McCurdy Park---current water availability?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
rdp32
Trip Reports (0)

McCurdy Park---current water availability?

Post by rdp32 »

I would like to do an overnight backpacking trip in the Lost Creek Wilderness later this month and was wondering about water availability at this time of year. Specifically, I am considering the 22-mile loop going from Goose Creek TH to Hankins Pass to Lake Park to McCurdy Park to Refrigerator Gulch and back to Goose Creek TH. If I did that loop, I am guessing I would camp somewhere near McCurdy Park. I have never been there... should I expect to find water there this time of year? How about on other sections of that loop? Thanks!
ezabielski
14ers: 43  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Re: McCurdy Park---current water availability?

Post by ezabielski »

I've done that loop 5 or 6 times. I am sure McCurdy park has water. I've camped there several times, later in the season then this, and had no problem getting water from the creek.

Water is mostly pleantiful on that loop. The only vaguely dry section is the high part from Hankins Pass to McCurdy Park, otherwise the route generally follows creeks. By the way, I recommend backpacking the loop in the opposite direction you describe. I think it's nicer.
MyFeetHurt
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by MyFeetHurt »

I'm pretty sure water is always available on the north end of the McCurdy Park, there is a creek there but it can be a bit marshy to get to. If you go further north past the park, you end up next to the creek for a while anyways.
Dean82
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Dean82 »

In June I did Spruce Grove TH to Ute Creek TH. I wouldn't expect water until refrigerator Gulch once you hit the right onto Lake Park. I had one little stream to fuel at in McCurdy Park. I wouldn't expect the stream to be there now. That's up to you if you want to filter out of those ponds. It has been a really dry summer out here.
RockCaCO3
14ers: 45  1  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RockCaCO3 »

Did that exact loop last weekend. We camped at Lake Park and got water out of the pond (wasnt ideal, but it worked). The pond in the NW corner of the loop, off of McCurdy trail, looked kind of sketchy, but other than that, there was water along most of the route, except for the section already mentioned.
rdp32
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rdp32 »

Just to verify that I understand correctly...

Stretch from Goose Creek TH to Hankins Pass = GOOD
Stretch from Hankins Pass to McCurdy Park = BAD
Stretch from McCurdy Park all the way back to Goose Creek TH (via Refrigerator Gulch) = GOOD

Does that sound right? (where "GOOD" means the streams marked on my Nat. Geo./ Trails Illustrated map should be there a high percentage of the time)
Derek
Trip Reports (57)

Post by Derek »

rdp32 wrote:Just to verify that I understand correctly...
Stretch from Goose Creek TH to Hankins Pass = GOOD
Stretch from Hankins Pass to McCurdy Park = BAD
Stretch from McCurdy Park all the way back to Goose Creek TH (via Refrigerator Gulch) = GOOD
Even though you marked BAD for Hankins to McCurdy, there is still a possibility of finding water in Lake Park on your way by too.
rdp32 wrote: If I did that loop, I am guessing I would camp somewhere near McCurdy Park. I have never been there... should I expect to find water there this time of year?
Best option that I find for clear running water without passing through marsh is this:
Follow the trail until you are directly east of the large rock feature in the center of the park. Leave the trail and head straight towards it. (Going west.) After exiting the trees and entering the open park area, make a hard right and head due north. You will either hit the creek, or hit a well tracked use trail that will lead to the creek within a hundred yards or so. Even in the marshiest of times (late spring) this seems to be the best option to keep yourself dry. And, you are close to the exit of the parks water flow, so it will be running higher volume than the rest of the park.

FYI - Good views camping near the rock feature mentioned above. (Photo below of the feature from the west side.)
rdp32
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rdp32 »

Thanks all, and especially thanks Derek for the detailed info. I assume there are suitable campsite locations around McCurdy park and that crowds won't be an issue in several weeks? Also, if anyone has any tips on when to time this to catch the fall colors, please let me know. I hope I get a chance to do this loop before the weather goes bad!
ezabielski
14ers: 43  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ezabielski »

rdp32 wrote:Thanks all, and especially thanks Derek for the detailed info. I assume there are suitable campsite locations around McCurdy park and that crowds won't be an issue in several weeks? Also, if anyone has any tips on when to time this to catch the fall colors, please let me know. I hope I get a chance to do this loop before the weather goes bad!
There are plenty of camping areas in the long flat-ish section of trail around McCurdy Park. There's an old foundation of a cabin there that is a particularly nice place to camp. I also like camping right before the long descent out of McCurdy Park where there is a creek very closeby.
Derek
Trip Reports (57)

Post by Derek »

rdp32 wrote:Also, if anyone has any tips on when to time this to catch the fall colors, please let me know.
This photo is from McCurdy Park on Sept 27th in 2014. Obviously year to year will vary a bit, but for this area late September seems to be a good time.