Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

New Ski/Ride sub-forum

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Re: New Ski/Ride sub-forum

Postby Presto » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:49 pm

Where's the snorkel?! :D
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM

Postby Carl » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:38 pm

Nice shot George. Was about time we got a good powder day near the front range. Conditions warranted low angle only but my friend Dan visiting from Chicago wasn't complaining...

Postby msnunn » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:01 pm

Anyone been to Loveland Pass recently? I'm headed up there tomorrow and am hoping to get some idea of the conditions before I get there.

Postby ColinC » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:59 pm

Hello All,

This is my first winter riding backcountry and I am LOVING it. The other thing I fell in love with last fall was 14ers as I proceeded to climb 18 in about a month and a half. Now I feel ready and would really like to combine those loves, but do not know where to start! I have a pretty decent group of avi-trained friends that are also interested but don't know which 14rs are good ones to start with. I would like to lessen repeats as well given I have a goal of climbing them all in the near future. I have climbed all the 14ers in the Sawatch Range plus some others to just south of me. I am located in Gunnison and the closer to Gunni the better given we are some broke college kids, but willing to make the trek to ski some 14ers. I guess my question to you is what are some good 14ers to ski? what makes them good to ski? How far can you drive up? What kind of time do I need to plan given a pretty standard skinning pace? Do you normally follow the regular hiking trail up? Basically this is amateur hour 101, but I have the backcountry skills and endurance to ski 14ers just no knowledge of how to start. Can anyone help me out? Thank you so much for your time.

Sincerely,
Colin

Previous