Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

carving and rocker

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

carving and rocker

Postby kamiller43 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:21 pm

My goal for this winter is to seriously improve my technique, particularly minimizing sliding and maximizing "carving" or turning on my edges. My question is do you think that it is harder to carve on a ski with some rocker since less of the edge is in contact with the snow? I have been skiing for 3 seasons, but usually only 3-4 times per year. This year I bought a pass and decided to ski as much as possible, improve technique, so I would be more comfortable skiing in the varied conditions of the backcountry. I bought Kw sidestash skis last season before I really starting looking into "proper technique". Now that I am reading some books about technique i.e. carving and linking turns, I am thinking that these skis might be kind of tough to learn on since they are relatively fat and have some rocker. I went out today and fell a lot but maybe that is just normal when learning how to carve on any skis. Thanks!

Re: carving and rocker

Postby ajkagy » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:07 pm

having rocker on the skis will definitely reduce your contact with the snow when carving a turn, it really just depends on the extent of the rocker on the skis. the k2 sidestash isn't a fully rockered ski so you should still be fine on hardpack. I've got a pair of moment skis with their "mustache" rocker which is essentially rocker in the tip and tail for pow but plenty of edge for when you are hitting groomers. So far it's my favorite pair of skis i've ever been on. Practice will make perfect and the more days you have on the snow the better you'll get.
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby Voodoo302 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:11 am

I have a pair of K2 Obsetheds which have about the biggest rocker I've ever seen on a ski. I grew up playing hockey so the rocker makes skis more like skates (I admit I have *very* poor technique). The rocker makes it feel like cheating sometimes because they turn so easily! Anyway I find on groomers the whole edge WILL engage but you really have to commit to the carve and get way over on your edges. If you do that the length of the ski engages and makes for really poppy turns.

Postby Bethie » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:18 pm

I got a pair of K2 Got Back skis last year that are great rocker skis. I didn't even know or understand this term till after I bought them. They have elevated my skiing to a new level. I've been stuck at the same level of skiing of years. I carve so much better with these skis & turn with ease which allows me to go faster & ski longer with less fatigue. Love em & highly recommend em!
Beth
"Wherever you go, there you are..."

Postby RenoBob » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:58 pm

Yeah, a rocker is a little different animal. I bought a pair of Vokl Kendo's this year and I've noticed a difference when trying to carve a turn. My right turn is ok but the left turn really chatters under foot. I try to visualize and mimic my body position and weighting through the turn; it "feels" like I'm doing both the same but something is off with my technique to the left. Off piste the skis are great; everything I was hoping for in an all mountain ski. I've got 11 days off for the holidays and a monster storm this weekend so I'll have plenty of opportunity to work on my technique.
Some mistakes are too much fun to make only once.