Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

New Vail Gondola with heated seats and wifi

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Re: New Vail Gondola with heated seats and wifi

Postby MrFrumpylane » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:17 am

As a former liftee, I can only imagine the cluster$*@# at the end of the ride- skiers unaware they need to break away from the distraction of their wifi devices, so everyone is scrambling to put the devices away, suiting up, and exiting the gondy in a hurried/unprepared manner.

Postby gone_skiing » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:22 am

Not even you, prestone!! Ar ar ar (Tim the tool man Taylor grunt here).

Postby prestone818 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:00 am

gone_skiing wrote:Not even you, prestone!! Ar ar ar (Tim the tool man Taylor grunt here).

lol

Postby prestone818 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:01 am

hopefully they dont use the same isp as DIA, it is pathetic and might as well be free dial up.

Postby BKullman » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:33 pm

The new gondola is going to have a ride time of 7.5 minutes vs. 9 minutes for the Vista Bahn, and holds ten people.

Postby davebks » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:44 pm

the reason for this new gondola is to feed the new gourmet restaurant. period.
this comes from friends who work for vail.

it doesn't even go all the way up the mountain.
Vail Resorts are the WORST!!!! I love Vail, I hate the corporation.
[-( [-X

Postby kaiman » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:08 pm

davebks wrote:Vail Resorts are the WORST!!!! I love Vail, I hate the corporation.
[-( [-X

I'm with you there. I grew up in the area and now can't stand to go back there (unless I'm headed into the Gore Range). Pete Sibert is probably rolling over in his grave. People complain about the government wasting money, but I wonder how much the lift tickets will go up to pay for the new gondolas? Sometimes I just wish they would tear out all this crap and put t-bars and tow ropes in.
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; look well to each step; and from the beginning think what may be the end."

- Edward Whymper

Postby ajkagy » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:47 pm

kaiman wrote:
davebks wrote:Vail Resorts are the WORST!!!! I love Vail, I hate the corporation.
[-( [-X

I'm with you there. I grew up in the area and now can't stand to go back there (unless I'm headed into the Gore Range). Pete Sibert is probably rolling over in his grave. People complain about the government wasting money, but I wonder how much the lift tickets will go up to pay for the new gondolas? Sometimes I just wish they would tear out all this crap and put t-bars and tow ropes in.

I think it kind of comes with the territory since they are a corporation with over a billion dollars in revenue that has to answer to wall street. Everything is in the name of profits. I have no doubt in my mind they would develop/add new infrastructure or take away from the nostalgic factor of the ski area if they thought they could squeeze more money out of people. The only reason the ticket window prices are $110+ now is because people are still paying that much to go there. Just be glad they haven't significantly raised the prices for season passes since they could easily raise it several hundred dollars and i imagine about the same amount of people would still buy the pass.
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby Taillon75 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:51 pm

I hear they're putting one of those on Bierstadt.....
Catchy saying from someone famous.

Postby Aug_Dog » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:49 am

ajkagy wrote:
kaiman wrote:
[-( [-X

I think it kind of comes with the territory since they are a corporation with over a billion dollars in revenue that has to answer to wall street. Everything is in the name of profits. I have no doubt in my mind they would develop/add new infrastructure or take away from the nostalgic factor of the ski area if they thought they could squeeze more money out of people. The only reason the ticket window prices are $110+ now is because people are still paying that much to go there. Just be glad they haven't significantly raised the prices for season passes since they could easily raise it several hundred dollars and i imagine about the same amount of people would still buy the pass.

they don't make a whole lot of money off season pass sales relative to what they make from the newbs coming in from out-of-state ... fact is, Vail could give a rat's tit about the locals ... it's all about the tourists
Go get it

Postby davebks » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:12 pm

"Sometimes I just wish they would tear out all this crap and put t-bars and tow ropes in."
Totally. I was up there last weekend staying at the Beav and they had on a cool show made in the 80's about the early years. I can watch that stuff everyday.
It has definitely lost something. I lived in Vail for over 10 years and saw it become something completely different than what it was even when I moved there.

I try and filter out the garbage about the place and remember how awesome the mountains and most of the people are but you know... its tough sometimes.
Lionshead looks like one of those streets in a museum set in a different time trying to look like a different place. It drips all over you and totally blocks the views of the mountain, which was the whole point of the village...the mountain, but now you can't see a thing.

This gondola is just another attempt at something that isn't a good idea.

As for money, they make all their money on ski school and SSV shops. They dont really make much on lift tickets believe it or not. I worked for them for years so I can tell you, its ski school and sports stores that bring in the big bucks. I remember seeing that Two Elk made over $100,000 an hour in peak season. Which makes one wonder... why isn't parking free? or why are people paying so much to ski these days??
Parking is the town but I am pretty sure that could be made free.

It's sickening how much it costs to go there these days, but hey, don't get me started. There is SO much wrong with that corporation. If I didn't love my friends there and just being outside in the mountains so much I would never go.

If you haven't read, "Powder Burn" read it. GREAT book!!!!!!

Postby Aug_Dog » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:27 pm

noobs that ski vail ... lol ... i'd rather go to Monarch than Vail ... Copper/WP/Steamboat/Luv for three at the buzzer!
Go get it

PreviousNext