Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

AT Gear: Skis, Bindings and Boots

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

AT Gear: Skis, Bindings and Boots

Postby Adventurgal » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:03 am

I'm in the market for AT gear, and wanted to know if anyone had advice, suggestions or recommendations on what works, doesn't work.

I'm looking at the Dynafit boots and bindings - although they are clearly lighter than other brands, are they durable enough for longer treks in the backcountry?

Also, any suggestions on skis.

Thanks.

Re: AT Gear: Skis, Bindings and Boots

Postby WarriorCat » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:24 am

I'm in the market too so I am interested in the replies you get, but am looking for used gear. Does anyone know when is the best time of year to be on the lookout for used AT gear. For example can you find lots of people dumping their old gear at the end of the season or maybe when the next years stuff starts coming out?

Postby Cruiser » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:41 am

Seems to me that the vast majority of folks who drink the Dynafit kool-aide never come back. They're so much lighter than other AT options. The pivot is smooth and comfortable for long skins. They're durable enough to handle resort use although you probably don't want to do much hucking in them. If you can afford the premium price, then go for it! Then grab a nice lightweight ski to put them on. Don't give up your weight savings by clamping them to stiff heavy skis. Without knowing your size, ski ability, and typical terrain preferences it would be difficult to recommend a specific ski though. Regardless, check out www.PMGear.com for some options. If there's fresh snow on the ground I truly love skiing my 196 Lhasas.
Where ever you are... There you are.

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:41 am

Check out the "Ski/Ride the CO Peaks" section of the forum. I just moved a bunch of ski/ride related gear posts to that sub-forum. Lots of info.

Oh, and that's where I moved this thread.
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby gsliva » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:46 am

Also check out www.wildsnow.com
Live for the Climb and the search for commitment.

Postby Adventurgal » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:54 am

Check out the "Ski/Ride the CO Peaks" section of the forum. I just moved a bunch of ski/ride related gear posts to that sub-forum. Lots of info.

Oh, and that's where I moved this thread.

Wow...great information.
Thanks.

Postby skiwall » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:33 am

WarriorCat wrote:Does anyone know when is the best time of year to be on the lookout for used AT gear.

I get all my best deals in the spring.
"A good woman knows her place is in the backcountry." - PW '08

Postby Adventurgal » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:43 pm

Has anybody tried the Dynafit Manaslu Skis?

Postby oldschoolczar » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:37 pm

I've never skiied in the backcountry and I'd like to learn more about skiing peaks... specifically how the AT setup is used.

When you guys are skiing peaks do you pack a pair of hiking/mountaineering boots along with your ski boots? I'm guessing you can't skin your way up a lot of peaks..

I've been skiing on a downhill setup at resorts for a couple decades, but I'm thinking about skiing Torrey's with my brother-in-law this season.. he's an experienced backcountry skier, but he uses a telemark setup. I'm just trying to get a general idea of necessary equipment to see if my 60L pack will work... and basically trying to learn more about skiing peaks in general (not necessarily 14ers).

Any info on this would be much appreciated.. newb websites, blogs, etc.
"Tonight I'll shave the mountain
I'll cut the hearts from pharoahs"
-Tom Waits

Postby Carl » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:55 pm

oldschoolczar wrote:I'm guessing you can't skin your way up a lot of peaks..

Right, usually can't skin up the whole way. If it's steeper than 25 degrees or so, depending on conditions, it's time to throw the skis on the back and walk/climb
(Bean & XC Snowboarder)

Only time I've brought hiking shoes is if I'm ascending a route or substantial portion of a route that is snow free. Crampons work better on ski boots than hiking shoes and carrying mountaineering boots isn't worth it. If the snow isn't supporting you to boot pack, take another look at avy conditions. Sounds like you'll want to sit down with your brother-in-law and pick his brain. Avy training and avy gear should be a priority. A backcounty setup is ideal but might not be necessary if you want to ski a peak like Torreys. Also, ski mountaineering is mostly a Spring sport in Colorado.

Even on overnight ski mountaineering trips with ropes, pickets, etc., I use a 40L backpack, maybe 50L. I've never work a 60L, but it sounds big.

Postby oldschoolczar » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:16 pm

^That's a cool picture! Thanks for the info as well.. definitely helpful. I'm a total newb to ski mountaineering...

I just assumed you wouldn't want to climb in ski boots as they're so awkward and restrictive of movement.. but that is very helpful to know!
I'll be sticking with experienced people for now, but I'd like to take Avy 1 & 2 in the future..

Man, you must have your gear dialed in to do overnight winter trips in a 40L.. that is sweet! I can barely do that in the summer but I have a lot of big, old crap gear.
"Tonight I'll shave the mountain
I'll cut the hearts from pharoahs"
-Tom Waits

Postby shaunster_co » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:19 pm

Edit: Carl beat me to this, and his advice is as always spot on.

Oldschool, I was a skier before I was a splitboarder which is basically the same equipment and fundementals as AT skiing when in hard boots.

As for approaches, in winter almost all the approaches I do, I can skin to. I am generally not brave enough to hit higher altitude above 12k that involves anything other than light scrambling in AT boots until spring. The snow, especially at higher elevations (above 12k) is usually not present in winter months [wind blown]. Typically higher elevations in this snowpack just isn't that great [or safe] until spring consolidation.

In the spring the fun begins. Snow begins to consolidate at higher elevations. Usually you can skin until the snow recedes at lower elevations. After which, for an approach I wear hiking boots or hiking shoes (usually a few miles on a trail to get to the snow), and rig my splitboard in an a-frame on the pack with a Voile strap (like Bean's avitar) :lol: Essentially rigging a ski to each side of the pack - but different people carry in different ways.

A 60L pack should be more than sufficient, possibly too much. I wear a 40L BCA pack and it offers plenty of room for avy gear, h20 bladder, jet boil, first aid, repair kit, skins if riding, extra layers, helmet, ice axe, poles, etc. The only time I wear a larger pack is on hut trips - and then I really wish I wasn't. You will find your time most enjoyable whether skiing or riding if your pack weight is kept to a minimum, but not to the point your jeopardize essential gear. A pack that is designed for the BC will be more beneficial in the long run. Especially if you ever find yourself in the unfortunate position of having to get to avy gear in a hurry.

If you are getting in to it, I would highly suggest a demo of AT equipment through a place like Bent Gate. I have had friends rent AT equipment through them for hut trips that quickly get addicted to AT skiing and return to buy in short time. Definitely try a setup with Dynafit bindings - there is no comparison IMHO. Travel in the BC with someone experienced for awhile. It has been said here many times but at a minimum do a free avy awareness class through one of the organizations like FOBP, even if your are travelling with someone more experienced. The snowpack in Colorado is unique (and I don't necessarily mean that in a good way). If you stick with it, do an AIARE Level One.

Most of all have fun! Once you get addicted to it you will find yourself craving the resort experience less, and the BC a lot more.

Next