Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Friends of Berthoud Pass

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports
User avatar
Posts: 140
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 10:15 pm
Location: Golden, CO

Re: Friends of Berthoud Pass

Postby SkiBum1287 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:14 pm

Wesley wrote:Glad you had a good day Nick. Sorry I didn't get to say hello. Lets ski sometime.


Carl, no worries! We'll definitely have to get out soon. I haven't even been to Winter Park this year. Let's hope it snows later this week like it's supposed to.
Snow!

User avatar
Posts: 1823
Joined: Sun May 20, 2007 9:30 pm
Location: Golden

Re: Friends of Berthoud Pass

Postby Carl » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:37 pm

This came up in another thread so I think it's time for a 2011/2012 season BUMP....

Friends of Berthoud Pass has recently announced it's calendar of free avalanche awareness courses (see below). They're a great refresher or intro. The presentation will also be a little different this year because we've got a new lead instructor, Justin Peacock. Although Bobski tried to convince us over the last few years that quality of snow was better than quantity, he didn't drink enough of his own Kool-Aid and has moved to Utah.

We'll also be hosting or attending a bunch of ski flicks and other events this season. The full calendar is available on our website http://berthoudpass.org/. Think snow and be safe!

2011 – 2012 Avalanche Awareness Classes

We proudly continue our free avalanche awareness classes for the 2011-2012 season.

In an informal classroom setting we provide backcountry travelers with an overview of avalanche awareness, avoidance, forecasting and rescue.

Topics such as route selection, hazard minimization, best practices, preparedness and terrain analysis are covered in a 3-hour presentation.

The class begins promptly at 7:00 p.m. and is open to the public and FREE of charge. No registration is required. Donations are gratefully accepted and benefit our grassroots avalanche education program.


Oct 25 – Lindsey Auditorium, Sturm Hall, University of Denver

Nov 3 – Bent Gate Mountaineering, 1313 Washington Ave, Golden

Nov 15 – The Oriental Theater, 4335 W 44th Ave, Denver

Nov 29 – Humanities Room 1B50, University of Colorado, Boulder

Dec 8 – Bent Gate Mountaineering, 1313 Washington Ave, Golden

Dec 12 – The Oriental Theater, 4335 W 44th Ave, Denver

Dec 13 – The Pub, US Hwy 40, Winter Park

Jan 10 – The Oriental Theater, 4335 W 44th Ave, Denver

Jan 17 – East Grand Fire Station, US Hwy 40, Winter Park

Jan 19 – Bent Gate Mountaineering, 1313 Washington Ave, Golden

Feb 18,19 – On-Snow, Berthoud Pass

New for the 2011-2012 season:

Dec 17, 18 – Resort Course, Mary Jane ski area

Mar 10, 11 – Resort Course, Mary Jane ski area

Posts: 3864
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:56 pm

Re: Friends of Berthoud Pass

Postby tmathews » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:39 pm

Carl wrote:This came up in another thread so I think it's time for a 2011/2012 season BUMP....

Friends of Berthoud Pass has recently announced it's calendar of free avalanche awareness courses (see below). They're a great refresher or intro. The presentation will also be a little different this year because we've got a new lead instructor, Justin Peacock. Although Bobski tried to convince us over the last few years that quality of snow was better than quantity, he didn't drink enough of his own Kool-Aid and has moved to Utah.

We'll also be hosting or attending a bunch of ski flicks and other events this season. The full calendar is available on our website http://berthoudpass.org/. Think snow and be safe!

2011 – 2012 Avalanche Awareness Classes

We proudly continue our free avalanche awareness classes for the 2011-2012 season.

In an informal classroom setting we provide backcountry travelers with an overview of avalanche awareness, avoidance, forecasting and rescue.

Topics such as route selection, hazard minimization, best practices, preparedness and terrain analysis are covered in a 3-hour presentation.

The class begins promptly at 7:00 p.m. and is open to the public and FREE of charge. No registration is required. Donations are gratefully accepted and benefit our grassroots avalanche education program.


