Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

FR backcountry conditions?

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

FR backcountry conditions?

Postby pbakwin » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:06 am

Who has been out in the front range backcountry? What's the report on conditions?
Cameron? Berthoud? Butler? Loveland? Etc.? Thx!

Re: FR backcountry conditions?

Postby jmc5040 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:47 am

Was at Berthoud on Saturday and Sunday. I made three runs on lower angle terrain on Sunday in excellent snow conditions (light and dry). There were a lot of people out there this weekend, but conditions are still great in my opinion. Many tracks have been laid in areas that were not skied a week ago on steeper terrain on the west side of the pass. I was there doing some avy training Saturday and dug a pit at pass level on a SW aspect at 34 degrees. The pit was approximately 2.5-ft deep with 5-in of depth hoar at the ground. I produced a fracture with 3 elbow taps doing a column test. The fracture was at the depth hoar interface. Be safe out there!
"My senses become heightened and the stresses of life fade with each step I take further from civilization. When I'm in the wilderness my brain and body work seamlessly together to do their finest work - a single flowing track down one of natures high peaks." - Jeremy Jones

Postby RestlessLegSyndrome » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:01 pm

Coverage is starting to improve along the FR. Yesterday Butler was enjoyable, albeit very tracked out. South faces could use a little more snow if you're worried about hitting rocks though. The mellow slopes in the alpine were skiable, but the snowpack was upside down, making for more dangerous conditions and more difficult skiing. Up north (Cameron Pass) seems to have better coverage than areas further south. It was skiable since early October.

Postby dfrizzle » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:30 pm

anyone been up to james peak wilderness area?
One foot in and one foot back, but it don't pay to live like that.
So I cut the ties and I jumped the tracks, for never to return.