Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Vail gondola

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Vail gondola

Postby davebks » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:41 pm

Maybe im beating a dead horse, maybe this is too a bit much, or perhaps ill get in trouble over this one but does anyone else find this new gondola at Vail particularly disturbing?
Perhaps I shouldn't care so much but it seems to epitomize the troubles with the ski industry.

First, it goes straight to their new restaurant, not a coincidence. Second, a new shi shi (sp?) restaurant at midvail?? I can barely afford a burger up there!
Back to the gondola... It doesn't go to the top of the mountain (which is nuts?!!!!!) and now that you are inside it cuts off the views of one of the best lift rides Vail had to offer (besides coming over the hill at Gold Peak).

It just baffles me that they would build something like this and not go to the top. Chair 4 is going to be way worse now. I say all this and won't get into the prices to ski. I think we all know how angry people are over that issue.

Anyway, I just thought I'd vent and see what others have to say. To me it looks greedy, insensitive, against what people like most about ski resorts, and so on. And yes, the gondola comes with WIFI...!? wwwhy???

ok, that's that. I love the skiing and I love the mountain but don't love the company. They have made nothing but mistakes since the new CEO took over (and that isn't saying much coming from the Adam Aaron era). Lionshead looks like one of those fake streets in a museum set in a different time, except it drips on you and blocks the view.

I feel this way because I love Vail, but not Vail Resorts.
Last edited by davebks on Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Vail gondola

Postby MonGoose » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:50 pm

I love Vail, the shopping is fabulous.

Postby sstratta » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:52 pm

The plan is to eventually take out chair 4 and make the gondola continuous to the top, having a mid station at midvail. Not sure when this will happen though...not for at least a year or two.

Postby davebks » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:54 pm

Where did you hear that? My friends that works for Vail in Mountain Operations said that wasn't the plan...?
It could be but I haven't heard that.

Postby Steve Gio » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:58 pm

The more people eating in the $$$ restaurant the less people on the slopes. I can't affprd anything but the views so I buy my pass, bring my lunch, and don't pay to park. And I don't take the gondola anyway.

Postby davebks » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:59 pm

Steve Gio wrote: And I don't take the gondola anyway.

You will now unless you go up through Gold Peak, or hike...

Postby wildlobo71 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:13 pm

Another 12-month money making operation on the slopes of Vail attractive to both skiers and non-skiers? Is this really such a reach to consider? Tourists (not locals) will add 20%, or more, to the anticipated tab they pay up there for great views and settings.

Build that lift and take it to the top solely to improve ski mountain capacity really doesn't add too many more lift tickets purchased - skiers would have purchased them without that new lift as an enticement. Dining and alcohol are so much more profitable.
Bill W.
Yes, I have my Scotch.

Postby fleetmack » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:16 pm

MonGoose wrote:I love Vail, the shopping is fabulous.

Agreed. After 11 seasons I finally dropped the Colorado pass (er, epic local pass) this year in favor of Steamboat/Copper/Winter Park. I never went to Vail (except for shopping & drinking, like MonGoose says!), but I loved riding at BC, Breck, & Keystone. VR just pissed me off too much with the increase in price & decrease in quantity of the buddy passes*. I was in direct talks with the CEO, I have an email from him explaining his rationale, which I didn't agree with.

*Price of Buddy Passes w/ Colorado Pass/Epic Local Pass
2001: 6 @ $35
2003: 6 @ $45
2005: 4 @ $50
2006: 4 @ $59
2009: 4 @ $69
2012: 2 @ $79

Seriously? I can bring a friend 2 times per year for a "discounted" price of $79/day? After bringing up literally hundreds of guests over the past 11 seasons, and creating loyal, and annually-returning ($$$$) out-of-state tourists for Vail Resorts? This is how I'm rewarded? Stupid. Rocky Mountain Super Pass+ gives 20 passes @ $50 for friends (as well as 3 free day tickets!). All so they can fund the installation of a gondola with WiFi and such that cuts off the views.

