Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Best value/cost resort location for child ski lessons

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Re: Best value/cost resort location for child ski lessons

Postby SummitKathy » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:56 am

We started our twins, boy & girl, skiing at 4 (almost 5) at Breckenridge. After about 5 lessons they were skiing down blues on their own. We have taken them to other resorts as well, but have definitely found the lessons at Breck to be the best. The instructors are very professional, give the kids a lot of attention and most importantly seemed to have worked with them individiually. Not only that, the kids seems to have enjoyed the lessons there the most out of anywhere we've gone. They have an unlimited lesson package that you can buy for about $500. This is pretty nice if your son really ends up liking it and wants to do more. OR if it's an epic powder day, you'll have the freedom if you need it! Overall, we found that Breck offered the best ski advancement of our kids for the best price. Good luck teaching the little one! Ours are almost 7 now and absolutely love skiing.... which was the primary goal from the start. Have fun!
“Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.”-John Muir

Postby mtree » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:05 am

If you're coming from the Front Range the Loveland 3-Class Pass is tough to beat. It's cheap and you can drop them off and hit the slopes yourself. It includes rentals, helmet, lunch and snacks. The instructors are real good and very kid friendly. Loveland usually isn't too crowded, easily accessible, decent snow, and offers terrain for every ability. Kids get a season pass when completed. Best yet, you don't have to navigate the tunnel.
"Cool Prius!" - nobody

Postby DeucesWild » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:24 am

Vail gets my vote.

Everything you could want in a mountain and more. In fact, they're already reporting a 55 inch base.
Snowflakes, Uber Alles!

www.deuceIRA.com. Put the Douche in your FiDeuceiary needs today!!

Postby siop » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:38 am

I've been a youth ski/snowboard instructor at a couple CO resorts for the last 8 years. One of the best deals I know of is the Scooters program at Copper. Its a multi-week session and the kids get a free season pass. You have the same instructor the whole time which really helps the kids progress. I taught this program several years ago and it was a great deal then, not sure what the price is like currently though. I know Keystone has a similar program and I'm sure others do as well. Also if you just want to do individual lessons, not part of a program like Scooters, pick a day/weekend that isn't super busy. On busy weekends class sizes go up dramatically. I would try to go early Dec. before Christmas. This tends to be a slow time for teaching. Depending on snow conditions the best teaching hills aren't always open in Nov which sometimes makes progressing a bit more challenging. I hope your kid has a blast wherever you decide!
"because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing the lawn. climb that goddamn mountain" -jack kerouac

"here is your chance to find your own way. go on your own. be adventuresome. don't forever seek the easiest way. go the way you find. don't demand trail signs and sturdy bridges. don't demand we show you the mountains. see them and find them yourself. here's your chance to get lost, fall in the creek, find a beautiful place." -randy morgenson

Postby Nicole and Zoe » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:37 am

My little brothers (one's 4 and the other turned 7 on our ski day) came out in January and we took them to Loveland. The drive from the front range isn't bad, the price was reasonable and if they lived here the 3 lesson-ski pass deal would be great. They had a lot of fun and really liked the instructor. I would definitely look at options that are shorter drives until you know they can handle more then half a day.
Mountains are home.

Postby madbuck » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:47 am

Bean wrote:Loveland 3-Class Pass

/thread

Bean wrote:Looking forward to seeing the data backing up your assertions.

Classic Bean! A strong opinion, pithy response...yet useful and correct.

Postby Jim Davies » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:04 pm

Yep, Loveland rules. Fortunately 99% of Colorado skiers haven't realized it yet, so there's still room in the main parking lot most days.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby forbins_mtn » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:40 pm

How about the best place for an adult to grab a ski lesson? this is my year to learn. i pick things up really fast, am very coordinated and I think it'll just take a day or two to get me started.

Postby Bean » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:39 pm

What's your ability level? Loveland has 3-class passes for adults too, beginner or not (just a different price).

Postby forbins_mtn » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:52 pm

never done it before. and i'm pretty embarrassed to even admit that. i grew up here, was too busy as a kid with other things. By the time I got to high school all my friends were near-pros and i just didn't do it. then i moved to philly and just got back a few years ago. i gotta ski down some of these high peaks! so this is my year to learn.

looks like that Loveland deal is pretty good.

Postby mtree » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:02 pm

The Loveland 3-Class Pass for adults is even a BETTER deal than the kids pass! I had friends do it last year. Can't be beat! For less than 3 Cnotes, they got 3 lessons, rentals, lunch (really!), and best yet, a SEASON PASS! They were as good as me by March! Ok. That's not saying much. Still. Awesome deal! Not sure how many days they got in, but I believe it was well over a trillion or so...at least more than me, anyway.
"Cool Prius!" - nobody

Postby Jim Davies » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:17 am

If you're going to get the 3-class pass, you might also look into a season gear rental. You'll probably want shorter skis for your first season, then next year after you're hooked you can get something more appropriate for the long term. Having a season pass and skis available makes it simpler to just head up on an impulse, so you'll wind up skiing more.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

PreviousNext