Slate Lake Drainage - Gore Range backpack

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
trektheworld
14ers: 26 
Trip Reports (0)

Slate Lake Drainage - Gore Range backpack

Post by trektheworld »

I am interested to get out to these lakes but am not interested too much in the undulating approach from the east side of the Gores. I was wondering, for those of you who have been back in these parts, how possibly you think it would be to head up the Booth Lake trail or even the Piney Trail via Kneeknocker pass and somewhere in these routes drop over the backside to experience and backcountry navigate some of these basins before hopping back over the range and finishing either at the Booth Lake TH or the Piney area. I'm really interested in putting together something of an adventure into these areas.
lordhelmut
14ers: 50  21  5 
13ers: 300 60 1
Trip Reports (73)

Re: Slate Lake Drainage - Gore Range backpack

Post by lordhelmut »

You can go in from Pitkin and then head over pass between Partners and then pass between Q and R and then South America Lake is right there. Here's a TR that shows how that might go :

http://www.exploringtherockies.com/2015 ... f-my-back/

If you head in from Booth or Piney - only thing I can think of off the top of my head is heading over in to Slate via J or P, or somewhere along that ridge. You can't really get there from Kneeknocker - all that really makes sense to access from Kneeknocker is Bubble Lakes (which I would actually recommend over Slate). Duck Lake is also accessed from Kneeknocker and that place has always intrigued me.

http://www.exploringtherockies.com/2014 ... the-gores/

Unfortunately the easiest way to get to Slate Lake proper is via those brain damaging eastern approaches with private property running rampant.