I will use now my 20 $50 buddy passes the new pass gives me to bring all my out of town guests (and their rentals/lift tickets/food&drinks/lodging/their friends/etc.) to Copper/Winter Park/Steamboat this year. I don't care about the price of the actual pass, but must admit it was nice getting a pass cheaper this year (and my girlfriends was $120 cheaper than mine for being Faculty!)!!
</rant>

I need a beer. Who has an extra 90 Shilling?
"Cynicism and ill-humored opinion have built a stronghold called the message board. Sweet mother of God, see a f***ing shrink, people."
--Corey Taylor

Postby Matt » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:20 pm

fleetmack wrote:Agreed. After 11 seasons I finally dropped the Colorado pass (er, epic local pass) this year in favor of Steamboat/Copper/Winter Park.

I can't believe what I just read...
If anyone's doubting that the Mayans were right, the above is proof that the world's ending sooner rather than later.
I think you'll be happy with your choice.
What will you do without Keystone? It's always been so near and dear to you.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List

Postby fleetmack » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:24 pm

Trust me, I'm upset by my lack of Keystone this year! It feels like a break up!
"Cynicism and ill-humored opinion have built a stronghold called the message board. Sweet mother of God, see a f***ing shrink, people."
--Corey Taylor

Postby lordhelmut » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:29 pm

fleetmack wrote:
MonGoose wrote:I love Vail, the shopping is fabulous.

Agreed. After 11 seasons I finally dropped the Colorado pass (er, epic local pass) this year in favor of Steamboat/Copper/Winter Park. I never went to Vail (except for shopping & drinking, like MonGoose says!), but I loved riding at BC, Breck, & Keystone. VR just pissed me off too much with the increase in price & decrease in quantity of the buddy passes*. I was in direct talks with the CEO, I have an email from him explaining his rationale, which I didn't agree with.

*Price of Buddy Passes w/ Colorado Pass/Epic Local Pass
2001: 6 @ $35
2003: 6 @ $45
2005: 4 @ $50
2006: 4 @ $59
2009: 4 @ $69
2012: 2 @ $79

Seriously? I can bring a friend 2 times per year for a "discounted" price of $79/day? After bringing up literally hundreds of guests over the past 11 seasons, and creating loyal, and annually-returning ($$$$) out-of-state tourists for Vail Resorts? This is how I'm rewarded? Stupid. Rocky Mountain Super Pass+ gives 20 passes @ $50 for friends (as well as 3 free day tickets!). All so they can fund the installation of a gondola with WiFi and such that cuts off the views.

I will use now my 20 $50 buddy passes the new pass gives me to bring all my out of town guests (and their rentals/lift tickets/food&drinks/lodging/their friends/etc.) to Copper/Winter Park/Steamboat this year. I don't care about the price of the actual pass, but must admit it was nice getting a pass cheaper this year (and my girlfriends was $120 cheaper than mine for being Faculty!)!!
</rant>

I need a beer. Who has an extra 90 Shilling?

To pile on to that scam that is the VR buddy pass system, A full day at Snowbird at the window, with the tram, is 77$, peak season. Either VR is that arrogant they think they can charge that or their ticket pricers are that dumb. Either way, its comical. To play devil's advocate, Intrawest used to offer 2 free days at Whistler and Taos, but no longer. Whistler was kind of a stretch cause you had to fly there, but Taos was great. They had a billboard on the way up to Berthoud and everything, but I'm guessing that was just a way to get Coloradans jazzed about some New Mexico skiing for a few years. The 20 friends and family offer, while I'd selfishly take the 2 days at Taos for myself, is a solid way to hook your folks up when they come to visit, or buddies, etc.

Postby BenfromtheEast » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:41 pm

First of all, why is the button labeled "Font colour?" Is Bill from Great Britain?

Maybe the outrageous prices will keep people away and I can wander over to Breck at 10am on a Saturday in March for fresh tracks.

Next