Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Best value/cost resort location for child ski lessons

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Best value/cost resort location for child ski lessons

Postby Buckeye » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:11 pm

My son turns 5 this winter and thought it be good to get him ski lessons this year. Maybe 5 classes depending on how he does. Which of the colorado ski resorts provides the best value for ski lessons?

Re: Best value/cost resort location for child ski lessons

Postby gokarengo » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:40 pm

I don't know about lessons, but you can still get him a free child season pass at Vail Resorts. Just sign up before he turns 5.

Postby climbingaggie03 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:48 pm

I usually refer people to ski cooper when it comes to learning. They don't do a 3 lesson to season pass thing like loveland for kids your son's age, but they're lessons are $85 which includes rental, lunch, lift ticket, and lesson. Also it's a smaller mountain so it's less intimidating and less crowded. Lovelands learning area isn't bad either, but the nice thing about ski cooper is you can avoid I-70 if you take 285, it's a bit farther, but just as fast as sitting in ski traffic, and much less chance of getting hit.

Postby Jim Davies » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:52 pm

Second on Ski Cooper. It's a great (and inexpensive) place to learn, and it's almost impossible to lose a kid there. The only downside is you might not feel challenged much if you're an expert, but it's a nice place to just cruise around.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby k-berger » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:10 pm

I think Eldora would be a good choice. I learned there as a kid. It has a beginner area on the left side of the mountain and is cheaper than the big resorts.

Postby Bean » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:24 pm

climbingaggie03 wrote: but just as fast as sitting in ski traffic, and much less chance of getting hit.

Citations needed. Please average in the periodic multi-hour shutdowns of 285 due to crashes on stormy days. It's 3.5 hours (per gmaps) in clear conditions from Denver to Ski Cooper via 285, whether you go up through Breckenridge or take it all the way through BV. I don't have any crash info but surely you do, to make such an assertion.

Looking forward to seeing the data backing up your assertions.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby Desert Snow » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:40 pm

I think that Loveland Resort is a good starting point for kids, it is a ski area for all ages from 6-60 and not many lines there are 2 mountains, the Loveland Valley for beginners and then the Lovaland Basin for the Intermediate/Advanced Riders. Check out some prices on their website. Happy Trails!

http://www.skiloveland.com/default.aspx

Postby snow4rider » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:12 am

Depends on where you are in the state and what pass you have. Every resort will have a psia qualified ski school. The less driving you have to do will equal out to more time on the snow and more money for new gear.

Postby funkymonkey1111 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:48 am

You might also consider Granby Ranch, which is the renamed SolVista

Postby ajkagy » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:29 am

Desert Snow wrote:I think that Loveland Resort is a good starting point for kids, it is a ski area for all ages from 6-60 and not many lines there are 2 mountains, the Loveland Valley for beginners and then the Lovaland Basin for the Intermediate/Advanced Riders. Check out some prices on their website. Happy Trails!

http://www.skiloveland.com/default.aspx

+1 short drive, cheap and a great area to learn at.
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby My-Therapy » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:43 am

We took our son to Loveland last year for Snowboarding lessons and bought the 3 Class Pass. We were very happy with the lessons he recieved and thought the price was great. You recieve 3 full day lessons (lunch included) and then a season pass.

http://www.skiloveland.com/skischool/3_class_pass.aspx

Next