Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Favorite Vail runs/areas

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Re: Favorite Vail runs/areas

Postby RoanMtnMan » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:06 pm

lordhelmut wrote:edit : On a side note, can it be agreed that these stoned, skullcandy, multi flourescent colored clothed wearin, parents funded SUV's with a grenade and DC sticker Brovilles are the most worthless species in all the world?

I forgot to include most of that Brian, so thanks, makes me post a :lol:, though I am not sure exactly what it means. I am over it at this point though and sorry to turn the thread to negativeville. I needed to get that out.

Bill, I am not sure that these folks ever go to class. I am baffled when I see them at 1pm on a Tuesday.

And I will add that there is not a better avenue to improve your skiing skills and fitness than a whole bunch of hard resort days, but at some point, if you really get into the sport, you will also become jaded.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby tlongpine » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:32 pm

Vail is crowded. Go elsewhere.
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:52 pm

RoanMtnMan wrote:Bill, I am not sure that these folks ever go to class. I am baffled when I see them at 1pm on a Tuesday.

Hmm, maybe 30 or 40-somethings posing as snow punks. :lol:
"pants on the ground..."

But I definitely agree on the sled+ski thing to get away from it. Let me know if you'd like to get out sometime.
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby MuchosPixels » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:18 am

RoanMtnMan wrote:Warning: Here comes a rant.

On a good day, Vail is great, but only for about 2 hours. It's no secret that I ski a lot, however I haven't bought a pass in two winters. It took me a few years to learn that between I-70 and the increase of pass sales for summit and vail resorts, it's become a massive fail. I had some guy at Vail kaboom my sister, out of control, at mach 5 a few years ago. She is a good skier, he was not, she got hurt, he did not. Then he had the audacity to start yelling at her as if it was her fault. That is when I decided that snowmobiles and skins would make my life a lot better. And it has.

Have fun at vail/keystone/breck/copper/the basin/the beav and loveland. Wear your helmet, and some motorcross pads if you have them. Have fun spending $15 on lunch, $10 for a beer, and $20 for parking. Have fun being surrounded by people that know less about the mountains then they do about how to operate their vehicle in the snow. Have fun with all the teenagers smoking pot in the gondola and talking some language that only resembles English. Have fun when those kids put your life at risk because they are stoned and can't hear anything because they are wearing some skull candy. Have fun standing in line for 15 minutes every time you get to the base. Have fun sitting in traffic for hours on end on I-70. And have fun skiing 3" of new snow for one run when the resort clearly reported 12".

I will be spending $0 on parking, $5 for a good sandwich, and $7 for 6 beers. Oh and skiing fresh snow with no crowds. Rant complete. I am obviously so over the Frange resorts. Sorry. They have throughly messed things up over the last decade. But there are alternatives.

Exhibit A: http://vimeo.com/56209823#

Video taken at Blue Sky Basin yesterday only 3 hours after it had opened for the season. It looks absolutely demolished. Bet it only lasted 30-45min.

Postby RoanMtnMan » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:02 am

MuchosPixels wrote:Exhibit A: http://vimeo.com/56209823#

Video taken at Blue Sky Basin yesterday only 3 hours after it had opened for the season. It looks absolutely demolished. Bet it only lasted 30-45min.

Point well illustrated. That looks terrible to me. However, in an effort to temper my previous rant, the mentioned resorts are a good place to get out into the mountains and improve skills in a somewhat controlled environment. And they are fantastic for teaching kids, but I will take my yesterday over Blue Sky hands down. Heading up to Taylor Pass, Castle Peak's east face in the background. It wasn't too crowded or tracked up back there.

Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

Postby taylorzs » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:34 pm

I just shred the Sourdough chair gnar when I go there :-D I hear China bowl is really good too...
"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds." Edward Abbey

www.14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com
www.zachtaylorsnowboarding.com

Postby MountainMedic » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:45 pm

Vail is awesome wherever it's not crowded. I'd avoid the front side and stick to Blue Sky, Outer Mongolia, China, and Sunup. Ricky's Ridge is particularly fun on a good powder day. The quasi bowl near the front side (I forget the name) is great too if you stick to Ouzo. If you're in the mood for backcountry, the Minturn Mile is a great experience, although more so on skis than on a board. Cut the ropes on Lost Boy (patrol actually removed the ropes at the entrance in previous years) and follow the tracks straight down to Minturn (this pops you out in another town, so hitch a ride back). I've never skied the Mushroom Bowl but some folks love it.

