Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Any skiable 14ers yet? Anywhere?

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Re: Any skiable 14ers yet? Anywhere?

Postby shearmodulus » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:31 pm

nkan02 wrote:Does anybody know if anything is skiable on Elbert right now? All most recent updates were without pix.

I wouldn't ski Elbert unless I wanted to destroy a pair of skis. There's almost no snowpack above the treeline. I didn't see any descents that looked skiable.
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads...."

Postby nkan02 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:37 pm

shearmodulus wrote:
nkan02 wrote:Does anybody know if anything is skiable on Elbert right now? All most recent updates were without pix.

I wouldn't ski Elbert unless I wanted to destroy a pair of skis. There's almost no snowpack above the treeline. I didn't see any descents that looked skiable.

Ok, ok, I got it. :) Loving this thread! Lots of good info guys. Please keep it coming.

As for Elbert, I was half considering bringing skis for the approach (to the end of the tree line), but likely not going to bother with it this time. Was reading some winter Elbert East ridge ski reports from a few winters prior and just got carried away. :P Conditions this year are definitely not what they were 2 years ago. Arghh. :(

Postby taylorzs » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:51 am

Gueza wrote:Quandary is the only one I can think of as far as coverage and avy conditions go.

Check out Taylorz's TR of Silverheels. Images 3 and 4 have Quandary in the background showing decent coverage (when compared to last season).

http://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=13227

Worth the trip? IMO I would say yes if you are looking to get one of those skier logos and a snowflake next to Quandary on your peak list and No if you are looking to get some "good turns" in.

Gueza is right, Quandary looked in to me (barely though). I actually paid a bit of attention to Quandary on the way up Silverheels the other day because I try to snowboard it atleast once every winter. It is bonier than I have ever seen it this time of year, but looked doable. The upper east bowl looked thin but you could piece together something on it.The lower east bowl is more filled in. Be careful in the lower east bowl, I once watched the entire bowl avalanche full track (about 600' wide) when I was standing center and about 20 feet above the crownline on the ridge :shock: It was impressive. You can usually ski a low angle line, <25 degrees, by hugging the skiers left side of the bowl, then drop north through some nice gladed terrain and pop out on the unplowed rd that parallels the east ridge of Quandary on the north side. From there it is a short tour back to the winter trailhead. This is often my go to line in the winter to ski Quandary when the avalanche hazard is sketchy, which it is now (my line=upper east bowl to skier's left side of lower east bowl, drop north, and ski to rd and tour back around to east ridge trailhead). There is plenty of avalanche terrain around but if you have enough training to be able to recognize avalanche terrain and if you follow that general path you can get a decent (and relatively safe) mid-winter ski descent most years.
One more thing to note, I did not think there was probably enough snow to skin on the east ridge yet ](*,) So you may have to boot up to the summit from treeline. Not positive about this, but it did not look real promising from Silverheels. The Cristo Couloir did not have enough snow to ski, and it is rarely safe to do in mid-winter anyway.
I did the Sawtooth traverse yesterday and there no snow to ski on Bierstadt anywhere. East face, north face and west slopes were all too bony to ski if anyone was wondering. I would love to hear if anyone has seen any other lines out there?
[-o<
"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds." Edward Abbey

www.14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com
www.zachtaylorsnowboarding.com

Postby Elliot » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:10 am

One can skin without damage to skins to the 13,200 or so bench and then its boot pack up the last face to the summit. A true summit ski would yield core shots, the upper east bowl looks patchy but one could hack it, lower east bowl is filled in nicely, cristo isnt in but looks better than this time last year. Hopeing for more snow before spring... Gores have better snow above treeline than the ten mile at the moment...

Postby AW007 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:08 pm

Thank you everyone for all your input! Although slightly sobering, I appreciate hearing that waiting is usually the name of the game, and that often the ski conditions are marginal this time of year. I was hoping that the San Juan 14ers might have enough snow for a ski descent, but so far it doesn’t look like anyone has posted any info on them. If anyone reading this has some beta on the snow conditions down there, please share!

Postby nkan02 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:55 am

Was on Elbert today and it is depressingly bare. It looks even worse up close than from the hwy. It is pretty much grass and rocks from above the tree line. Not worth the trip under current conditions :(

Huron, however, had pretty decent coverage up until 13k. Maybe worth a touring even if there is no summit ski at the moment. The couloirs descending to Clohesy lake looked very nicely filled from the top, although it is prime avy territory now due to angle, but maybe there is some hope for spring (*wishful thinking*).. I'll post some pix after I get home.
Aside from Huron, the rest of Sawatch look awful right now (awful = no snow).

Previous