Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Ski Mountaineering newbie

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Ski Mountaineering newbie

Postby Ochute » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:58 am

Hey guys,
Been really trying to get my start in ski mountaineering this season.. if it ever starts. I have been doing my homework and i think ive figured out what 14ers to do this season when the snowpack cooperates. but im running into my first big issue, im a broke college student (I know prolly didnt need to add the broke part) and i am lacking a pretty good amount of gear, crampons ice axe and good AT boots, im slowly saving my pennies for the AT boots so i can enjoy some back country around the steamboat area this winter, But i still need help with the other gear, as well as knowledgeable people to climb and ski with. ive got some experience on 14ers, albeit in summer months, and my fair share of experience backcountry skiing, where im routinely told by the guys i ski with that im "hyper controlled" and "overly cautious" which i believe both of these statements to be essential uncharacteristic for my future in the mountains.
This brings about my real point and questions. What technical gear is absolutley essential so that i can beg for or borrow it this year, and are there any more experienced guys out there that would be interested in helping me out with my first 14er ski trip, (hoping to do either elbert (it was my 1st ever 14er) or torreys (because dead dog looks awesome))?
Thanks guys

Re: Ski Mountaineering newbie

Postby USAKeller » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:24 am

Avalanche beacon, shovel, and probe.
How long after arriving at someone's house is it appropriate to ask for the WiFi password?

Postby mtngoat » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:35 am

USAKeller wrote:Avalanche beacon, shovel, and probe.

X2

Buy those first, then find a partner (they are not much help if you are by yourself)

You can rent AT gear (boots, skis, skins). Buy the life-saving stuff and practice using it. Ice axe, helmet, and crampons would round out the list but not necessary for shallow aspect stuff. The first three (as identified by USAKeller) are the first three things I REQUIRE any partner to have before I will go out with them. I could care less if they snowshoed but if we are together to keep each other safe - those are the most crucial items.
-Dave

If your life's work can be completed within your lifetime - you are not thinking big enough.

Postby Bean » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:11 am

USAKeller wrote:Avalanche beacon, shovel, and probe.

And the knowledge to use them, as well as the knowledge to keep yourself out of trouble. Friends of Berthoud Pass puts on free basic avalanche awareness classes and if money is an issue, that's a good place to start before you move on to an AIARE Level 1, etc.

Depending on what you're planning on skiing, crampons and an axe may not be necessary. I rarely bring out an axe in favor of a whippet or two, and crampons only for a "real" climb.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby FFLpilot » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:51 am

Not so sure I'd aspire to skiing Dead Dog in true winter for a first ski descent, that's a pretty lofty goal with a big price to pay if you're wrong about conditions. Once the snow actually flies, there are some other peaks that would be more appropriate to wet your feet (shallow flanks of James and Quandary, for example). Good luck with the gear hunt (go secondhand so you can get started), find a good partner, and be safe.

Postby Ochute » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:03 pm

thanks guys, i already have all my avy gear and im proficient in using it and i have my AIARE level one trying to get my level two this winter. im not new to back-country skiing only to skiing on 14ers. thanks for the input

Postby USAKeller » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:30 pm

I think it may also be worth it to buy a Black Diamond Whippet - one of my favorite pieces of backcountry ski gear. Obviously it can come in very useful on a fall on a ski descent, but I also really like using it in conjunction with my ice axe as an extra tool when climbing up steep faces or couloirs.
How long after arriving at someone's house is it appropriate to ask for the WiFi password?

Postby Ochute » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:34 pm

USAKeller wrote:I think it may also be worth it to buy a Black Diamond Whippet - one of my favorite pieces of backcountry ski gear. Obviously it can come in very useful on a fall on a ski descent, but I also really like using it in conjunction with my ice axe as an extra tool when climbing up steep faces or couloirs.

awesome ill look into gettin one its been on my list for a while.

Postby ridelinkride » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:06 pm

Thought i would chime in my lofty goals as well! I was really hoping to be able to ski a 14er this year too but my primary issue is my lack of experience.
I've slowly acquired all of the safety gear and have 2 AT set ups that i could use. What's embarrassing is i've lived in CO for almost 12 yrs and this will be my 2nd yr on the slopes! I've only skied at the resorts, never done anything backcountry yet either. Last time i skied was jr high and i'll be turning 30 this next year but it was like riding a bike. Within a cple trips i was skiing black diamonds pretty well.

The 14ers i was thinking of planning were Quandry or Bierstadt. They "seem" pretty easy but as i've never done any, idk.

Questions, comments, concerns you would like to share would be awesome in determining if this is possible for me! Thanks

Postby livetothemax96 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:44 pm

I just started last season, got my beacon for $70 at wilderness sports up in Dillon and have acquired a shovel and probe via Christmas. That funn y though thet you are talking about dead dog, that was actually my first 14er descent, if you hit it when there's a good snow pack it's really fun and aesthetic, and really not too terribly dangerous. I'd also +1 the whippet, huge confidence booster, plus you'll find it very practical, I've used mine for a lot more than just skiing as well. If you're interested in Dead Dog, I can almost guarantee that I'll be on it some time this spring, so just let me know!
whats life unless you live it?

Postby Stevo68 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:33 pm

Keep in touch I live in the front range I'm a broke college student I finally completely buying what I need. I almost always goes solo just because I don't know anyone but I'm down to tear it up

Postby scramble » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:40 pm

yeah! y'all hit me up too. i just started dinking around with backcountry skiing last year and i'm always psyched to get out.

actually not to hijack the thread, but since you said "this season" in the post...

does anyone have some suggestions for good low-avy-risk ski descents? if anybody wants to shout out some routes you've enjoyed in the past, it would be great to get some more ideas.

Next