Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Favorite Vail runs/areas

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Re: Favorite Vail runs/areas

Postby iheshvail » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:53 pm

disregard renobob.he's right that the inbounds riding in keystone is steeper.i find keystone to be way more crowded and crowded with an army of brobra's [-X .you can beat the crowds here just come on a week day and avoid chair 4 and 11.obviously you have to checkout the backbowls and bluesky. after that here are a couple of things to keep you busy. ptarmigan ridge (probly the best view of mt of holy cross on vail) and wfo (not on the trail map) and if you like log rails the front side trees are full them.
if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

Postby gdthomas » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:59 pm

iheshvail wrote:disregard renobob.he's right that the inbounds riding in keystone is steeper.i find keystone to be way more crowded and crowded with an army of brobra's [-X .you can beat the crowds here just come on a week day and avoid chair 4 and 11.obviously you have to checkout the backbowls and bluesky. after that here are a couple of things to keep you busy. ptarmigan ridge (probly the best view of mt of holy cross on vail) and wfo (not on the trail map) and if you like log rails the front side trees are full them.

Let me be the first to inform you Reno Bob was being sarcastic.

Postby RenoBob » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:25 am

gdthomas wrote:
iheshvail wrote:disregard renobob.he's right that the inbounds riding in keystone is steeper.i find keystone to be way more crowded and crowded with an army of brobra's [-X .you can beat the crowds here just come on a week day and avoid chair 4 and 11.obviously you have to checkout the backbowls and bluesky. after that here are a couple of things to keep you busy. ptarmigan ridge (probly the best view of mt of holy cross on vail) and wfo (not on the trail map) and if you like log rails the front side trees are full them.

Let me be the first to inform you Reno Bob was being sarcastic.

No, really...Keystone's the bomb.
Some mistakes are too much fun to make only once.

Postby RoanMtnMan » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:11 am

Warning: Here comes a rant.

On a good day, Vail is great, but only for about 2 hours. It's no secret that I ski a lot, however I haven't bought a pass in two winters. It took me a few years to learn that between I-70 and the increase of pass sales for summit and vail resorts, it's become a massive fail. I had some guy at Vail kaboom my sister, out of control, at mach 5 a few years ago. She is a good skier, he was not, she got hurt, he did not. Then he had the audacity to start yelling at her as if it was her fault. That is when I decided that snowmobiles and skins would make my life a lot better. And it has.

Have fun at vail/keystone/breck/copper/the basin/the beav and loveland. Wear your helmet, and some motorcross pads if you have them. Have fun spending $15 on lunch, $10 for a beer, and $20 for parking. Have fun being surrounded by people that know less about the mountains then they do about how to operate their vehicle in the snow. Have fun with all the teenagers smoking pot in the gondola and talking some language that only resembles English. Have fun when those kids put your life at risk because they are stoned and can't hear anything because they are wearing some skull candy. Have fun standing in line for 15 minutes every time you get to the base. Have fun sitting in traffic for hours on end on I-70. And have fun skiing 3" of new snow for one run when the resort clearly reported 12".

I will be spending $0 on parking, $5 for a good sandwich, and $7 for 6 beers. Oh and skiing fresh snow with no crowds. Rant complete. I am obviously so over the Frange resorts. Sorry. They have throughly messed things up over the last decade. But there are alternatives.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby Dave B » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:25 am

RoanMtnMan wrote:and $7 for 6 beers.

All that money you're saving and you're only drinking $7 six packs? C'mon man you should be drinking some of this

Seriously though, I-70 and it's resorts blow. I got talked into A-basin for Wednesday's "powder day," 3.5 hours to drive there to ski 2" of fresh followed by helping pull a Pathfinder out of a snow bank and then helping three Russian guys from Chicago change the tire on their Cadillac, to take 3 hours driving back to FoCo. I was gone from home for 14 hours and only skied 5 of them.

Cameron Pass got close to a foot and I could have skied untracked pow all day.

Oh well, only three more days left in my 4-pack now.
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby lordhelmut » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:07 am

RoanMtnMan wrote:Warning: Here comes a rant.