Postby taylorzs » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:06 pm

It is fun to make fun of Vail, and even funner to make fun of the tourist culture there. I lived in the Vail area for five years and worked in the village. Minturn Mile is fun on a board too as long as you waxed it recently and have some riding skills. Pretty safe usually, although some "locals" got cliffed out above the Minturn shooting range a year or two ago when they took a really wrong turn. I never figured out how they managed that one but you can get in trouble back there I suppose. Over all relatively tame for sidecountry. A real classic ski tour is to do the Commando run from Vail pass to the ski area, ride at the ski area a bit , and end the day doing the Minturn Mile and margs at the saloon in Minturn. Mushroom bowl is fun but does see avalanches and can be dangerous. There is another particular ridge that goes out from the ski area in two places that accesses some really incredible backcountry terrain. Lots of avalanche terrain and large cliffs so I will say no more but this area, if you know it, is the greatest assett Vail has for the experienced backcountry skier/rider. You have to love the open boundary policy of Eagle county too, it opens up so much sidecountry in almost every direction.
"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds." Edward Abbey

www.14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com
www.zachtaylorsnowboarding.com

Postby RoanMtnMan » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:39 am

taylorzs wrote:Mushroom bowl is fun but does see avalanches and can be dangerous. There is another particular ridge that goes out from the ski area in two places that accesses some really incredible backcountry terrain. Lots of avalanche terrain and large cliffs so I will say no more but this area, if you know it, is the greatest assett Vail has for the experienced backcountry skier/rider. You have to love the open boundary policy of Eagle county too, it opens up so much sidecountry in almost every direction.

I will plead guilty to the fact that the Vail sidecountry has provided some great fun. But it is a lot more dangerous from an avy standpoint than most folks believe. I will also plead guilty to doing stupid stuff back there with friends in the past.

Warning: My friends and I are known for some bad language. So turn down the volume if you like, the 4 letter words don't add much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvQYcsCYzzI

Postby Aug_Dog » Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:22 pm

I've got to admit that skiing the resorts in CO has become incredibly frustrating to me. I dropped Vail resorts three seasons ago in favor of Copper/WP/Steamboat and I also buy a Loveland pass. They're all getting insanely crowded and it's just nearly impossible to get a good, full day of good snow. Oy.
Go get it

Postby lordhelmut » Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:40 pm

If there is one thing I've found over the years is no matter how much one thing makes sense over the other, thanks to the power of marketing and humans way of rationalizing things, things continue as they do.

With that being said, from my own personal observations, from a free parking, bang for your buck and ability to lose the crowds, I must say that the Copper/WP/Steamboat pass is a no brainer over the Vail Pass from a Front Ranger/non-2nd home owning person. No matter how many times that point is emphasized, it'll never see a significant change, as a large portion of the population is convinced Vail is better, which is fine, so i'm not too concerned about "letting out the secret". The Jane will always be the Jane, Eagle Wind will always be below the radar and Copper (once 100% open) will never see the masses. Which place has better terrain is open for debate, but I must say, since transitioning from Vail Pass to Copper/WP the amount of brain damage has decreased SIGNIFICANTLY. If I had a place in Vail or lived at the base of BC, like Chicago Transplant, that would be a completely different story. I'm not saying its a bad thing Front Ranger choose Vail over Rocky Mountain Super Pass, I'm just saying if they think its a better overall pass in terms of logistics, terrain and commute, they are narrow minded and not thinking it out completely. They are all great resorts, but speaking solely, 100% from a Front Ranger who is free only on the weekends, Copper/WP is, without a shred of doubt, the more logical pass.

Postby Aug_Dog » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:02 pm

lordhelmut wrote:If there is one thing I've found over the years is no matter how much one thing makes sense over the other, thanks to the power of marketing and humans way of rationalizing things, things continue as they do.

With that being said, from my own personal observations, from a free parking, bang for your buck and ability to lose the crowds, I must say that the Copper/WP/Steamboat pass is a no brainer over the Vail Pass from a Front Ranger/non-2nd home owning person. No matter how many times that point is emphasized, it'll never see a significant change, as a large portion of the population is convinced Vail is better, which is fine, so i'm not too concerned about "letting out the secret". The Jane will always be the Jane, Eagle Wind will always be below the radar and Copper (once 100% open) will never see the masses. Which place has better terrain is open for debate, but I must say, since transitioning from Vail Pass to Copper/WP the amount of brain damage has decreased SIGNIFICANTLY. If I had a place in Vail or lived at the base of BC, like Chicago Transplant, that would be a completely different story. I'm not saying its a bad thing Front Ranger choose Vail over Rocky Mountain Super Pass, I'm just saying if they think its a better overall pass in terms of logistics, terrain and commute, they are narrow minded and not thinking it out completely. They are all great resorts, but speaking solely, 100% from a Front Ranger who is free only on the weekends, Copper/WP is, without a shred of doubt, the more logical pass.

oh, there is absolutely NO QUESTION about it, particularly with our yearly 5-day trip to Steamboat. The 6 days at Steamboat alone make that pass a no-brainer for me. When Copper is rockin at 100-percent, the back bowls are unbeatable and the cat terrain is divine. One of the biggest perks of my switch away from Vail and getting a Loveland pass as well is my 3 days I get at Monarch. Place is a true gem. Monarch makes me very happy!
Go get it

PreviousNext