Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Good Xmas at A Basin!

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Good Xmas at A Basin!

Postby chrismjx » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:54 pm

Looks like it should be a pretty good Christmas at A-Basin! :-D (How do I insert an image rather than linking to it?)

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?t631alq38mfh2nq

Re: Good Xmas at A Basin!

Postby KentonB » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:46 pm

I'm there! LOL

Postby Dave B » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:35 pm

Talk about micro climate!

chrismjx wrote:(How do I insert an image rather than linking to it?)

Right click on the image, select "copy image location," then in the 14ers comment window click the "Img" button or enter the tags ( ) and paste the image location between the brackets.

However I can't seem to do it with this image because right clicking it brings up options specific to the hosting website. I created a Facebook folder specifically for photo hosting that I've made so only I can view it.
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby Jim Davies » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:46 pm

(right-click, pick "Share" and then "Embed" and select-copy-paste, etc.)
I guess Joel Gratz was in a hurry to catch his plane this morning. :wft:
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby chrismjx » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:57 pm

Ha ha! OpenSnow.com is a fantastic site and I'm very thankful for it... Can you imagine what a 900" (75ft.!!) snowpack would be like!? Where has that kind of snow been seen since the Ice Age?; and if you know of evidence otherwise, PLEASE share, because I'm super curious, and wise enough to realize I don't know what I don't know about even recent climactic patterns that may be deteriorating or gone already! I'd be especially interested on steep terrain like around Arapahoe Basin (or what about Blackcomb or the Chugach)? I think I'll ponder that while falling asleep tonight....... Ha ha! :P

Postby Jim Davies » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:53 am

Paradise at 5400' on Mount Rainier has broken 1000" for the season several times. Not in one day, though. :)

The biggest storm in the A-Basin area in my memory was the St Patrick's Day storm in 2003. Loveland reported something like 78 inches in two days. One avalanche destroyed a 100-year-old building in Silver Plume and covered I-70 after that one.
https://avalanche.state.co.us/acc/acc_co.php?accident=20030323

But that was an upslope storm and probably didn't deliver as much to the west side of the divide, even at A-Basin.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright