Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

AT Gear: Skis, Bindings and Boots

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Re: AT Gear: Skis, Bindings and Boots

Postby Bean » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:27 pm

oldschoolczar wrote:^That's a cool picture! Thanks for the info as well.. definitely helpful. I'm a total newb to ski mountaineering...

I just assumed you wouldn't want to climb in ski boots as they're so awkward and restrictive of movement.. but that is very helpful to know!
I'll be sticking with experienced people for now, but I'd like to take Avy 1 & 2 in the future..

Man, you must have your gear dialed in to do overnight winter trips in a 40L.. that is sweet! I can barely do that in the summer but I have a lot of big, old crap gear.

Modern AT boots have a range of ~60 degrees of motion. Carl uses TLT5s, and I just got some Spitfires (both ~1100g/boot). Not much heavier than leather boots, warmer (if they fit right), and very precise. Biggest problem is lack of lateral ankle flexion but it's not that big a deal.

40L is plenty for an overnight, I did a few with a 30L (granted my pack was about to burst at the seams, and I had a couple items strapped to the outside). All you're adding with an overnight is a sleeping bag, bivy sack/half a tent, extra food, water filter if there's flowing water nearby (there usually is) or a stove if not. That's not much more than 5-10L of volume.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby oldschoolczar » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:36 pm

Thanks for the info fellas.. I've got a lot to learn, but you've all helped clear up some of my basic questions. I'm guessing that skiing with a heavy pack on your back is a little tricky too. I might try that out at A Basin one day and see how that works..

shaunster_co wrote:Once you get addicted to it you will find yourself craving the resort experience less, and the BC a lot more.

I hope that's the case! Will probably save me money in the long run!
"Tonight I'll shave the mountain
I'll cut the hearts from pharoahs"
-Tom Waits

Postby Bean » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:48 pm

oldschoolczar wrote:Thanks for the info fellas.. I've got a lot to learn, but you've all helped clear up some of my basic questions. I'm guessing that skiing with a heavy pack on your back is a little tricky too. I might try that out at A Basin one day and see how that works..

shaunster_co wrote:Once you get addicted to it you will find yourself craving the resort experience less, and the BC a lot more.

I hope that's the case! Will probably save me money in the long run!

Skiing with a heavy pack on its own isn't too bad, doing it with soft boots and small skis makes it a heck of a lot more challenging.

You will not save money by taking up backcountry skiing. You'll still want a pass and gear for inbounds, then you add a pair of good boots, backcountry skis with bindings and skins (and then another pair, and then another pair after that), avalanche gear, more clothing, packs..........

Postby BKS » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:40 pm

Adventurgal wrote:Has anybody tried the Dynafit Manaslu Skis?

Yes, I demoed a pair for three days. I loved the light weight on the up. Their fitted skins are fantastic - light and more grippy than other skins used in the group I was with. The ski is quite soft. I liked them on soft snow. However, the edge hold on firm snow was terrible. This is a recognized weakness of the ski. Dynafit tried to address this in the last year. Nevertheless, Dawson at wild snow calls the Manaslu a soft snow ski. The skis chatter at speed in hard snow.

I decided against this ski for skimo.

Postby BKS » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:03 pm

WarriorCat wrote:I'm in the market too so I am interested in the replies you get, but am looking for used gear. Does anyone know when is the best time of year to be on the lookout for used AT gear. For example can you find lots of people dumping their old gear at the end of the season or maybe when the next years stuff starts coming out?

I've been doing the same thing over the last year and a half - reading reviews, asking questions on this forum and shopping ebay and craigslist. There are some really good folks here who very helpful and knowledgeable. Here's my suggestions after a lengthy process:

You have to demo equipment - there is no substitute.

Constantly watch ebay and Craigslist Boulder, Denver, High Rockies, and Co Springs. Best time is ski season - not a lot listed during summer.

Forget about getting Dynafit bindings used at a bargin. Once in a while there a pair used listed, however it goes for almost as much as new. This says something about what bindings people like. The best possibility of a bargin is if it is mounted on a set of skis you might want.

Here's what I've collected over 18 months - I've spent alot of time shopping - too much according to my wife.

K2 Backlash skis- ebay $125
Dynafit Zzero boots $175
Skins - junk $10

K2 Payback women's skis with marker alpine bindings $225
Garmont Zena women's boots new $175.
Fritschi bindings with alpine skis $175

Postby pioletski » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:36 pm

Oh boy, a gear discussion! Since I'm jonesing for snow I gotta chime in...

BKS and WarriorCat - another suggestion is ski swaps which generally happen in the fall. "End of season" sales don't mean much because the AT season starts when the regular season ends and, in a good year, the AT season NEVER ENDS! It can be so much fun, hiking out to a trailhead with your skis on your back and a smile on your face, and hear the comments from the passers-by...

But I digress. The point I was going to make is that AT gear gets shredded pretty quickly, so used gear is often either something someone was dissatisfied with, or it is trashed. Rather than look for used gear, I would second what others have written here: demo until you are sure what you want, then look for deals online, etc. Be especially mindful of boots, the fit has to be pretty well perfect, which usually entails a little custom work. A good shop will throw this in if you buy boots from them, or charge you if you have bought them somewhere else. IMHO Bent Gate does a great job with bootfitting. Cheers!
The greater danger, for most of us, is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low, and we reach it.
- Michelangelo

Postby redraiderdt » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:06 pm

I have a set of K2 Shuksan ski's with AT bindings that I was toying with selling this year. I just rarely use them. I bet they are 7-8 years old and I used them last year as downhill skis at a resort and they still work great. If some of you guys want a functional starter set, send me a message. I know I have skins around somewhere (see...told you I don't use them much).

Postby Bean » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:26 pm

It's amazing where backcountry ski gear has gotten. I was doing the math, and if I get everything I'm planning on, I'll drop more than 2.5lb over my already-light setup from last year - per foot. 12 Hours of Sunlight will be fun this year.

Postby Dave B » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:32 pm

Bean wrote:It's amazing where backcountry ski gear has gotten. I was doing the math, and if I get everything I'm planning on, I'll drop more than 2.5lb over my already-light setup from last year - per foot. 12 Hours of Sunlight will be fun this year.

Interesting, and the price per ounce is?
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby ajkagy » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Bean wrote:It's amazing where backcountry ski gear has gotten. I was doing the math, and if I get everything I'm planning on, I'll drop more than 2.5lb over my already-light setup from last year - per foot. 12 Hours of Sunlight will be fun this year.

the racing boots are borderline ridiculous now. Once you go light though, you never want to go back. Fat/larger skis are sometimes overrated, especially when you can put in a lot more miles on a really light setup without getting totally worked over.

444 grams without the liner...wow
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby Bean » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:13 pm

Dave B wrote:

Interesting, and the price per ounce is?

Accounting for resale of my existing equipment at reasonable market rates, $10-11 (depending if I sell my kWs or give them away (or repurpose them with silvrettas)).

I don't pay retail, though if I'd waited a week or two I would've saved $1/oz.

Postby Bean » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:15 pm

ajkagy wrote:the racing boots are borderline ridiculous now. Once you go light though, you never want to go back. Fat/larger skis are sometimes overrated, especially when you can put in a lot more miles on a really light setup without getting totally worked over.

444 grams without the liner...wow

534g with liner.

I'm rapidly becoming a La Sportiva fanboy.

PreviousNext