Oct 25 – Lindsey Auditorium, Sturm Hall, University of Denver

Nov 3 – Bent Gate Mountaineering, 1313 Washington Ave, Golden

Nov 15 – The Oriental Theater, 4335 W 44th Ave, Denver

Nov 29 – Humanities Room 1B50, University of Colorado, Boulder

Dec 8 – Bent Gate Mountaineering, 1313 Washington Ave, Golden

Dec 12 – The Oriental Theater, 4335 W 44th Ave, Denver

Dec 13 – The Pub, US Hwy 40, Winter Park

Jan 10 – The Oriental Theater, 4335 W 44th Ave, Denver

Jan 17 – East Grand Fire Station, US Hwy 40, Winter Park

Jan 19 – Bent Gate Mountaineering, 1313 Washington Ave, Golden

Feb 18,19 – On-Snow, Berthoud Pass

New for the 2011-2012 season:

Dec 17, 18 – Resort Course, Mary Jane ski area

Mar 10, 11 – Resort Course, Mary Jane ski area


No COS dates?

User avatar
Posts: 1823
Joined: Sun May 20, 2007 9:30 pm
Location: Golden

Re: Friends of Berthoud Pass

Postby Carl » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:44 pm

Terry - I think we had an issue with the Colorado Springs venue. I'll check tonight when our instructors are together for a CPR class and post here if it looks like we might still be putting something together for COS.

Posts: 3864
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:56 pm

Re: Friends of Berthoud Pass

Postby tmathews » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:49 pm

Carl wrote:Terry - I think we had an issue with the Colorado Springs venue. I'll check tonight when our instructors are together for a CPR class and post here if it looks like we might still be putting something together for COS.


That sucks. Colorado College seems to have been pretty accommodating the last few years. If you have a specific date in mind, perhaps the folks here can help identify an alternate venue?

User avatar
Posts: 1674
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:33 pm
Location: Canon City, Colorado

Re: Friends of Berthoud Pass

Postby mtgirl » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:24 pm

I would definitely be interested in a Colorado Springs class. And I'm sure I could round up others.
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."

User avatar
Posts: 920
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:11 am
Location: The West Side

Re: Friends of Berthoud Pass

Postby EatinHardtack » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:50 am

Carl,

I have a good friend (and 14ers.com member) who is the director of housing or some sort of position of importance at CC. I will talk to her today and see if she could get something for you. If not I am sure Mountain Chalet might do something as they had a free CAIC class there last year.
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

User avatar
Posts: 1823
Joined: Sun May 20, 2007 9:30 pm
Location: Golden

Re: Friends of Berthoud Pass

Postby Carl » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:21 am

Sorry guys, doesn't look like we'll be heading to the Springs this year. When we were putting together the calendar we weren't able to get a venue lined up and now our schedule is pretty full. If we run into this issue next year I'll start a thread on here late summer to gauge interest and see if the collective can help us secure some space.

As the snow starts falling in the mountains tomorrow we're kicking off our season of avy awareness classes. Lindsey Auditorium, Sturm Hall, University of Denver, 7pm.

User avatar
Posts: 1823
Joined: Sun May 20, 2007 9:30 pm
Location: Golden

Re: Friends of Berthoud Pass

Postby Carl » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:48 am

Free avalanche awareness class tonight at Bent Gate in Golden. Starts at 7. See ya there. BYOB.

User avatar
Posts: 416
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 6:30 pm
Location: Denver (Capitol Hill)

Re: Friends of Berthoud Pass

Postby RJansen77 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:49 am

Carl wrote:Free avalanche awareness class tonight at Bent Gate in Golden. Starts at 7. See ya there. BYOB.


I'll be there! Benfromtheeast may make an appearance as well.
"But it doesn't matter if your in Valdez skiing out of a helicopter, or putzing around on a flat hill somewhere in Iowa. That adrenaline rush comes when you satisfy your most basic instinct, your own search for freedom."

-Warren Miller


I almost always wear a bathing suit when I climb. If you see me say hey!

User avatar
Posts: 279
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:24 pm
Location: San Jose

Re: Friends of Berthoud Pass

Postby TheOtherIndian » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:14 am

I'll be there for sure!
"There's only one thing I hate more than lying. Skim milk. Which is water that's lying about being milk" -Swanson, Ron

User avatar
Posts: 754
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:26 pm
Location: Red Lodge, MT

Re: Friends of Berthoud Pass

Postby Matt Lemke » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:19 am

I'll be there too
Lemke Climbs
The Pacific Coast to the Great Plains = My Playground
"Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping"
"When you come to face what you fear, let the creator guide you"

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests