Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

How not to travel in the BC

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

How not to travel in the BC

Postby Dave B » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:44 am

AIARE had this video posted on their Facebook with the title "Watch and Learn." I'm not sure that's the best caption for it.

Short summation, party of five with two shovels and two avy beacons among them all and a skier caught in a slide with terrain traps.

Luckily the guy lives.

Video Here
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Re: How not to travel in the BC

Postby VagabondSurveyor » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:39 pm

Painful to watch...

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:47 pm

Holy cow.
Besides the lack of gear on every member and shovels not together, it took them forever to get their s**t together and help the guy. How about a friggin' sense of urgency?! :shock:
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby TallGrass » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:10 pm

Try holding your breath from the time the snow stops to the time the first (only?) person starts shoveling. And if the person with the beacon/shovel doesn't know how or isn't going to be the one using it, why are they carrying it?
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby jmc5040 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:20 pm

Wow... just unbelievable how unprepared and ignorant some people are.

One of the comments states that another group had followed this group up, but decided to ski different terrain due to the conditions... "Me and my buddy took our first dozen turns off the top and stopped 15 yards from the remaining 3 members of this group while the rescue was ongoing below them. We could not see the rescue going on and they did not inform us or ask for our assistance. They just stood there like it was just any other day in the backcountry. My buddy is a fireman/EMT and could have been of great use."

Clearly they did not understand the seriousness of what was going on. Hopefully they and others learn from this!
"My senses become heightened and the stresses of life fade with each step I take further from civilization. When I'm in the wilderness my brain and body work seamlessly together to do their finest work - a single flowing track down one of natures high peaks." - Jeremy Jones

Postby ajkagy » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:25 pm

hah wow, talk about taking their sweet time. I also noticed the guy didnt even know how to put his shovel together since he was just using the blade to try and dig him out. WTF?!
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby tylermacguire » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:05 pm

Wow! That is painful to watch.

Postby EatinHardtack » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:53 pm

What the hell? Take your time crew it's only an avalanche, no need to rush. I was waiting for them to pull the guys arm out of the socket also.

Postby seano732 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:41 pm

Wow that's fricking scary. If I was that dude that was buried, the first thing I'd of done is punch the digger in his junk and scream "WTF took you so long?!?!" Seriously, he told the woman with the beacon to "take her time".... WOW. Am I the only one that thinks if his hand wasn't visible, the outcome would have been tragic? Thanks for posting # daveb

Postby MUni Rider » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:44 pm

Damn. Scary for sure. Glad to see no one died that day.

thought process: Beacons are expensive, so I'll buy a GoPro instead and just borrow her beacon.

Question: Did he really start working on digging out a ski while the guy was still half buried in the snow? Priority?

...And here dude, take the shovel, dig yourself out while I swing my arms around again.

:cartman:
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit." (Edward Abbey)

Postby leggaj5 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:53 pm

Newb question: So in this case, they could see the hand of the buried skier right away...should they have skiied to the clue before switching the beacon to search (assuming that it shouldn't take as long as it did in the video) or is the first step always to switch to search mode? Granted it shouldn't take that long to turn on search, but in a situation where every second is precious, should you act on the visible clue first?

Postby d_baker » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:53 pm

The victim seemed very relaxed.
Oh wait, that's because his friend told him to "relax, you're fine."
I can't imagine being buried like that means you're fine.

This video was a little surprising too at how unorganized it seemed to be:

Fast forward to about 7min's in.

If I'm ever involved with a rescue, I hope I have my s**t together. These videos are good examples of why being prepared and practicing rescues can hopefully save your life if a wrong decision is made, prior to getting buried.

Next