable but the public transportation sucks. And traffic sucks in all cardinal directions.

As for the mountains, I personally think its a wash, but thats mainly just my own personal perspective. For me, Weminuche takes a slight nod to RMNP/IPW, but Gores take a nod to HCW. Sangres (south) and Park Range (North) seem to be havens where you can find solitude year round. Maybe Sawatch/Elks are the x-factor, but they can get viciously gaped out.

Regardless, the diversity of the North and South of Colorado is what sets this state apart from the rest of the lower 48. I like that every range and sub-range has something a little different to offer.
sunny1
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 225 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by sunny1 »

I'd take all of it - they are different from each other and are both wonderful. Lean slightly South. But unable to pick one over the other. :-D
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.
ajkagy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ajkagy »

I vote for west of the front range, the best of everything. 8)
Lville
14ers: 51 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Lville »

I was forced to pause briefly to entertain the solid argument of the scarlet and gray residing just north of I-70, and I guess I'll throw the Cavs in there as well, but if considering only the implied geographical boundaries of the original question, I have to cast my vote for the south. Tough call, but just too many cool towns, mountains, and festivals on the southside of our fine state.
Matt
14ers: 58 
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt »

I choose El Sur

I miss living in the San Juans and hope to get the F out of the city in a few years, once I've made my fortune...
Since I explored most of CO coming from NM and the San Juans, I freely admit my bias and potential lack of good comparators.
However, I think of my five favorite outdoor spots/areas so far in this state, and all are south of I-70:
Ice/Island Lake area
Approach to Lindsey/Blanca around Huerfano River
Alpine Loop
Ouray/Telluride
Crestones/Music Pass/Hermit Pass

None of that is to slight the Gores, Flat Tops, or IPW. Those places are the best of the north, IMO, but I haven't spent enough time in them.

Of my five favorite CO ski areas, the south wins again:
Telluride
Silverton
Aspen Highlands
Mary Jane
Steamboat
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

kimo wrote:Good one, 12ersRule. Voshkm has it right - there's only one 14 up north. And 54 13ers. There are 1,200 people on the forum right now - I bet few could identify the Rabbit Ears Range on an unlabeled map of Colorado. I bet everyone could point out the location of the Sawatch or San Juan Mountains on the same map. And the Flat Top Mountains north of I-70 should be considered the "grand daddy" of Colorado wilderness and not the Weminuche but few know that story or even care.

Up north there are no keggers on summits and dispersed car camping is still easy to find. Except around Winter Park I don't compete with mountain bikers for camping spots. In general there are less people on the roads and trails, at least during non-hunting months. We have enjoyed many trips on northern peaks and back roads and have encountered just a handful of people. Contrary to a previous post, I believe the wilderness experience is superior in the north, where non-wilderness is more wilderness than some designated Wilderness areas in other parts of the state. Recently we touched the edge of the Sarvis Creek Wilderness and I can't wait to get deeper into it for the remaining peaks. We felt like the only people for miles and miles. But one has to like trees to appreciate what many of these areas offer. The lack of 13ers and 14ers keep social media motivated "climbers" away.

Many of the reasons why people prefer the south are the same reasons my partner and I much prefer the north. Different strokes for different folks I guess.
Sweet!! Me and some buddies are going to go there this weekend, and they'll be sure to tell all their friends too. Thanks for the tip!
Oman
14ers: 57 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Oman »

Scott P wrote: I am wondering about the statement of the Flat Tops as being the grand daddy of all wilderness rather than the Wininuche. Why would this be?
I bet this is what Kimo is thinking: Trappers Lake in the Flat Tops was the first place the U.S. Forest Service, which had been gung-ho for logging and development, set aside for protection. That happened in 1919; the federal Wilderness Act wasn't passed until 1964. Historians since have called Trappers Lake and the Flat Tops the Cradle of Wilderness.

http://www.postindependent.com/news/loc ... ess-began/

As for the north vs. south debate, I think the fishing is better in the north, or at least less crowded. It's the North Platte, Colorado, Green, White, Fraser, Encampment, Little Snake, and Yampa vs. the South Platte, Gunnison, Arkansas, Taylor, Fryingpan, Roaring Fork, Rio Grande, Conejos, Piedra, Dolores, and Animas. Almost all the state trout records are from the south, though.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Overall, I'll go south. I put the Gores in a category of their own. :)

I would much rather go to the Sangres than pretty much anything north and east of the Gores, although I have done a fair amount of hunting in the Flattops
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

BillMiddlebrook wrote: I would much rather go to the Sangres than pretty much anything north and east of the Gores, although I have done a fair amount of hunting in the Flattops
Hey Bill,

What about the Mt Zirkel Wilderness and Sawtooth Range? That is north of the Gores and has some of the best scenery in Colorado. I'd be happy to show you around sometime. ;)

The Sawtooth Range area is similar to the Gore scenery wise, but it's a lot less known and less visited.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.