On a good day, Vail is great, but only for about 2 hours. It's no secret that I ski a lot, however I haven't bought a pass in two winters. It took me a few years to learn that between I-70 and the increase of pass sales for summit and vail resorts, it's become a massive fail. I had some guy at Vail kaboom my sister, out of control, at mach 5 a few years ago. She is a good skier, he was not, she got hurt, he did not. Then he had the audacity to start yelling at her as if it was her fault. That is when I decided that snowmobiles and skins would make my life a lot better. And it has.

Have fun at vail/keystone/breck/copper/the basin/the beav and loveland. Wear your helmet, and some motorcross pads if you have them. Have fun spending $15 on lunch, $10 for a beer, and $20 for parking. Have fun being surrounded by people that know less about the mountains then they do about how to operate their vehicle in the snow. Have fun with all the teenagers smoking pot in the gondola and talking some language that only resembles English. Have fun when those kids put your life at risk because they are stoned and can't hear anything because they are wearing some skull candy. Have fun standing in line for 15 minutes every time you get to the base. Have fun sitting in traffic for hours on end on I-70. And have fun skiing 3" of new snow for one run when the resort clearly reported 12".

I will be spending $0 on parking, $5 for a good sandwich, and $7 for 6 beers. Oh and skiing fresh snow with no crowds. Rant complete. I am obviously so over the Frange resorts. Sorry. They have throughly messed things up over the last decade. But there are alternatives.

I've never used emoticons on this site and this post has inspired me to....

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

(that being said, I still love me the Boat and the Jane)

edit : On a side note, can it be agreed that these stoned, skullcandy, multi flourescent colored clothed wearin, parents funded SUV's with a grenade and DC sticker Brovilles are the most worthless species in all the world?

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:31 am

Ha!

While the OP may be a troll with visions of pot-stirring, I'll add... Could those of you who hate crowds please stay away from Vail and Breckenridge on weekdays when the lift lines are just as long as weekend lines...

lordhelmut wrote:edit : On a side note, can it be agreed that these stoned, skullcandy, multi flourescent colored clothed wearin, parents funded SUV's with a grenade and DC sticker Brovilles are the most worthless species in all the world?

Yes. Luckily, many of them are in school on weekdays.
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby lordhelmut » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:43 am

BillMiddlebrook wrote:Ha!

While the OP may be a troll with visions of pot-stirring, I'll add... Could those of you who hate crowds please stay away from Vail and Breckenridge on weekdays when the lift lines are just as long as weekend lines...

lordhelmut wrote:edit : On a side note, can it be agreed that these stoned, skullcandy, multi flourescent colored clothed wearin, parents funded SUV's with a grenade and DC sticker Brovilles are the most worthless species in all the world?

Yes. Luckily, many of them are in school on weekdays.

Wait, they are educated?

Postby Chicago Transplant » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:50 am

All the brovilles hang out in the terrain parks, the easy way to avoid them is to ride the lifts that don't serve the terrain parks. Problem solved 8)

For what its worth, I enjoy the resorts. I guess I have a bit of a different perspective though because I can walk to one, I think if I had to drive up from Denver in all that I-70 mess all the time I would feel more like the rest of you. Sometimes the lifts are crowded, but I never find the runs to be except early season when there is less terrain open. Of course I pretty much stay away from the groomers so that helps with the crowds, seems even in Vail's back bowls all of the people ride the one groomed run while the rest of the face is all yours.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:54 am

Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby RenoBob » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:30 pm

And this is the problem with Copper....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9_-52cgOBc&sns=em
Some mistakes are too much fun to make only once.

Postby fleetmack » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:42 pm

Bill just posted a link of a top-10 all time movie. And I noticed his signature is now by my favorite band of all time. Excellent. \m/

And renobob then posts an excellent video by one of my all time favorite comedians.

what the hell, i never thought i'd like a pro-vail thread so much!
"Cynicism and ill-humored opinion have built a stronghold called the message board. Sweet mother of God, see a f***ing shrink, people."
--Corey Taylor

PreviousNext