North of I70 vs. South of I70

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
kimo
14ers: 32  6 
13ers: 116 6
Trip Reports (0)

Re: North of I70 vs. South of I70

Post by kimo »

Thanks Oman. I'm sure Scott knows why I said that – he just wanted me to provide an explanation for those who may not know. Scott created the Summitpost page for the Flat Tops that mentions “the cradle of wilderness” in the introduction, and anyone on 14ers who wants to learn more can follow your link. Grand daddy, grandmother, cradle…regardless of the term used I think the Flat Top Wilderness is very unique and inspiring.

I know you’re making fun Schralp and that’s fine. I realize the conflict in saying a place is uncrowded on a public forum with 1000s of daily visitors. I just have to add that Northern Colorado is not some big secret that I let out of the bag. People have been recreating in the northern regions for years. These places are covered in maps, guidebooks, Summitpost, LOJ, etc.. My comments in this thread will not cause any appreciable increase in northern visitation. Maybe a few people will be intrigued and check it out. There are no festivals or cool mountain towns, and that's alright by me. As long as they don’t burn it down, feed the bears, make a mess, or shoot some crazy fool bushwacking thru trees, that is fine.
boudreaux
14ers: 57 
13ers: 113
Trip Reports (11)

Post by boudreaux »

I always just looked at it from a Front Range vs Western Slope kinda perspective, but that's just me! :lol:

Same difference!
Ragin Cajun
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Scott P wrote:
BillMiddlebrook wrote: I would much rather go to the Sangres than pretty much anything north and east of the Gores, although I have done a fair amount of hunting in the Flattops
Hey Bill,

What about the Mt Zirkel Wilderness and Sawtooth Range? That is north of the Gores and has some of the best scenery in Colorado. I'd be happy to show you around sometime. ;)

The Sawtooth Range area is similar to the Gore scenery wise, but it's a lot less known and less visited.
It's been years since I was in that area. I believe the last time was for a camp and hike at Gilpin Lake, I think. Oh, and around Seven Lakes but I believe that was to the east and out of Big Creek. You're right, a beautiful area!
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

kimo wrote:Thanks Oman. I'm sure Scott knows why I said that – he just wanted me to provide an explanation for those who may not know. Scott created the Summitpost page for the Flat Tops that mentions “the cradle of wilderness” in the introduction, and anyone on 14ers who wants to learn more can follow your link. Grand daddy, grandmother, cradle…regardless of the term used I think the Flat Top Wilderness is very unique and inspiring
Actually, for some reason I was thinking you meant in terms of size, quality, or wild-ness, but great explanation.

Perhaps my perception of the word "Grandaddy" is skewed since in my old "hang out" mountain range, place names with Grandaddy refer to size.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
C-Shepguy
14ers: 19  2 
13ers: 44 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by C-Shepguy »

I'd just like to point out that I think it's cool that this thread drifted in the direction of wilderness areas, rather than "where my favorite 14ers are!". Good to see all the wilderness enthusiasts in the group.

I can't really decide. I'm from a northern state and would normally be biased in favor of colder, snowier places...but in CO with all the high altitude, there are areas with tons of snow at every latitude, and the San Juans are pretty great.

Slight nod to the north. Fewer people. Feels less...used.
Derek
Trip Reports (57)

Post by Derek »

kimo wrote:.... or shoot some crazy fool bushwacking thru trees, that is fine.
I've pretty much made peace with the fact that this will be how I eventually "kick the bucket".
kimo
14ers: 32  6 
13ers: 116 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kimo »

I hear you Derek. It's getting dangerous out there. I was shocked by the amount gunfire the last time we were down in the Tarryalls, which I know is an area you've explored extensively. There was a time when I used to worry about cougars, ticks, and falling trees when bushwacking, but errant bullets are more often on my mind now. But it's still a great feeling to follow a faint game trail, push through the brush and deadfall, past rocky nooks and crevices, over and around animal scat that is sometimes still steaming. I begin to feel like the first person who has ever been back there, but I'm seeking something all too human: if I am lucky there is a little pile of rocks that mark the top. If I'm luckier still, the reward is an original Mike Garratt register placed there many years ago. And if my luck runs out I get taken out by an errant bullet shot by some careless dimwit from his campsite over a mile away. And that really sucks. Capital Peak may be dangerous, but lower elevation bushwacking certainly offers a unique set of dangers. Hunter orange could be considered the 11th essential.

Scott - if I remember correctly the Flat Tops is the third largest designated wilderness area in Colorado. But that would need to be verified. As for as quality and wildness...I haven't spent nearly enough time in either area to be an authority. As in many things, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The Wemi is well known and loved for good reason. The Flat Tops offer a different kind of experience.

C-Shep - Yes, there are wilderness enthusiasts here...the ones I know are long-time members of the forum. Derek is one of the biggest wilderness nuts around. But these days many just lurk or ignore the site entirely. It is "14ers" after all, and the bright shiny objects are the main focus of the forum and site. I agree with your assessment - the north feels less used. If you are interested in wilderness peak bagging the LOJ website offers a tool for mapping peaks within designated wilderness areas:

http://listsofjohn.com/wilderness/?State=CO" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

To view maps, select a wilderness area and then click on "View Wilderness Completion Maps". You will need to register before viewing the map page.
ColoradoGuy
14ers: 22 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ColoradoGuy »

Definitely south, but I'm quite biased. :)
It's a tough job, but someone has to photograph the mountain. www.MtPrinceton.org