difficulty of Cherokee Peak (IPW)?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
rdp32
Trip Reports (0)

difficulty of Cherokee Peak (IPW)?

Post by rdp32 »

I haven't done much scrambling but am interested in climbing Cherokee peak in IPW. I did Kelso Ridge and don't want to do anything tougher than that; in fact, I'd like to keep it easier than that for the downclimb (hopefully much easier for the descent---I definitely didn't want to go back down Kelso ridge!). I haven't been able to find much info on Cherokee; I've seen it described as a relatively easy class 3, but would you recommend it as a beginner class 3? I would be camping close by so the long approach is not an issue. Thanks!
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: difficulty of Cherokee Peak (IPW)?

Post by Scott P »

It has been a long time since I have been up there (maybe 15 years ago?), but I don't remember it being hard or exposed. I seem to remember that the class 3 is fairly short, but there is quite a bit of class 2 scrambing. Right at the summit there is some exposure.

I haven't done Kelso Ridge, so I don't have that to compare to, but I think it is worth a try for you.

That basin is one of the most scenic in Colorado. It's worth seeing even if you don't climb anything.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

Here's a link to the SummitPost page overview on Cherokee Peak: http://www.summitpost.org/un12-130-cherokee/153122" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; with a picture of the route. It looks like it's mostly steep, but easy Class 2+/Class 3 with some exposed Class 3 moves near the summit.

Kai
Cherokee Peak.JPG
Cherokee Peak.JPG (122.21 KiB) Viewed 810 times
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
Derek
Trip Reports (57)

Post by Derek »

Here is my trip report from a while back with some details:
http://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.ph ... ki=Include

Cherokee is one of my favorite mountains.

Comparing to Kelso Ridge, I guess I would say a bit more difficult in moves required and route finding, about the same in terms of exposure. (Which I dont recall as being much for either route, really.) The toughest "moves" on Cherokee had almost no exposure at all, more like hopping ledge to ledge.

Enjoy it, no knock on Torreys but I think you'll enjoy the views from this summit even more. :)

--D
k-berger
14ers: 20  4 
13ers: 30 8 2
Trip Reports (3)

Post by k-berger »

Agree with it being easy class 3, but you will need to do your own route finding as there isn't a defined trail anywhere on the mountain as far as I remember. We did it as a day trip, went up the backside and down the front to crater lake for a loop. A really awesome hike, you should do it. Routefinding may be trickier than Kelso (but not bad) and the scrambling is easier.
rdp32
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rdp32 »

Derek: I guess I'm a complete baby w.r.t. exposure, because I thought Kelso had as much exposure as I could handle (granted, like I said, it was my first and only time doing anything of the sort).

Having said that, I'll likely go for it anyway. Worst case, I have a hard time with the route finding and just turn around (I'll make sure not to go up anything that I can't go back down); it's such a beautiful area to hang out that I won't mind not making the summit. The main thing that worries me is going steep downhill, especially if there are any loose or slick sections.
Derek
Trip Reports (57)

Post by Derek »

rdp32 wrote:Derek: I guess I'm a complete baby w.r.t. exposure...
Eh, I doubt it. Its more likely that I'm just being forgetful of the route since its been a few years since I was last up there.

However, Cherokee may seem "less exposed" simply because you're not on a ridge though, and rather a face. May be helpful if you dont care for exposure.

Enjoy your trip! Fantastic area. If you have time for a side trip, Blackfoot has some of the best views (IMO) in the Indian Peaks.

--D