Low Peak (Under 12K) Recommendations

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Derek
Trip Reports (57)

Low Peak (Under 12K) Recommendations

Post by Derek »

Any specific recommendations?
This was a question in regards to low peaks from thread http://14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t= ... 91#p618191 Thought I'd start a new thread on this ...we had one a long (long) time ago that had some good info. Figured I'd start a new one if people want to share some good low peaks that they enjoy.

My list below is all front range. I won't give detailed info, because some of the fun of a number of these is figuring out the puzzle. (Not to mention I dont want any nasty PM's....)

Anyway...here are some close by / low (under 12K) peaks that I enjoy. Anyone else want to share?

Peak: Aiguille du Greyrock , 7,456’
Rough Location: West of Greyrock Mountain
Notes: Class 3 scramble near summit, good views…especially of Greyrock Mountain on the other side of the meadow.

Peak: Raleigh Peak , 8,191’
Rough Location: South Platte
Notes: Some fun scrambling options on the summit.

Peak: Sunshine Dome , 8,710’
Notes: Good winter hike, class 2, within the Haymen Burn with excellent views of a (now) different landscape.

Peak: Long Scraggy , 8,812’
Notes: Semi-popular (for this list at least) class 2, decent day from the west.

Peak: Blue Mountain Group (Blue, East Blue and Baby Blue)
Rough Location: Golden Gate State Park
Notes: Can keep at class 2 with route finding, and good route finding is needed when in the trees. Fun navigational challenge for those into that sort of thing.

Peak: UN10926
Rough Location: Lost Creek Wilderness
Notes: Class 4, involving ledges, caves, and crawling out of ceiling cracks. Still my favorite mountain. Ever. Add in UN11230 for more fun. Feel weird posting this one, but I really dont think it will create a wave of crowds to a random unnamed peak.

Peak: UN10620
Notes: Class 2/3, depending on route to summit. Fun summit area, bubbly rocks.
Last edited by Derek on Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
AyeYo
14ers: 13 
13ers: 13 3
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Low Peak (Under 12K) Recommendations

Post by AyeYo »

Thanks for starting this. One of the key reasons to do lower peaks is the lack of crowds, but being lower doesn't always guarantee small crowds (Bear Peak comes to mind). If everyone is going to continue with your format, it'd be cool if a line was added for light/med/heavy usage.
Derek
Trip Reports (57)

Post by Derek »

AyeYo wrote:(Bear Peak comes to mind)

Bear Peak, along with S Boulder/Green/Morrison/Falcon and other near city hikes are kind of in a whole separate category in my mind. Will always be crowded.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Anyway...here are some close by / low (under 12K) peaks that I enjoy. Anyone else want to share?
I really like the peaks in Dinosaur National Monument. In decades of exploration, I have never run into a single person or have seen a single footprint (other than our own of course) and any of the peaks there. Several peaks there are still waiting first ascents.

The peaks are quite spectacular:

This is the perfect time of year to go there. Who wants to go? :-D
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
blakhawk
Trip Reports (0)

Post by blakhawk »

The whole western slope is loaded with a plethora of peaks under 12. Ive personally enjoyed the monument,to book cliffs,grand mesa,the mamm peak complex,hogbacks,white river plateau,in and around the flat tops,red hill above gypsum(lol),red table mountain,hardscrabble,red and white mountain etc....

If i had to choose my favorite area that contains a concentration of elevation and peaks between 10 and 12'000 foot peaks it would have to be the flat tops hands down.
soybean56
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 210 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by soybean56 »

Derek wrote:
Notes: Class 4, involving ledges, caves, and crawling out of ceiling cracks. Still my favorite mountain. Ever. Add in UN11230 for more fun. Feel weird posting this one, but I really dont think it will create a wave of crowds to a random unnamed peak.
I haven't made it to that one in Lost Creek just yet, but I love exploring that area. Any details on 10926 in terms of access point, broad route overview, etc? I don't want to give away all your secrets :), but just a few notes for me to make my own adventure would be great. Thanks
Derek
Trip Reports (57)

Post by Derek »

soybean56 wrote:
Derek wrote:
I haven't made it to that one in Lost Creek just yet, but I love exploring that area. Any details on 10926 in terms of access point, broad route overview, etc? I don't want to give away all your secrets :), but just a few notes for me to make my own adventure would be great. Thanks
Here is a broad overview TR I did a few years back for it.
http://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=13019
beburke30
14ers: 25 
13ers: 123
Trip Reports (0)

Post by beburke30 »

Good thread here. Derek, wanted to say thanks for your report on PT 7774, Long Scraggy, and Raleigh. Did that back in February, that was a really fun day.
ChrisRoberts
14ers: 12 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ChrisRoberts »

Larimer County under 12K fun:

Lookout and Crystal mountains
Signal Mountains
Mount Dickinson
UN 6823
UN 6945
Round Butte
UN 7380
Turkey Roost
UN 8300
The Bald Mountains
UN 8194
UN 7135
Lonetree Mountain
Dark Mountain
Bighorn Mountain

Others I haven't climbed but look fun:

Diamond Peak(by wyoming)
Pennock Peak
UN 10720
Diamond Peaks(by Cameron pass)
UN 11330
Aiguille du Greyrock and North Greyrock
UN 10902
UN 7814
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
NoCoChris: Now with less Colorado!
Phill the Thrill
13ers: 60
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Phill the Thrill »

blakhawk wrote:The whole western slope is loaded with a plethora of peaks under 12. Ive personally enjoyed the monument,to book cliffs,grand mesa,the mamm peak complex,hogbacks,white river plateau,in and around the flat tops,red hill above gypsum(lol),red table mountain,hardscrabble,red and white mountain etc....

If i had to choose my favorite area that contains a concentration of elevation and peaks between 10 and 12'000 foot peaks it would have to be the flat tops hands down.
This time of year it's a good idea to wear blaze orange in the Flat Tops area ... or better yet, bring a bow or rifle as well. (ducking for cover).
"Everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it." - Andy Rooney
Phill the Thrill
Trip Reports (6)

beburke30 wrote:Good thread here. Derek, wanted to say thanks for your report on PT 7774, Long Scraggy, and Raleigh. Did that back in February, that was a really fun day.
I agree, that's a nice day hike in winter.
"Everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it." - Andy Rooney
Phill the Thrill
Trip Reports (6)

Derek wrote:
soybean56 wrote:
Derek wrote:
Here is a broad overview TR I did a few years back for it.
http://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=13019
Thanks, I have not climbed this yet, but it is now on the list!