Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

How not to travel in the BC

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Re: How not to travel in the BC

Postby TallGrass » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:19 pm

pills2619 wrote:These people should all be kicked in the dick, and the guy who was buried should be kicked twice.

I'm sure that would go over well.

"I was just buried in an avalanche, immobilized in the packed snow, facing hypothermia, and lucky to have an airway to breathe while being dug out, but until some sophomore kicked me twice in the junk I never gave a second thought to what I had just done."

Gal with avy equipment, "If I'm going to be 'kicked in the dick,' how much time are you going to allow me to go home and get it?"
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby RoanMtnMan » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:37 pm

pills2619 wrote:No you are not taking risks, you are just being stupid for being out there without proper recovery gear. I'm all for taking risks but this was just dumb. Imagine this if the skiers hands and face were not above the surface. It would have been a much different outcome.

And of course you can dance around what greed means to you as a skier all night long but the simple fact is when you get greedy with your risk taking you get dead. All those people who we admire are very calculated and understand that everything is calculated based on experience and confidence and a whole bunch of other stuff but if you listen to what they say they always talk about the mountain not letting them, the weather not turning. They knew when to stop.

Not too many "great" mountaineers make it to 60. A few lucky ones though. You are only considered "stupid" when something bad hits the media. Sit around with some mountaineering "legends" for a few hours and they will end up using the word luck about 100 times. They knew they were taking risks and they knew that things just happened to go favorably. I used to have a similar outlook as pills but experience and a reduction of confidence has changed my thinking. Mountaineering is still a sport of risk taking. Stupid isn't a great word for someone who may save your life one day.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby midwestcoast » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:11 pm

There's risk and there's unnecessary risk. Skiing in avalanche country, with proper equipment and preparedness, is acceptable, calculated risk. Doing it otherwise is an unnecessary risk. I have little avalanche knowledge/experience/gear and whenever my friends head out into the BC, I pass. They triggered a slide up near Stevens Pass one of those times and one rider was caught in it but ended up above the surface and uninjured in the end, he had a beacon on him and prepared friends though, if I had went back there with them that day without a beacon, who knows what could have happened.

Postby FFLpilot » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:02 am

The skier who was buried wrote a brief synopsis on the SAC site, and ends with:

"I'm sure that there are many more lessons to learn from this incident. That is the reason that I chose to let Sierra Avalanche Center make the video public. My hope was that I would receive constructive criticism and maybe force other people to review their decisions and the process by which they make those decisions. I knew that we would be flamed for our mistakes, but I'll take the flames if my mistakes will help keep others safe. My hope also is that all of the flaming does not discourage others from making public their mistakes, so that we, the backcountry community, can learn from each other. We all make mistakes, some of us more than others, I am sure, but we all make mistakes. I've watched countless avalanche videos and thought, "What an idiot!" "Why'd the dude do that?" or "That guy is completely clueless." Guess this time I'm the idiot and the clueless one. Hopefully, because I chose to share this video, you won't be the clueless one if or when things go wrong."

Despite the absolute comedy of errors (the primary of which was him choosing to lead a group of ill-equipped, inexperienced BC travelers into known avy terrain), you've got to at least respect the guy for allowing people to learn from his plethora of mistakes.

Postby schrund » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:54 pm

We did not think of the great open plains, the beautiful rolling hills, and winding streams... as "wild". Only to the white man was nature a "wilderness".
-Luther Standing Bear, Oglala Chief

Previous