Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Favorite Vail runs/areas

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Re: Favorite Vail runs/areas

Postby EatinHardtack » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:17 pm

Ah yes the bi-monthly Vail love/hate threads. For what it's worth I get the Vail resorts pass and I enjoy it. The first few years I lived here I actually purchased the Copper/WP pass and then in 2009 I switched over.

Living in Colorado Springs doesn't exactly present us snow lovers with many options to ski. It seems as though we are a geographical oddity with a minimum of two hours from every ski resort within distance for a day trip; not to mention backcountry skiing. I drive a s**t load throughout the winter to ski, sucks but that's what I do. Breckenridge and Monarch are the closest two places to where I live. I love Monarch and get there a few times a season, usually when the northern mountains get skunked and Monarch gets a ton of new. I also DESPISE I25 and I70, if I never had to drive on those two ever again I would be a happy person. Winter Park is a pain to get to from CO Springs and everytime I went to Copper I just wished I could go ahead and stop at Breckenridge and save the extra time.

With that said, I also like skiing with friends and one of my best friends lives in the Vail Valley, doesn't make a whole hell of a lot of sense for him to get the Copper/WP pass. Over the past few years we have educated ourselves on where to avoid crowds at Breck and Vail. I will honestly say that we can go to our stashes at the end of ANY powder day and find powder. People will argue with me on that, but we know where they're at and for some reason they see few riders. If I lived in Denver I think I would try and hit Winter Park up more often, I love the place. I'd also like to hit Loveland more as well because I have had some great days there also.

Vail resorts is where I ski because it's more convienent and my firends ski there as well. Coming from the south where I lived for most of my life I am happy with what I am offered for ski areas in this state and the prices compared to other states. I do find it funny that people get so pissed off about trivial stuff on here when it comes to ski areas. EVERY resort has their pros and cons.
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Postby Jim Davies » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:25 pm

Yep, all the resorts are different, except that they're all at least 110 miles from my house. We get Loveland passes because our kids were both going to Mines. I don't know that I'll change that when they're not living on the way there, as I like the small-hill feel, and Loveland has challenging enough terrain to keep me happy for years to come. The Monarch days are a nice benefit - we used one last week and it was good. I also love A-Basin, but I don't know if I could ski there exclusively - kind of small, especially early season, but spring there can be awesome.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby lordhelmut » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:30 pm

I do find it funny that people get so pissed off about trivial stuff on here when it comes to ski areas. EVERY resort has their pros and cons.

1st world problem, but still makes for amusing and enlightening debate. Getting pissed off just makes it that much better......

On a side note, I don't care what Utards say, Snowbird has no cons.

Postby RoanMtnMan » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:57 pm

lordhelmut wrote:
1st world problem, but still makes for amusing and enlightening debate. Getting pissed off just makes it that much better......

And.....that made me laugh.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby EatinHardtack » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:12 pm

lordhelmut wrote:

Agreed Brian. And the above makes me happy. Making my first pilgrimage to Utah for skiing the first week of March, Snowbird is at the top of the list. Looking forward to it.
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Previous